IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

• Admin

Talk of a declaration this evening, that would be very interesting 

We're either going to have to get enough runs before lunch tomorrow and have two sessions at them to win. 

Or try and get them out and bat like T20 tomorrow evening to win 

5 minutes ago, Pearsonistheman said:

What a day.

Bat till lunch tomorrow with some aggression (wickets in hand) try and get 200 plus ahead and then have a go at them. Pitch staying low and cracking. Saturday looks a wash out b it Sunday is looking better.

BARMY ARMY

I see it doable only if the weather allows play on Sunday. Different weather apps saying different things

17 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Whisper it quietly but Crawley is having a very decent series. Averaging over 42, fourth most runs of any player, and third highest strike rate.

Well in, Zak.

Stats are all anyone will remember about his knock yesterday, but that was the luckiest innings I have ever seen from a top-order batsman. Five Chinese cuts, including the one that bowled him, at least a dozen play and misses. Fair play for cashing in, but he rode his luck. 

I’ve been to every Ashes Test at Old Trafford since 2005 (when Davis and I went up) and I’ve never seen us bowl so well as we did on day one, nor have I seen us get the rub of the green like we did with the bat yesterday. Everything went our way and it’ll be typical if the Aussies get away with a draw here. 

We should get 70 overs in today and I’d be looking at getting a lead of at least 150, ideally 200. Get them in this afternoon, tomorrow looks like an on-off type of day, and Sunday looks like another showery one. We can do it.

1 hour ago, tin said:

Stats are all anyone will remember about his knock yesterday, but that was the luckiest innings I have ever seen from a top-order batsman. Five Chinese cuts, including the one that bowled him, at least a dozen play and misses. Fair play for cashing in, but he rode his luck. 

We'll certainly agree to disagree here! That was one of the best innings by an opener in Ashes history. 189 at a strike rate of over 100?! It's quite literally never been done before.

An epic innings that could well go a long way to winning England this match, and if we do, and go on and win the series it'll be remembered for a very long time.

He's having a cracking series and certainly proving the doubters wrong

1 hour ago, tin said:

I’ve been to every Ashes Test at Old Trafford since 2005 (when Davis and I went up) and I’ve never seen us bowl so well as we did on day one, nor have I seen us get the rub of the green like we did with the bat yesterday. Everything went our way and it’ll be typical if the Aussies get away with a draw here. 

We should get 70 overs in today and I’d be looking at getting a lead of at least 150, ideally 200. Get them in this afternoon, tomorrow looks like an on-off type of day, and Sunday looks like another showery one. We can do it.

I do agree he rode his luck but some of those shots were text book. He earnt some good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We'll certainly agree to disagree here! That was one of the best innings by an opener in Ashes history. 189 at a strike rate of over 100?! It's quite literally never been done before.

An epic innings that could well go a long way to winning England this match, and if we do, and go on and win the series it'll be remembered for a very long time.

He's having a cracking series and certainly proving the doubters wrong

He played some sublime shots, mate, but he had more lives that two or three cats! He cashed in, though, and I agree that it was “one of the best an opener in Ashes history” — on paper, at least! ?

1 hour ago, Super said:

I do agree he rode his luck but some of those shots were text book. He earnt some good luck.

Totally agree. Some of his shots were awesome, but I make that five Chinese cuts (four that went for four and another that went for three) on top of a dozen or so wild swipes. But, you make your own luck so hats off to him.

f207ca2e-e7f6-45f2-9053-52ad635da27f.thumb.jpeg.bb2dce59592dbb2ddca9802533b113e2.jpeg

I thought Mo batted really well yesterday and it was a gutter for Root, but that grubber offers us hope to possibly win - or take great strides towards winning - the game today. The cracks are pretty big so it’s going to get uneven.

Edited by tin

The weather forecast tomorrow is absolutely dreadful, and barely better for Sunday.

I think the most likely outcome right now is that Australia retain the Ashes by default purely because of rain, at a point when we were massively ahead in the game and 80%+ likely to win.

Would be absolutely gutting for the Ashes to be decided like that with England clearly in the ascendency and a classic winner-takes-all decider at the Oval otherwise looking very likely.

Incidentally - why can’t test cricket have a reserve day in the case of a total/near-total washout?

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

If the weather holds out for a result in this and the next test I reckon we can regain.   Starc must be doubtful for next test, Lyon already out,  Cummins looks spent, Boland not lived up to the hype..  

Finger crossed. They’re already talking about how much tickets will change hands for at the Oval if it’s all square.

It would take a large sum to persuade me to part with mine whatever the state of play.

So let’s say they bowl 80 overs a day. 400 overs in the match.

If the rain prevents all the overs being bowled, why not have reserve day to bowl however many short of 400 overs they are?

You could set it at a minimum of, say, 20 overs remaining. So if they get to 380 overs it can still be a draw in five days. Would also help address the slow over rate problem.

40 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The weather forecast tomorrow is absolutely dreadful, and barely better for Sunday.

I think the most likely outcome right now is that Australia retain the Ashes by default purely because of rain, at a point when we were massively ahead in the game and 80%+ likely to win.

Would be absolutely gutting for the Ashes to be decided like that with England clearly in the ascendency and a classic winner-takes-all decider at the Oval otherwise looking very likely.

Incidentally - why can’t test cricket have a reserve day in the case of a total/near-total washout?

I was at Old Trafford on both days one and two. We lost 15 overs due to slow over rates across the two days and we could easily have made those up by playing until 7pm on both nights. We had the light and shadows weren’t a problem. There’s also no reason IMO why play can’t start before 11am.

The authorities need to do something about lost overs when we have the conditions, they could prove crucial in this Test. The time wasting going on yesterday, from the Aussies, was so obvious and frustrating to all of us in the ground. England were equally culpable on day one, mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Might as well just declare at lunch. Need to bowl them out to win so whether we do that and win by an innings or need 100 to win doesn’t really matter

Yeah, for the sake of another 10 runs or so it's hardly worth batting on.

TMS have just said they don't need to decide to declare until 10 minutes before the restart.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yeah, for the sake of another 10 runs or so it's hardly worth batting on.

TMS have just said they don't need to decide to declare until 10 minutes before the restart.

Leave it until the last possible moment then let them know 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tin said:

Another six overs lost before lunch due to Aussie time wasting. 

Time to declare now IMO. Get two sessions at them before the rain arrives. 

I hear what you say about over rates but over the course of the series England's over rate is lower than the Aussies, although they're both between 12-13 an hour. Personally I've always believed it a disgrace not to bowl 15 overs an hour. An over every 4 minutes should be a doddle. Trouble is there are no adequate in game sanctions to prevent time wasting. 

• Like 1