IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Could barely call that a drop.

Agreed, but it was a half chance all the same IMO. Sometimes they stick, most times they don’t.

I’m more disappointed in how flat we’ve been to be fair, not what I expected when we’ve got a runs on the board and an unexpected break in the weather. 

Root looks excellent. 

Just now, tin said:

Agreed, but it was a half chance all the same IMO. Sometimes they stick, most times they don’t.

I’m more disappointed in how flat we’ve been to be fair, not what I expected when we’ve got a runs on the board and an unexpected break in the weather. 

The pitch is flat and bowling is difficult. 

And no way it was even a half chance. I bet one in eight of those is pouched. 

If the ball is not moving sideways and Marnus and Marsh are playing so well I don’t know what is expected of our bowlers. The Aussies are allowed to play well 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Root looks excellent. 

Agreed on pitch. I said one in ten chance.  Same as the one at short leg then. Almost impossible 

34 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yes, I know the pitch is flat and bowling is difficult. I saw that first hand on Weds, when we grafted hard to get nine wickets. We had more about us at a time when the pitch was at its flattest than we have had today. 

I’d have liked a bit more energy, a bit more urgency, a bit more chat. The Aussies are entitled to play well, of course they are, but it’s not unreasonable to expect us to be more up for it, to get round quickly between the overs or be chirping in Marnus’s ear, for example. 

Edited by tin
  • Flames 1

From what little I saw yesterday the pitch is still good and the moisture inevitably got into the ball. This makes it impossible to shine one side and the backup plan of reverse swing in later overs relies on keeping it dry which is impossible too.

The players know it hence no buzz in the field.

Whilst the seamers have been fantastic, even though the umpires pushed England into using spinners it was probably a good move anyway. Keep Wood fresh for what time we may have today.

Another wicket and the Aus team will start to sweat. Tail enders like to play their shots, not usually very good at defending to grind out a draw.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

From what little I saw yesterday the pitch is still good and the moisture inevitably got into the ball. This makes it impossible to shine one side and the backup plan of reverse swing in later overs relies on keeping it dry which is impossible too.

Whilst the seamers have been fantastic, even though the umpires pushed England into using spinners it was probably a good move anyway. Keep Wood fresh for what time we may have today.

Another wicket and the Aus team will start to sweat. Tail enders like to play their shots, not usually very good at defending to grind out a draw.

living in OZ we all still go for the pomms in cricket. 

25 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Yep. They'd just managed to get it reversing in the last few overs on Friday night, but then as soon as they got a damp outfield yesterday that would have been the end of it.

29 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Absolutely. Someone suggested the players weren’t up for it. Nothing could be further from the truth I suspect 

Really disappointing way to lose the Ashes, default win because of the weather essentially. Don't think I've ever wanted the forecast to be more wrong than I do today. Whilst absolutely biased, I do think there should be 1 reserve day, because had we of won, would've made for an incredible finale with teh score being 2-2

It is interesting to see the teams and how they differ at this time. England looked under cooked early in the series, Aus looked in the groove after their match v India but now look tired.

It's a bit like an F1 car tyre, needs warming up but do that too soon and you lose life later on.

These tours are tough on away teams but worse back 100 years ago when you also spent 6 weeks on a ship just to get there.