IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’d give Bairstow another 2 or 3 overs of slogging just so their openers have less time to prepare and us a few more runs

I posted that before realising I’d paused the Mark Taylor interview to get some lunch and was still running 5 minutes behind.

Damned rain

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Stokes declares when he shouldn’t and doesn’t when he should. Maybe he’s contrary! 

You stole my thunder! Spot on. 

This is utterly pointless and only serves to take more time out of the game.

Can’t believe Jimmy’s coming out now. Madness.

Edited by tin

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Mad! Root and Robinson creaming it everywhere- declare

Jimmy at great danger of injury in good bowling conditions- stay out there

3 minutes ago, Super said:

It's not pointless he wants enough so he doesn't have to bat again surely?

If England bowl well and the weather holds Australia might not see out the day tbh..............their whole gameplan today revolves around it absolutely pissing it down over the weekend. England won't be batting again.

Edited by Numero Uno

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

So let’s say they bowl 80 overs a day. 400 overs in the match.

If the rain prevents all the overs being bowled, why not have reserve day to bowl however many short of 400 overs they are?

You could set it at a minimum of, say, 20 overs remaining. So if they get to 380 overs it can still be a draw in five days. Would also help address the slow over rate problem.

I still want someone to argue against this!

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Why get another 50 runs though? Just bowl them out and if that lack of 50 means we need 50 to win then get them then 

Exactly this, we can't win the game unless we take 10 wickets which is going to take a lot longer than us knocking off whatever we need. Don't think we're giving ourselves the best chance to win

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I still want someone to argue against this!

To make a decision like that in test cricket would be huge and have to be implemented in every test not just Ashes matches. 

With today's schedules it's never going to happen, if anything they'll go to 4 days.

Nice idea but absolutely no chance of it happening 

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Because rain is part of cricket and gives teams an ‘out’ if they are losing. There is always a hope that the rain will save someone from defeat which keeps it interesting and keeps a losing team interested.  

I don’t accept “rain is a part of cricket”. It’s an inconvenience for cricket. But it’s likely this series is going to be decided by the weather, and that is enormously unsatisfactory for such a high profile sporting event when there’s no good reason why couldn’t add a spare day.

Imagine if Wimbledon ended in a draw in the final because they couldn’t finish it.

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

To make a decision like that in test cricket would be huge and have to be implemented in every test not just Ashes matches. 

With today's schedules it's never going to happen, if anything they'll go to 4 days.

Nice idea but absolutely no chance of it happening 

I think the schedules should prioritise getting a result from test matches rather than letting the weather win!

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don’t accept “rain is a part of cricket”. It’s an inconvenience for cricket. But it’s likely this series is going to be decided by the weather, and that is enormously unsatisfactory for such a high profile sporting event when there’s no good reason why couldn’t add a spare day.

Imagine if Wimbledon ended in a draw in the final because they couldn’t finish it.

Draws are part of cricket tho. You can't draw a tennis match

• Like 1