IGNORED

Lee Tomlin

City Mike

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Nail on the ******* head.

Oh but he's a maverick, troubled soul! That's what makes him so Tomlin

**** off. 

The fact that Tomlin could learn an awful lot from Tammy about attitude (his mum still buys his trousers!) speaks volumes. 

Exactly. Being talented is not an excuse for not putting a shift it. Don't like the tactics? Don't like where you're being played? That's fine, ask for a transfer, lobby the coach to change things, whatever. But you could still look like you give a shit

I would say that Tomlin is a joy to watch when he's on form, but he just wasn't all last season. If he was 18 I would give him the leeway that some others do, but he's 28

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

if Tomlin was as good as his ego thinks he is, he'd be at Real Madrid, The fact Cardiff are in for him (a mid table club at best at the moment) says it all, no prem club will touch him because he hasn't got the tools to be a success there,

So if we ever had ambitions of being a prem club we'd of got rid of him anyway, Look at the teams that have gone up recently, most have done it by hard work and have the ability to grind out results, We've got the hard work but we can't grind out results, 

Certainly shown we can. Two distinct spells of playoff form last season that people conveniently forget. Just need to establish how to be more consistent at doing it. 

Building a team around hard working players would be the number one priority for me and it seems LJ sees it the same way after trying and failing on multiple times to accommodate Tomlin. 

Reality is we looked a better team (operative word) when he wasn't in it. We win and lose as a team, no room for individuals who don't pull their weight in this league anymore IMO. 

Can anyone confirm if there has actually been any credible sources confirming that Cardiff are actually interested? So far OTIB have basically told one of our most technically gifted players to **** off because of a tweet from a random twitter user. 

I know a couple of ITKs on here claim it is a goer, but with the greatest respect, without knowing who their source is it could just be the twitter rumour being recycled everywhere. Until there is something more concrete are we not just getting ahead of ourselves.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Certainly shown we can. Two distinct spells of playoff form last season that people conveniently forget. Just need to establish how to be more consistent at doing it. 

Building a team around hard working players would be the number one priority for me and it seems LJ sees it the same way after trying and failing on multiple times to accommodate Tomlin. 

Reality is we looked a better team (operative word) when he wasn't in it. We win and lose as a team, no room for individuals who don't pull their weight in this league anymore IMO. 

I disagree, during that bad spell if we had the ability to grind out results we would of picked up 7 or 8 more points and still had a bad spell,

We looked so much better without him in the side, we looked better going forward and defensively, it was more exciting with JP running at defenders and Taylor dragging people out of position as well, I had more fun watching the 1-0 at brighton then I did watching the 3-2 come back against barnsley 

LJ couldn't get the best out of Tomlin, his dad couldn't get the best out of Evander Sno or Lee Trundle, Cotts struggled with JET and Osman couldn't cope with Jacki. It's a familiar story, but these players are maverick as most describe and as such, they don't seem to fit into a traditional team formation, meaning that for them to be able to play their game they need other players to fill in allow them to do their stuff and we've struggled to do that with Tomlin, as have other City teams with the others listed. 

From a fans point of view he's brilliant to watch, as he breaks the log jam of two teams set up to cancel each other out, he's the antidote to dull, mundane football. His ability to do the unexpected is what makes you quicken your pace on the way to the ground, it causes total chaos for the opposition and there's nothing more beautiful to watch when it works. But at our standard of the game we don't seem to got those around him to have dealt with the flip side where is we loose the ball, the opposition counter attack, we're out of position because he's out of position and we're a goal down only moments after we nearly scored at the other end.

So as we seem to be unable to deal with the down side of having a messiah, probably best sell him for as much money as possible and watch him dazzle a bit before they too decide they're letting in too many goals with him in the side. 

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I disagree, during that bad spell if we had the ability to grind out results we would of picked up 7 or 8 more points and still had a bad spell,

We looked so much better without him in the side, we looked better going forward and defensively, it was more exciting with JP running at defenders and Taylor dragging people out of position as well, I had more fun watching the 1-0 at brighton then I did watching the 3-2 come back against barnsley 

That was my point Monkeh. We have shown in two distinct spells that we can do it, we don't always actually do it. 

28 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

LJ couldn't get the best out of Tomlin, his dad couldn't get the best out of Evander Sno or Lee Trundle, Cotts struggled with JET and Osman couldn't cope with Jacki. It's a familiar story, but these players are maverick as most describe and as such, they don't seem to fit into a traditional team formation, meaning that for them to be able to play their game they need other players to fill in allow them to do their stuff and we've struggled to do that with Tomlin, as have other City teams with the others listed. 

From a fans point of view he's brilliant to watch, as he breaks the log jam of two teams set up to cancel each other out, he's the antidote to dull, mundane football. His ability to do the unexpected is what makes you quicken your pace on the way to the ground, it causes total chaos for the opposition and there's nothing more beautiful to watch when it works. But at our standard of the game we don't seem to got those around him to have dealt with the flip side where is we loose the ball, the opposition counter attack, we're out of position because he's out of position and we're a goal down only moments after we nearly scored at the other end.

So as we seem to be unable to deal with the down side of having a messiah, probably best sell him for as much money as possible and watch him dazzle a bit before they too decide they're letting in too many goals with him in the side. 

Sorry to go back on this again, but I don't buy this 'couldn't get the best out of' and 'couldn't cope with' notion.  The person who can't cope with Tomlin is Tomlin, not the manager.  That was certainly true of Jacki as well.  You can argue (and I wouldn't) that these players shouldn't have been bought in the first place, but once they are wearing the Bristol City shirt it is up to them to fit in with the plans and deliver the goods.  Both Tomlin and Jacki seem to have felt that they were bigger than the club, and they weren't.

I don't actually think that was true of Sno and Trundle.  I may be on my own here, but I could never see what all the fuss was with Sno.  I don't recall him ever being outstanding, and I don't think that was the manager's fault.  Trundle was given every chance to shine at the start of the season but simply failed to deliver and, rather like Tomlin, found himself omitted in favour of a (more mundane) formula that worked.  In the end he knuckled down and Johnson found a role for him, but I'm afraid I think he just found the Championship to be a level too high.  Interesting that most of his tricks were against pretty poor opponents...

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sorry to go back on this again, but I don't buy this 'couldn't get the best out of' and 'couldn't cope with' notion.  The person who can't cope with Tomlin is Tomlin, not the manager.  That was certainly true of Jacki as well.  You can argue (and I wouldn't) that these players shouldn't have been bought in the first place, but once they are wearing the Bristol City shirt it is up to them to fit in with the plans and deliver the goods.  Both Tomlin and Jacki seem to have felt that they were bigger than the club, and they weren't.

I don't actually think that was true of Sno and Trundle.  I may be on my own here, but I could never see what all the fuss was with Sno.  I don't recall him ever being outstanding, and I don't think that was the manager's fault.  Trundle was given every chance to shine at the start of the season but simply failed to deliver and, rather like Tomlin, found himself omitted in favour of a (more mundane) formula that worked.  In the end he knuckled down and Johnson found a role for him, but I'm afraid I think he just found the Championship to be a level too high.  Interesting that most of his tricks were against pretty poor opponents...

Possibly, but for these players to be able to play "their" game, they must be allowed the freedom to do their thing, which means at times they won't fit into the traditional team formation. They'll have to roam around on the pitch picking up balls where they're not expected to be and as such, the rest of the team need to be able to adjust and cope with this bloke doing so say random stuff on the pitch. Regrettably, the team around him haven't been able to do this well enough to make it worth him being in the side and if you ask him to play a traditional team role then he's not as effective and he can't cope with it. As for the ego thing, well we knew that before we had him, it's part of what he is and partly what makes him do the truly astonishing things he does, he feeds off the adulation and knows he can walk the walk. The flip side of this in his case is seems (and this is where I agree with you most) is a big load of "if he can be bothered" and that his team mates have to work extra hard when he's on a downer, which for someone in the middle of the park is a problem and a risk almost not worth taking. Hence why he'd appear on the left on the team sheet or not at all, as we've got used to LJ doing. 

I agree that Sno didn't have an attitude problem. He was unquestionably the most talented player on the pitch (as witnessed City v Ajax) but we couldn't seem to find a place for him on the pitch, but Ajax could, he ran the game, everything went through him. He received a stand ovation from the City home crowd ! which is pretty unusual, in fact the only other person I can recall getting one was Leon Britton playing for Swansea years ago. We just don't seem to be able to build a team around a maverick player or have given up trying. Our best bet going forward would be to get someone on the middle of the park who can be our play maker, a hard working box to box player who can dictate play and put a shift in,  The last time we had someone who was able to run the game on his own Brian Tinnion or Paul Hartley. They both fitted into the team structure and didn't leave us exposed at the back.

Just now, Lord Northski said:

Possibly, but for these players to be able to play "their" game, they must be allowed the freedom to do their thing, which means at times they won't fit into the traditional team formation. They'll have to roam around on the pitch picking up balls where they're not expected to be and as such, the rest of the team need to be able to adjust and cope with this bloke doing so say random stuff on the pitch. Regrettably, the team around him haven't been able to do this well enough to make it worth him being in the side and if you ask him to play a traditional team role then he's not as effective and he can't cope with it. As for the ego thing, well we knew that before we had him, it's part of what he is and partly what makes him do the truly astonishing things he does, he feeds off the adulation and knows he can walk the walk. The flip side of this in his case is seems (and this is where I agree with you most) is a big load of "if he can be bothered" and that his team mates have to work extra hard when he's on a downer, which for someone in the middle of the park is a problem and a risk almost not worth taking. Hence why he'd appear on the left on the team sheet or not at all, as we've got used to LJ doing. 

I agree that Sno didn't have an attitude problem. He was unquestionably the most talented player on the pitch (as witnessed City v Ajax) but we couldn't seem to find a place for him on the pitch, but Ajax could, he ran the game, everything went through him. He received a stand ovation from the City home crowd ! which is pretty unusual, in fact the only other person I can recall getting one was Leon Britton playing for Swansea years ago. We just don't seem to be able to build a team around a maverick player or have given up trying. Our best bet going forward would be to get someone on the middle of the park who can be our play maker, a hard working box to box player who can dictate play and put a shift in,  The last time we had someone who was able to run the game on his own Brian Tinnion or Paul Hartley. They both fitted into the team structure and didn't leave us exposed at the back.

if you need to adjust 9 other outfield players to fit one in on the off chance he may do something sublime then you are wrong, you need 10 outfield players running through walls for each other especially in the championship

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

if you need to adjust 9 other outfield players to fit one in on the off chance he may do something sublime then you are wrong, you need 10 outfield players running through walls for each other especially in the championship

Agreed. As such, get rid for as much cash as possible. 

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He only earns 20k a week, why should he take any responsibility for his performances? 

Agreed B86 but us pedants here would like you to edit your post! 

Please replace the word Earns with Gets.

I doubt very few players deservedly earn such a wage.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Agreed although he will do very well for the sheep fiddlers.

i think he will have a good first half of the season then sink back into being a waste, like he's done at every club he's been at bar peterborough

Archived