IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

47 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its the Elephant in the room the Ben Foakes situation. I know they want consistency in their approach, but to me its totally stubborn. You don't pick your opening bowler for the entire series and stick with it, no matter what - so why do it with the wicketkeeper? Unless Foakes has shat in Brendan McCullum's trainers i don't get it.

I’ve been banging on to anyone who will listen about how Foakes must be in this XI and as the series goes on, it’s becoming pretty clear he could be the difference between winning and losing.

Aggers sums it up pretty well in his latest column:

“Talk will continue around the place of wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow, given someone of the quality of Ben Foakes is waiting in the wings.

“By my Test Match Special colleague Andy Zaltzman's calculations, Bairstow has missed eight chances in the series, but for me it was just as worrying that he left the catch off Mitchell Starc for Brook on the third evening.

“That was the wicketkeeper's catch and was a sign of someone low on confidence. Bairstow was lucky Brook did so well, running and diving from short leg.”

IMG_1831.jpeg

8 minutes ago, tin said:

I’ve been banging on to anyone who will listen about how Foakes must be in this XI and as the series goes on, it’s becoming pretty clear he could be the difference between winning and losing.

“Talk will continue around the place of wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow, given someone of the quality of Ben Foakes is waiting in the wings.

“By my Test Match Special colleague Andy Zaltzman's calculations, Bairstow has missed eight chances in the series, but for me it was just as worrying that he left the catch off Mitchell Starc for Brook on the third evening.

“That was the wicketkeeper's catch and was a sign of someone low on confidence. Bairstow was lucky Brook did so well, running and diving from short leg.”

IMG_1831.jpeg

If you are bringing in Foakes i would bat Bairstow 3. Also would be a huge risk to play Ahmed now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Super said:

If you are bringing in Foakes i would bat Bairstow 3. Also would be a huge risk to play Ahmed now.

I don’t see how they ignore the calls for Foakes now, given the mistakes Bairstow’s made and even Aggers said his confidence with the gloves looks shot. Foakes needs to come in and if Bairstow plays, it’s as a batsman only. I prefer him to play over Lawrence. 

Woakes deserves to keep his spot. I’d overlooked him mainly because I think we need a spinner and I’d have gone with Ahmed at the start of the series. 

It’s also a close call between Tongue and Jimmy, as crazy as it sounds. Jimmy’s been ineffective so far and it’d be a gamble to pick for his home Test. 

Root has to go up for three IMO. Foakes could bat anywhere from four down. 

6 hours ago, tin said:

IMG_1831.jpeg

3 pace bowlers and a raw spinner isn’t enough for me.  Woakes has to play 

• Admin

Have you got Ashes Fever after the excitement of the Cricket over the weekend??

Join The Barmy Army in Manchester next week for the 4th Test or any of our other designated Barmy Army venues dotted all over the country!

See the link below for details…??

20230711_084939.jpg

I think the openers will stay as they are. I have concerns about Crawley, but I don't think there is anyone else, and he did well in the last test.

Root is locked in at 4

Brook locked in at 5

Stokes locked in at 6

Foakes must come in and should bat at 7

Woakes to bat at 8

I've no idea who should bat at 3. Bairstow or Ali? 

As for the bowlers. Does Broad need a rest? Can Wood complete two consecutive tests, and is Stokes fit enough to cover his lack of overs? Can Anderson find form at his home ground? Do we need a spinner and select Ahmed?

Proper headache

Stokes not bowling is causing us trouble.

If he was the 4th pace bowler we could rest one of the others, bring in a full time spinner (Ahmed). Then we could drop Ali who looks out of form and bring in Lawrence at 3.

Basically Stokes not bowling is unbalancing the team, so drop Stokes! ?. Only joking, but his injury is a problem and needs sorting after the series.

Woakes has always been a class act and his presence is looking very important.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I think the openers will stay as they are. I have concerns about Crawley, but I don't think there is anyone else, and he did well in the last test.

Root is locked in at 4

Brook locked in at 5

Stokes locked in at 6

Foakes must come in and should bat at 7

Woakes to bat at 8

I've no idea who should bat at 3. Bairstow or Ali? 

As for the bowlers. Does Broad need a rest? Can Wood complete two consecutive tests, and is Stokes fit enough to cover his lack of overs? Can Anderson find form at his home ground? Do we need a spinner and select Ahmed?

Proper headache

I think Broad and Wood will be ok. Good for them that there is a good break till the next test. The decision on Jimmy will be interesting i would probably bring him in for Robinson.

• Like 1

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Didn't think they would drop Bairstow, especially after we won. However, he looks completely shot to pieces so can't see anything changing for him in the next 2 tests, apart from more misery..........sorry for the dampener! Hope he proves me wrong.

It wasn't about dropping him, it was about relieving him of the WK duties 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomF said:

Only thing going against him somewhat is he plays a far more conventional game than bazball.   His keeping is up there with Foakes thou. Exceptional talent. 

The day they don’t pick a batsman scoring hundred after hundred because he doesn’t score quickly enough is the day I give up on cricket. 

This Rew lad is almost as good as Bobby Bracey. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The day they don’t pick a batsman scoring hundred after hundred because he doesn’t score quickly enough is the day I give up on cricket. 

Well the captain has already suggested he wouldn’t pick Alastair Cook if he was a young lad coming through at Essex.

Edited by bearded_red

4 hours ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

221 not out with 71% strike rate, not bad.

Not everyone can go at over a run a ball.

Nor do they need to go at more than a run a ball.

Test cricket is a test of technique, patience, mental strength, fitness, desire. 

• Like 1

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone else down at the County Ground this afternoon for the women's ODI?

Fingers crossed we level the series points wise today

If the next game is rained off it makes it a winner takes all match at Taunton next week