IGNORED

7 years ago today

Am I being paranoid or does England suffer more bad decisions than other nations?

1986; the hand of God incident should have led to a sending off for deliberate handball by Diego Maradonna.

Euro Championships in Portugal; England had a goal ruled out because, seemingly for no other reson, it would eliminate the host nation.

2012; as shown in the OP, a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Just now, 22A said:

Am I being paranoid or does England suffer more bad decisions than other nations?

1986; the hand of God incident should have led to a sending off for deliberate handball by Diego Maradonna.

Euro Championships in Portugal; England had a goal ruled out because, seemingly for no other reson, it would eliminate the host nation.

Geoff Hurst smashing one off the underside of the crossbar onto the goal line. He'd have never scored the 4th goal that day in the break away as the Germans pushed and we'd have lost on penalties...

:thumbsup:

Just now, 22A said:

Chuck in the disallowed goal v Argentina in 1998. I think Sol Campbell had another one disallowed in a later tournament, but memory might be playing tricks on me.

1 minute ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Geoff Hurst smashing one off the underside of the crossbar onto the goal line. He'd have never scored the 4th goal that day in the break away as the Germans pushed and we'd have lost on penalties...

:thumbsup:

No penalties then; it would be a replay (again at Wembley) on the Wednesday night. Tickets & programme master copies were at the printers in case the Saturday game was drawn.

13 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Chuck in the disallowed goal v Argentina in 1998. I think Sol Campbell had another one disallowed in a later tournament, but memory might be playing tricks on me.

Campbell had a goal disallowed vs Portugal. Ended 2-2 and we lost on penalties is my memory.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Campbell had a goal disallowed vs Portugal. Ended 2-2 and we lost on penalties is my memory.

I'm sure the Campbell disallowed goal was in extra time v Argentina in 1998 WC in extra time when it was 2-2 and England had been down to ten men due to Beckham's little flick kick.

3 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I'm sure the Campbell disallowed goal was in extra time v Argentina in 1998 WC in extra time when it was 2-2 and England had been down to ten men due to Beckham's little flick kick.

Both happened!

I was only 2 or 3 for the Argentina game, so no wonder I couldnt remember it.

Plus don't forget the qualifying game v Holland where Koeman should've been sent off for a blatant pro foul on Platt as he was going through on goal but even though he was clearly the last defender the ref issued a yellow! That was in the early part of the game. Not long after, Holland had a free kick and Koeman blasted it in! England lost narrowly and were thus pipped by Holland to USA 1994. It is the match where Graham Taylor tells the ref's assistant that the ref has cost him his job.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Plus don't forget the qualifying game v Holland where Koeman should've been sent off for a blatant pro foul on Platt as he was going through on goal but even though he was clearly the last defender the ref issued a yellow! That was in the early part of the game. Not long after, Holland had a free kick and Koeman blasted it in! England lost narrowly and were thus pipped by Holland to USA 1994. It is the match where Graham Taylor tells the ref's assistant that the ref has cost him his job.

6'20" onwards. I urge younger views to cover their eyes and ears to avoid ever knowing Andy Sinton was once an England player.

I remember this one well. I was in South Wales with my then mrs, my best mate and we were at her mums house. First time any of them had seen me watch football. Ball went in and I went up because I knew he scored. The next three minutes were me going barmy at the tv and cursing Blatter under the sun for not getting goal line in. They just laughed at me, especially the Welsh girls. Funnily enough I never had them in the same room as me for watching football again!

1 hour ago, handsofclay said:

I still want to punch Ronald Koeman every time I see him being interviewed! 

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Just looked it up and we are both right regarding Campbell. He had twice had goals disallowed, when they were perfectly legit, for England in extra-time, and on both occasions the score was 2-2! 

was it Campbell against france who had a perfectly good goal disallowed too? 2004? then Zidane went on to win it for the french

3 hours ago, handsofclay said:

.... and that he did not like orange?  

The subsequent free kick after the foul on Platt was blatently encroached upon by the Dutch defence and the free kick the Dutch scored from was actually taken twice as England's wall got done for encroachment on the first.  

The night had a very, very thick plot to it. 

What is also commonly not mentioned in the Anglo-centric history books is that Holland had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed earlier in the game.

The ref was German, incidentally.

Let's not forget also that we were two-nil up in the home tie before Gazza was injured and the perpertraitor only received a yellow, which could've been red.  It ended 2-2 with a last minute Dutch equaliser.

Seven years since that shambles in S.Africa!  Where does the time go?

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

The subsequent free kick after the foul on Platt was blatently encroached upon by the Dutch defence and the free kick the Dutch scored from was actually taken twice as England's wall got done for encroachment on the first.  

What is also commonly not mentioned in the Anglo-centric history books is that Holland had a perfectly legitimate goal disallowed earlier in the game.

Let's not forget also that we were two-nil up in the home tie before Gazza was injured and the perpertraitor only received a yellow, which could've been red.  It ended 2-2 with a last minute Dutch equaliser.

Forgot about that with the encroachment at the free kicks, not pulled up on when the Dutch did it but pulled up on when England did it. 

Am I correct in saying that the refs at both that Dutch game and the Germany game in 2010 were never allowed to ref again as a result of their absolutely disgraceful performances?

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Very true about the disallowed Dutch goal in the 2-0 game in 93. Without checking, if memory serves it was Rijkaard, disallowed for offside, but clearly onside. Conveniently overlooked!

Looking back over that qualifying campaign it's easy to complain about the Koeman / Assenmacher injustice - but we were our own worst enemies at times. Letting slip a 2-0 lead at home to Holland (key Des Walker mistake if memory serves), one of the worst England performances of all time in the 2-0 loss in Oslo, and two very preventable goals conceded in Rotterdam (I still think David Seaman should have saved both) - these were all equally as prominent in explaining why we didn't qualify. 

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Very true about the disallowed Dutch goal in the 2-0 game in 93. Without checking, if memory serves it was Rijkaard, disallowed for offside, but clearly onside. Conveniently overlooked!

Looking back over that qualifying campaign it's easy to complain about the Koeman / Assenmacher injustice - but we were our own worst enemies at times. Letting slip a 2-0 lead at home to Holland (key Des Walker mistake if memory serves), one of the worst England performances of all time in the 2-0 loss in Oslo, and two very preventable goals conceded in Rotterdam (I still think David Seaman should have saved both) - these were all equally as prominent in explaining why we didn't qualify. 

Blowing a lead home to Norway before Taylor's tactical masterclass in the return fixture.

Plus an awful display away to Poland, salvaging a point late on.

For all the respect I had for Taylor as a club manager, the 3 years he was in charge of the national team were a horror show.

When I think of England performances over history, abject failure and crap management is a much stronger theme for me than injustice and bad luck.

I only follow England games to make me appreciate that following City is relatively modest on the pain scale.

Archived