IGNORED

Tomlin to Cardiff - CONFIRMED

Ian M

Wouldn't be sad to see him go. It seems when things weren't going his way he threw a fit and sulked. People like that don't get handed second chances. He was given 25-30 games to perform and he never did. If we recoup 2m for him then it's good business. 

As for the position we've got plenty of options even I don't mention a certain Swedish player. Paterson, Reid, Brownhill, Hegeler and De Girolamo can all play that position behind the striker which we may not even need if we keep the 442. I know Bobby is every bit the marmite player here but I thought he consistently performed last year until Smith got fit and then Bobby was dropped for no reason. He was our second a third leading scorer most of the season and didn't get nearly the minutes of many others. Take out penalties and free kicks and bobby scores more than Tomlin. He's a cracking player going forward and often covered for Tomlin in the 4231 we played at the start of last season. Would get in the forward positions when Tomlin would get frustrated and drop deep then always get back into his spot when defending. 

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This disappoints me a lot. 

Arguably our most exciting signing ever is seemingly being shipped out. People have bad patches of form, but you give them chance to re-find it, not get rid of them at the first chance. 

Truth is we haven't had the best of LT and now he's off. That makes me disappointed. And it's clear it's because he and LJ didn't get on.

What makes me more disappointed is that people are seriously considering Bobby Reid as a viable alternative. Jesus wept. 

You more than probably anyone else on this forum should understand the saying about 'one bad apple' and I suspect the other bad apple may not be injured as well???????

What I would say is that we aren't a good enough team to play with 10 players for 85 minutes of every game & this maybe the reason for him going?

If we played with 11 players for 90 minutes of every game last season, we may not of been in the trouble we were. That extra player could of been the difference in us conceding crucial goals & he certainly didn't score enough to win us crucial points.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, agree. Classy player. You aren't in United's academy if you haven't got genuine talent. I predict at the very least he'll be a mid-tier Premier League midfielder within 3 years.

If not with us, with the likes of Swansea, Burnley or Huddersfield.

Yes, and no.

Goes back to what I was saying to someone else about youth recruitment about a week ago where I said our scouts wouldn't be badly reflected on if some players didn't make it with us.

Of course for the Man Utds and Arsenals the cut off threshold to decide if they make it is higher, but so is the quality of coaching, facilities and the sheer number of young players brought in.

Yet the lower leagues are littered with players from these clubs that didn't make it.

Kilkenny, Wynter, JET, and countless others from Arsenal, we have Lucic who didnt make it with Bayern and so many other players besides.

(I do think Brownhill will play in the Prem though)

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I would say that we should sell him but it will be sad if he goes.  There was always a chance of brilliance with him on the pitch.  

Who else in this team does anyone get really excited about watching?  Not many.  

Sell and invest in a top quality winger who can beat a man.

It's true we just didn't see it at all last season. A top quality winger with pace would be a dream. Go to France or Portugal for one of those. Loads of them. They won't have the perfect end product yet but they seem to be adapting to the league well. 

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

So could he of been going to see Coldplay at The Principality Stadium?

Well I suppose so.. doubt it though, can't exactly imagine him belting out 'yellow'.

I don't follow him on there so can't say exactly when it was posted. Think it's far more likely that he's off for a medical personally.

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

What I would say is that we aren't a good enough team to play with 10 players for 85 minutes of every game & this maybe the reason for him going?

If we played with 11 players for 90 minutes of every game last season, we may not of been in the trouble we were. That extra player could of been the difference in us conceding crucial goals & he certainly didn't score enough to win us crucial points.

Exactly the same reason as I've posted elsewhere about Jacki. Great ball players but not team players.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes, and no.

Goes back to what I was saying to someone else about youth recruitment about a week ago where I said our scouts wouldn't be badly reflected on if some players didn't make it with us.

Of course for the Man Utds and Arsenals the cut off threshold to decide if they make it is higher, but so is the quality of coaching, facilities and the sheer number of young players brought in.

Yet the lower leagues are littered with players from these clubs that didn't make it.

Kilkenny, Wynter, JET, and countless others from Arsenal, we have Lucic who didnt make it with Bayern and so many other players besides.

(I do think Brownhill will play in the Prem though)

You've proved my point really - players who are at these top Prem clubs (perhaps with the exception of Chelsea) by 18/19 are viewed as those that could go onto have a successful career and be sold on and/or genuinely contend for the first team. I feel JET had the talent (not the application) to play at the top level. Wenger said as much.

At that stage it's down to fine margins - application, poor life choices, too much money, lack of focus, injury.. those are the deciding factors at that age.

United are a bit different, generally their academy isn't a horde of players like Chelsea or Man City - it's a slightly smaller pool of players they attempt to nurture. 

I would be very concerned if Bobby Reid was our first choice CAM going into the season. Has always shown promise, but always faded after a couple of games in the team. Who knows where O Dowda will play, but my hope is that we use the Tomlin money and reinvest it.

As for Tomlin, any want for him to succeed, either at City or anywhere else, is gone. Bye bye.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Well I suppose so.. doubt it though, can't exactly imagine him belting out 'yellow'.

I don't follow him on there so can't say exactly when it was posted. Think it's far more likely that he's off for a medical personally.

I maybe in the minority but if we get anywhere near the £2m mentioned & if we can get all of his wages off the budget then happy days!

A season of playing with 11 players every game would be a marked improvement on playing with 10 for the majority of last season.

And let's not forget, Cardiff will have money to play with from getting Whittingham & Lambert off their wage budget.

It's happening, if we can get anywhere near the fee we paid for him we'll have done very well. If Cardiff take on all his wages (Lambert's have just been freed up) we'll have much more for more signings ourselves. Tomlin doesn't fit with the 442 so we can actually get players in who fit. 

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

It's happening, if we can get anywhere near the fee we paid for him we'll have done very well. If Cardiff take on all his wages (Lambert's have just been freed up) we'll have much more for more signings ourselves. Tomlin doesn't fit with the 442 so we can actually get players in who fit. 

Nail on the head. Players to fit a system and style of play, not the other way around !

2 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

But we don't have players to fit that system do we? We have one winger, a young one in that of O'Dowda.

Paterson seems to do alright out on the wing, Brownhill did alright as a wide midfielder last season. But even so selling Tomlin frees up money to potentially buy a winger if needed.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Paterson seems to do alright out on the wing, Brownhill did alright as a wide midfielder last season. But even so selling Tomlin frees up money to potentially buy a winger if needed.

I see neither of them a winger, especially Brownhill. Although he did a decent enough job. Long term not a chance. He'll probably say the same thing. I hope we can find a position for him and he doesn't become a Jack of all trades.

Just now, pride of the west said:

If this goes through, we have to show a proper interest in Watkins from Exeter.  

Why? I mean I've never really watched him, but a 1 in 4 scoring record in league 2? We were expecting bigger things from Wes, Bobby, Joe etc at that age

9 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

But we don't have players to fit that system do we? We have one winger, a young one in that of O'Dowda.

But with in theory an extra £2m coming into the budget & an extra £20k p/w also available, it will allow us room to manoeuvre & bring in someone to fit the system & get used more effectively (hopefully).

Irrespective of Tomlin being here or not, we need a natural right-midfielder / winger in my opinion & if Tomlin leaves that will help us financially & with space in the squad. And it will allow us more flexibility in terms of formations we are able to play.

2 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Him and Warnock will clash when the going gets tough for sure if this move does happen.

IMO quite the opposite. Look how well Warnock did with Taarabt at QPR. If anyone can get the best out of someone like Tomlin it'd be Warnock.

Personally think we looked best this year when we played without wingers. 

In the modern game an out and out winger isn't a priority. Play with 4 central midfielders who can rotate and intertwine worked well in the back end of the season with JBrown, JPats, KS, MP with the 2 CDM it also gives our full backs licence to get forward and we know JBry loves to get forward and from what I've seen of Pisano he's quite forward thinking also. 

I personally think those 4 are all very good footballers and at times this season we passed through teams so why can't we play like that? 

Archived