IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

One thought, if he’d caught it and thrown it in the air celebrating before his hand touched the ground it would have been given out

I suppose they will say you do that once you’re in control of your body, he wasn’t able to hence the grounding. Tbf though, like you, it’s not something i will argue to much about, i think not out and lots think out. One of those that could go either way by the looks of it 

12 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

That was out. Ball was under control and then it’s irrelevant if he puts it on the ground. Strange umpiring 

He has to be in control of two things to make the catch, the ball ✅ and his own movement ❎ 

He’s not in control of the latter. It’s in the rules. Correctly given not out. Silly, silly fielding. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I’m guessing there will be clarification. Perfectly happy to accept if I’m wrong. I’ve seen similar things given as out which is why I’m guessing the Aussies didn’t even consider it as not out.  Certainly splitting opinion on WhatsApp groups! 

It’s a case of if Starc was asked to stop as soon as he’s caught it he wouldn’t be able to and therefore not in control of his body, he’s then grounded the ball while stopping his momentum. Is primary school stuff where you’re told not to ground the ball, it’s why people will usually roll over to stop the ball hitting the floor 

If he slides and connects with the boundary rope then no one would be arguing whether it’s out or not - it’d be 6. This is no different. He sacrificed the risk of the ball bouncing out of his hand by grounding it - that sacrifice cost him the wicket. 

• Flames 1

43 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s a case of if Starc was asked to stop as soon as he’s caught it he wouldn’t be able to and therefore not in control of his body, he’s then grounded the ball while stopping his momentum. Is primary school stuff where you’re told not to ground the ball, it’s why people will usually roll over to stop the ball hitting the floor 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

He has to be in control of two things to make the catch, the ball ✅ and his own movement ❎ 

He’s not in control of the latter. It’s in the rules. Correctly given not out. Silly, silly fielding. 

Considering it’s split opinion across professionals and amateurs I’d say shows it’s not quite as clear cut. I can certainly see why it was given not out though.  And I can see why people think it was out.  I do think they should just simplify the rule though to take away any ambiguity 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

If he slides and connects with the boundary rope then no one would be arguing whether it’s out or not - it’d be 6. This is no different. He sacrificed the risk of the ball bouncing out of his hand by grounding it - that sacrifice cost him the wicket. 

Similarly if he managed to throw it in the air in celebration whilst sliding nobody would say that isn’t out. 

53 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Similarly if he managed to throw it in the air in celebration whilst sliding nobody would say that isn’t out. 

I guess it would depend what happened to the ball afterwards. Throwing the ball in the air is fine, the air isn’t the ground. The ground isn’t fine, it’s out.

But if he threw it in the air before being in control and it then landed on the ground it would be not out, if he re caught it it’s out. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I guess it would depend what happened to the ball afterwards. Throwing the ball in the air is fine, the air isn’t the ground. The ground isn’t fine, it’s out.

But if he threw it in the air before being in control and it then landed on the ground it would be not out, if he re caught it it’s out. 

I meant if he was sliding and threw it in the air to celebrate and it then hit the ground, like most fielders throw it in the air and it hits the ground. I don’t think anyone would bat an eyelid if a player did that 

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I meant if he was sliding and threw it in the air to celebrate and it then hit the ground, like most fielders throw it in the air and it hits the ground. I don’t think anyone would bat an eyelid if a player did that 

Yes, then it comes down to the did he have it under control interpretation.

I seem to remember a case where a player threw it in the air, it dropped to the ground but was given not out as he threw it in the air when not completely under control, there was no deviation in hand movement. Can’t remember the exact case though.

4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, then it comes down to the did he have it under control interpretation.

I seem to remember a case where a player threw it in the air, it dropped to the ground but was given not out as he threw it in the air when not completely under control, there was no deviation in hand movement. Can’t remember the exact case though.

Similarly there have been occasions when fielders have thrown it in the air mid dive and the catch has stood. 

• Like 1