IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

City Mike

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Warnock on radio this morning taliking about new season

Said he was happy that he was allowed to spend £3 million on two players

(The second player was Danny Ward for £1.6m plus add ons)

That leaves £1.4m (plus ? Add ins ?) for Tomlin

Ouchhhhh ££££

Sounds about right to be honest. Deals these days are rarely just solid chunks of cash. I imagine a significant part of the fee we paid for Tomlin was conditional/clause based - some of which was probably never realised.

I hope he does brilliant things for Cardiff and we get more cash, just not against us!

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ouchhhhh ££££

As Abraham Lincoln once said ,

" don't believe everything you read on the internet ".

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sounds about right to be honest. Deals these days are rarely just solid chunks of cash. I imagine a significant part of the fee we paid for Tomlin was conditional/clause based - some of which was probably never realised.

I hope he does brilliant things for Cardiff and we get more cash, just not against us!

I thought, sadly it was about what we'd get for him

on a side note - Warnock took one of his players off in one of their pre season games to see how they coped / work on playing with ten men as they will have to at some point in the season

Like him , loathe him, admire him or respect him, or not - He knows how to prepare

He was saying he was really pleased with the spirit in the dressing room and how vital that was in the Championship

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

on a side note - Warnock took one of his players off in one of their pre season games to see how they coped / work on playing with ten men as they will have to at some point in the season

Like him , loathe him, admire him or respect him, or not - He knows how to prepare

He was saying he was really pleased with the spirit in the dressing room and how vital that was in the Championship

I have no idea how much we paid for him upfront and how much - if anything - we lost in pure cash terms. But I'm sure a fair chunk of the fee to Bournemouth would have been clauses and addons  

But getting him off the wage bill frees up considerably wages so swings and roundabouts. It's been done to death but I think it can't be held against the club for trying with Tomlin. 

I hope it works out well for him, as it will benefit us financially, but I'm fairly confident that he'll be picking up another big signing on bonus somewhere before his contract is up....

I love to hate Warnock in his role as pantomime villain, but he's a good manager. Though he doesn't seem to get the better of Bristol City very often!

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

If Tomlin was in the team  it was like playing with 10 men.

Warnock is a XXX stirrer and he says these little things to have a dig at someone. In this case us because generally there has been a good vibe about letting Tomlin go. No love lost is there between Warnock and City and I think it is his way of trying to annoy us or at least seeing if someone takes the bite.... looks like it worked. I dont believe we would have sold Tomlin for half what we paid. We probably covered the costs of his original purchase, perhaps a little less. Still good business for a a prima donna who was not prepared to fight for the cause.  

Believe it or not but it appears that we now have a pretty solid recruitment process behind the scenes which everyone is buying into and thus, I think we probably got what we paid for Tomlin with some £ up front and others performance related. Twas the same with Kodjia.  

30 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ouchhhhh ££££

Cmon BBSB, you know better than to believe Colin!  Having said that, I'd take £1.5m for LT, and the free up if his wages.  If it is anywhere near £2.9m, even better.

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

He's only lost 4 out of 14 matches as manager against us....he does get the better of us...

Also drew 4 so a record of around 1.5ppg according to this.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/neil-warnock/bilanz/trainer/1527

6 wins against us, but we have the playoff game. I'd say his record against us is probably about par. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He's only lost 4 out of 14 matches as manager against us....he does get the better of us...

I was thinking recent encounters. 

Under LJ we've played 3(?) times IIRC and it's honours even ? How many of the other 10 were draws in which no one got the better of anyone?

Thought he didn't get a lot of joy versus us in his Palace days.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I was thinking recent encounters. 

Under LJ we've played 3(?) times IIRC and it's honours even ? How many of the other 10 were draws in which no one got the better of anyone?

Thought he didn't get a lot of joy versus us in his Palace days.

Well even just looking at recent encounters, he's won 4 of his last 5 against us, and drew the other one....it's all here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/neil-warnock/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/1527/gegner_id/698

48 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I can't hope anyone does well for Cardiff, somethings are more important than money.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Also drew 4 so a record of around 1.5ppg according to this.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/neil-warnock/bilanz/trainer/1527

6 wins against us, but we have the playoff game. I'd say his record against us is probably about par. 

If you count the play off victory as better than a league win then it's par I suppose, but the fact remains he's won more against us than he's lost and he's won 4 and drawn 1 of his last 5 games against us....

49 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Warnock is a XXX stirrer and he says these little things to have a dig at someone. In this case us because generally there has been a good vibe about letting Tomlin go. No love lost is there between Warnock and City and I think it is his way of trying to annoy us or at least seeing if someone takes the bite.... looks like it worked. I dont believe we would have sold Tomlin for half what we paid. We probably covered the costs of his original purchase, perhaps a little less. Still good business for a a prima donna who was not prepared to fight for the cause.  

Believe it or not but it appears that we now have a pretty solid recruitment process behind the scenes which everyone is buying into and thus, I think we probably got what we paid for Tomlin with some £ up front and others performance related. Twas the same with Kodjia.  

I believe LJ's number one objective this summer, was to see the back of Lee Tomlin, and I think we know SL would be prepared to "back him" in this, whatever that meant (ie taking a bit of a hit on the money side on this player/deal).

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I believe LJ's number one objective this summer, was to see the back of Lee Tomlin, and I think we know SL would be prepared to "back him" in this, whatever that meant (ie taking a bit of a hit on the money side on this player/deal).

Thank god

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

If Tomlin was in the team  it was like playing with 10 men.

39 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Most games in which Tomlin is picked?

From Walesonline last week, describing Lee Tomlin's performance at Shrewsbury:

"Out of possession the 28 year old buzzed around the pitch and it was his pressing that helped to peg Shrewsbury back for the majority of the opening half in Shropshire."

You couldn't make it up....

42 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Warnock is a XXX stirrer and he says these little things to have a dig at someone. In this case us because generally there has been a good vibe about letting Tomlin go.No love lost is there between Warnock and City and I think it is his way of trying to annoy us or at least seeing if someone takes the bite.... looks like it worked. I dont believe we would have sold Tomlin for half what we paid. We probably covered the costs of his original purchase, perhaps a little less. Still good business for a a prima donna who was not prepared to fight for the cause.  

Not this sh*te again.

Warnock is on record as admiring our club - it's the Blue Few he can't stand, dating back to his time at Notts County (were you around then?)

His admiration is fact, not some internet speculation that gets repeated so often it gets a life of its own like the idea that "there's no love lost".

If you don't believe me, read his autobiography - it's there in black and white, no reason to be playing games writing that. Other examples are available on request.

So. Despite losing a massive play-off semi to us, despite getting punched by some tw*t after that game, despite the phantom Sears goal - all good reasons to dislike us intensely, you'd think - my opinion is that Warnock has no problem with City. That's an opinion based on solid facts (ie. Warnock's own words). But feel free to form an alternative opinion of him based on internet supposition, if that's your thing.

FWIW, he's a manager capable of getting 101% out of the resources available to him, frequently at a level City have not distinguished themselves at. For this reason - leaving aside some of his questionable barbs, digs and rants (often said in the heat of the moment) - I think he's exactly the sort of manager who could get us out of this division inthe right direction. The powers that be at City have gone down a different route now, so we'll never know.  

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not this sh*te again.

Warnock is on record as admiring our club - it's the Blue Few he can't stand, dating back to his time at Notts County (were you around then?)

His admiration is fact, not some internet speculation that gets repeated so often it gets a life of its own like the idea that "there's no love lost".

If you don't believe me, read his autobiography - it's there in black and white, no reason to be playing games writing that. Other examples are available on request.

So. Despite losing a massive play-off semi to us, despite getting punched by some tw*t after that game, despite the phantom Sears goal - all good reasons to dislike us intensely, you'd think - my opinion is that Warnock has no problem with City. That's an opinion based on solid facts (ie. Warnock's own words). But feel free to form an alternative opinion of him based on internet supposition, if that's your thing.

FWIW, he's a manager capable of getting 101% out of the resources available to him, frequently at a level City have not distinguished themselves at. For this reason - leaving aside some of his questionable barbs, digs and rants (often said in the heat of the moment) - I think he's exactly the sort of manager who could get us out of this division inthe right direction. The powers that be at City have gone down a different route now, so we'll never know.  

Was he just being "nice" about us, though, to keep his job opportunities as plentiful as possible? We are ideally placed for 1. Championship football and 2. Not far from his tractor. No one better for these two criteria. Was he being cute?

Rovers he can speak ill of because 1. He thinks ill of them and 2. He is not and never going to be, wanting or in need of any work there.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

Was he just being "nice" about us, though, to keep his job opportunities as plentiful as possible? We are ideally placed for 1. Championship football and 2. Not far from his tractor. No one better for these two criteria. Was he being cute?

Rovers he can speak ill of because 1. He thinks ill of them and 2. He is not and never going to be, wanting or in need of any work there.

Blimey, I thought I was cyncial...

Archived