IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I think England may well go down the 4 seamers route with Root as a spin option, Stokes not bowling would put too much on a 4 bowler attack including Moeen I think so I can see the first 2 tests being Anderson, Broad, Robinson and one of Wood/Tongue/Woakes, I definitely think Woakes will play at Lords as his record there is fantastic.

I think you are probably right. I doubt any seamer will play all 5 tests.

13 overs short yesterday. When will these get tough on these teams? And why can't they play until the overs are bowled? pretty sure they came off in glorious sunshine about 6pm. 

Just ridiculous.

Smith is going to be a nause this summer isn't he.
Is it just me ? I hate the Aussies when we play them, as a team and individuals, but previously when they retire I've come to like and appreciate them. A bit like Lara, Richards and the rest, when we play them hate it, then after I can appreciate the talent and the men. Most of them have been hard opponents but really interesting people, and enjoyed their post career interviews and looking back at what they have done .
I have a feeling that with Smith and Warner I will never come around to even accept them, let alone like them. Ball tampering , then crying like it was an accident ??  Didn't the repentant Smith then scrub and remark batting marks when fielding ? Then Warner quoted as saying "I don't regret anything. You make your own path, right? 

We've lost Archer ( I was really looking forward to seeing him this series) and Leach, they've started well.
I really want to stuff them but it's never easy and I think the first Test could set the tone for the Series.
Can Anderson play all series and will Wood play at all , Will Moheen be a lucky addition and will Bairstow match up behind the stumps. What Crawley will we get, the classical looking stroke player or the rabbit in the headlights ?
So looking forward to the Ashes, but really hope we start well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Is it just me ? I hate the Aussies when we play them, as a team and individuals, but previously when they retire I've come to like and appreciate them. A bit like Lara, Richards and the rest, when we play them hate it, then after I can appreciate the talent and the men. Most of them have been hard opponents but really interesting people, and enjoyed their post career interviews and looking back at what they have done .
I have a feeling that with Smith and Warner I will never come around to even accept them, let alone like them. Ball tampering , then crying like it was an accident ??  Didn't the repentant Smith then scrub and remark batting marks when fielding ? Then Warner quoted as saying "I don't regret anything. You make your own path, right? 

We've lost Archer ( I was really looking forward to seeing him this series) and Leach, they've started well.
I really want to stuff them but it's never easy and I think the first Test could set the tone for the Series.
Can Anderson play all series and will Wood play at all , Will Moheen be a lucky addition and will Bairstow match up behind the stumps. What Crawley will we get, the classical looking stroke player or the rabbit in the headlights ?

Agree mate,

I think for us to regain the Ashes, a lot of things had to go our way, one of them being injuries, I hope I'm wrong and we succeed.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

The Aussies are a very good team, but they have not faced bazball. We should go for the jugular from day one, foot down on accelarate and blitz them.

Its gonna be an amazing test series

Seeing it posted online the realisation that the world cup fixtures haven't been announced yet months out from the tournament, the BCCI still haven't informed the ICC of the schedule, you know full well the Indian team will know where and when they're playing. Before the 2019 world cup fixtures were announced 12 months out and 2015 it was 18 months.

This could be the best attack we have faced since Stokes started the revival. Bazball doesn't always come off, but if we can get a good start it may put the Aussies on the back foot and they aren't always great from there.
Our batting is probably as strong as it could be, genuine batting down to 8/9 . The bowling will be interesting, can Moheen hold down an end, how do we balance our attack ? Really looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Great to see both teams docked money, India 100% of their match fee, Australia 80% for slow over rate.

Great interview with Tres just now on Sky talking about the 2005 Ashes. What a series that was, barely a boring session never mind day

Doesn’t go far enough. Teams should have runs added to the opposition as extras during the game. Every hour.  Bowl 12 overs the opposition get 25 runs. 13 overs its 15 runs. 14 overs it’s 5 runs. Get back to 15 overs per hour 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Doesn’t go far enough. Teams should have runs added to the opposition as extras during the game. Every hour.  Bowl 12 overs the opposition get 25 runs. 13 overs its 15 runs. 14 overs it’s 5 runs. Get back to 15 overs per hour 

Agree but as the Indians are the main offenders, they can’t even get a T20 match played in a reasonable time, I doubt much will change 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

2005 will never be bettered, it’s crazy to think potentially Aus could have gone 2-0 up with one hit but on flip side after that win at Edgbaston England could have easily ended up winning 4-1.

Magical summer that 

A wonderful series and, of course, it was available to watch on TV.

The 2010/11 series, however, was not available to me - my internet was pretty poor back then - and I was obliged to listen on the radio; Radio 5, I believe.

Unfortunately, the radio reception in France was pretty poor also, so I was forced to sit in my car to listen as the reception was very good.

You can imagine the looks I received from neighbours taking their children to school, when I was sitting in my car listening to the radio, often in my dressing gown and sometimes cheering - at 07H00!

I tried to explain on several occasions, but they just thought I was mad, as did my wife and children.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TomF said:

2005 will never be bettered, it’s crazy to think potentially Aus could have gone 2-0 up with one hit but on flip side after that win at Edgbaston England could have easily ended up winning 4-1.

Magical summer that 

Fitting it was Richie Benaud's last commentary in this country.

A truly great series.

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Yep not sure I’ll ever see England dominate in Aus as much as 2010/11. That was a very special side at it peak. 

When the kids have flown the nest in some 20 years me and the wife plan to do an ashes series in Aus. I just hope test cricket is still going.. 

You may not like Mark Nicholas as a commentator/presenter, and the days of Derek Underwood; Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson; even Ray Illingworth, Geoff Boycott and John Snow may be a little bit before your time, but you may enjoy this article. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/my-life-through-the-ashes-from-deadly-derek-through-warnie-to-stokes-boys-1381073

On 13/06/2023 at 00:04, PHILINFRANCE said:

A wonderful series and, of course, it was available to watch on TV.

The 2010/11 series, however, was not available to me - my internet was pretty poor back then - and I was obliged to listen on the radio; Radio 5, I believe.

Unfortunately, the radio reception in France was pretty poor also, so I was forced to sit in my car to listen as the reception was very good.

You can imagine the looks I received from neighbours taking their children to school, when I was sitting in my car listening to the radio, often in my dressing gown and sometimes cheering - at 07H00!

I tried to explain on several occasions, but they just thought I was mad, as did my wife and children.

It’s funny you say that. I was living in Carcassonne in 2005 so well out of reach for any English radio.

But during the 3rd test, I had a job at a house high up in the Black Mountains. After a couple hours there one day I got fed up with the station I was listening to and decided to retune.

Imagine my surprise when all of a sudden I could hear a voice say “and Trescothic plays that back down the pitch to McGrath” It was a very dodgy reception that would come and go but at least I could keep up with the score.

A French electrician working in the house thought I was mad listening to this barely audible radio. He was even more incredulous when days later he found me unsuccessfully trying to tune in again, asking if it was another cricket match I said no, the same one still going and it’s looking like a draw! 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 2

So Taunton won’t get a men’s international game until 2032 at earliest, would’ve been nice to be chucked a T20 once every few years. 

the women’s team not playing as much at Taunton either being much more spread about 

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Think a lot will depend on Stokes' ability to bowl, if he has to stop then its a big ask on Moeen to hold down an end to allow the others to rotate

Judging by that team he'll be needed to bowl quite a few overs.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Was always going to be that team. Work diary cleared Friday for sofa viewing and then off to edgbaston Saturday. Can’t wait.  Stokes will barely bowl. Choice between Broad and Wood was always going to be Broad. Just hope they don’t regret it if wicket is flat 

Stokes will have to bowl.