IGNORED

Realistically, what would LJ have to do?

The Fat Controller

What would our Head Coach have to do to change he opinions of those of you that don't believe he can be a success? Good consistent form all season? Reach a certain position? Play a certain way? Show certain managerial skills? What does he have to do?

I'm not looking for a debate as to whether he is good enough or not as that has been done to death so please leave it out, just a genuine question as to what he would have to do to change doubters opinions of him. I am genuinely intrigued as I kind of sit on the fence where Johnson is concerned. 

1. Decide on a style of play that defines us as a team.

2. Consistency in results, preferably good ones!

3. Mid table this season please without flirting with the relegation zone at any point from 5 games in.

4. Consistency in team selections with none of this 'players I can trust' bollocks.

5. Avoid weirdness like the Engvall signing, it doesn't generate much trust in our methods amongst some of the fan base.

It's more of a principle issue with me, his relationship with the owners, his appointment, the retention of him when any other BCFC manager in history would've been given the boot.

HOWEVER, taking into consideration the war chest he has been given over the past 18 months, as a bare minimum I would be content with a season similar to the likes of Brentford who sat just below the play offs/midtable for most of the season and finished 10th. Anything top half would be decent.

I think most City supporters would be more than happy with a season spent in the middle of the C'ship with no relegation worries. It shouldn't be too much to ask for these days, given our resources.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

3. Mid table this season please without flirting with the relegation zone at any point from 5 games in.

4. Consistency in team selections with none of this 'players I can trust' bollocks.

Point 1 for me,this is Bristol City ,this is how we play.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's more of a principle issue with me, his relationship with the owners, his appointment, the retention of him when any other BCFC manager in history would've been given the boot.

HOWEVER, taking into consideration the war chest he has been given over the past 18 months, as a bare minimum I would be content with a season similar to the likes of Brentford who sat just below the play offs/midtable for most of the season and finished 10th. Anything top half would be decent.

I think most City supporters would be more than happy with a season spent in the middle of the C'ship with no relegation worries. It shouldn't be too much to ask for these days, given our resources.

Exactly how I feel, perfectly put.

I really don't like feeling like this, but I'm not sure there's anything he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to do well... who wouldn't want their team to do well? But I just don't like him. For me, last season caused irreconcilable differences between me as a fan and him. The smarminess, the failure to shoulder any responsibility when things were going bad and just generally the fact that he's treated completely differently to any other manager we've ever had. 

I hope I can change my mind. I hope Johnson can change it for me. But as of this time, I find the fact that he is in charge of our football club utterly repulsive. 

There. I've said it. 

3 minutes ago, JammyOne said:

LJ could take us to the Champions League and OTIB still wouldn't trust him to bring us any success. There's nothing that LJ will ever be able to do.

I don't think that's true.  I am not a fan of LJ but the question is what it would take to turn my opinion around, I think my 5 requests are quite reasonable.

Whether I think he can do it is another matter, although I hope he can.

17 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Is this a bit of a myth in football these days? Unless you're a very very good side, you need to be adaptable and be able to manage games in different ways. 

Even under Cotterill, walking L1, I wouldn't say people would ever say 'oh yeah that's the Bristol City way of playing'. We played nice football at times but there were plenty of times when we relied on a less attractive style to grind out results. 

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I really don't like feeling like this, but I'm not sure there's anything he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to do well... who wouldn't want their team to do well? But I just don't like him. For me, last season caused irreconcilable differences between me as a fan and him. The smarminess, the failure to shoulder any responsibility when things were going bad and just generally the fact that he's treated completely differently to any other manager we've ever had. 

I hope I can change my mind. I hope Johnson can change it for me. But as of this time, I find the fact that he is in charge of our football club utterly repulsive. 

There. I've said it. 

Fordy - I'm kinda with you here.  He left me with several 'scars' last season that might be a long while before I stop thinking about them.  But I did see a few small signs of him learning from his mistakes.

I hope the 'building a team around 'Tomlin' was good use of BS to keep things under wraps.  That kind of BS is perfectly fine.  Also, the flip side, knowing when to be honest / too honest, and when to shut up.  When to protect his players, when to hang them out to dry.

I'm hoping the squad feel a sense of unity, the backroom staff are Lee's men....there really can't be excuses.

He can win me around, but it may take time.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I've said it. 

Crikey, the summer has obviously mellowed me!

Completely understand how you feel.

Maybe I feel a bit more detached from it all now that I haven't renewed my ST for the first time in 10 years. I'll be back I'm sure but only when some changes are made.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Is this a bit of a myth in football these days? Unless you're a very very good side, you need to be adaptable and be able to manage games in different ways. 

Even under Cotterill, walking L1, I wouldn't say people would ever say 'oh yeah that's the Bristol City way of playing'. We played nice football at times but there were plenty of times when we relied on a less attractive style to grind out results. 

I agree at our level you need to have a plan B, last season I couldn't tell you what our plan A was though, that's the point.

Thanks for responses and not descending this into an LJ debate. I find this genuinely interesting and it seems most of you who have responded have similar expectations and realistic desires.

@Fordy62, interestingly, I was convinced that a few people would hold that view but I didn't think you'd be one of them. Good and honest of you though.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Thanks for responses and not descending this into an LJ debate. I find this genuinely interesting and it seems most of you who have responded have similar expectations and realistic desires.

@Fordy62, interestingly, I was convinced that a few people would hold that view but I didn't think you'd be one of them. Good and honest of you though.

I'll reiterate that I want us to do well... I thought that the off season might see my displeasure ebb away, but it hasn't. 

What has the world come to if I cannot get excited about a £5m striker - at little old Bristol City! I find myself unable to watch any interviews with LJ, in fact just talking about him here is making my blood pressure rise slightly. 

Never have I had such a lack of interest. And I don't like it. 

Hopefully a good start to the season might see things change. 

28 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

What would our Head Coach have to do to change he opinions of those of you that don't believe he can be a success? Good consistent form all season? Reach a certain position? Play a certain way? Show certain managerial skills? What does he have to do?

I'm not looking for a debate as to whether he is good enough or not as that has been done to death so please leave it out, just a genuine question as to what he would have to do to change doubters opinions of him. I am genuinely intrigued as I kind of sit on the fence where Johnson is concerned. 

I think he has to do all of the things you list...consistency is the key for me. He's obviously learning his trade. Personally I don't believe that a club in the Championship can afford to be offering a manager that opportunity, or at least not a club with as little success as ours, but we're clearly stuck with him. So if he can put out sides that can compete effectively, maintain a reasonable league position and not flirt with relegation, deliver on whatever promises are made at the start of the season and bring on some of our younger players he'll be winning me over. In truth I don't expect that to happen, he looked out of his depth for much of last season.

What he can't afford to do is go on another long winless streak, a lot of fans will get very vocal if that happens. The trouble is, he seems to have them regularly.

I wanted him gone, but am happy to give him a clean slate this season. The one big plus for me is that he appears to be very passionate about our club, due to his connections with it, and that's rare in a manager.

Come on LJ, show us what you can do!

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'll reiterate that I want us to do well... I thought that the off season might see my displeasure ebb away, but it hasn't. 

What has the world come to if I cannot get excited about a £5m striker - at little old Bristol City! I find myself unable to watch any interviews with LJ, in fact just talking about him here is making my blood pressure rise slightly. 

Never have I had such a lack of interest. And I don't like it. 

Hopefully a good start to the season might see things change. 

I find that sad to read mate. I know he's a divisive character (even I called for his head multiple times) but the reality is we did finish higher and with more points than the season before. In fact a couple more wins and we'd have been able to call it a mid table finish.

I know it was a thoroughly unenjoyable season on every level but it's a shame that some can't get excited at this time of year - when every fan is supposed to think that this just might be their year!! 

I like LJ for no other fact than it drives @Fordy62 mad

If he could just sign Romain Sawyers that would be great. I really don't think Fordy could take that at all and his meltdown would match the 'Thatcher years, two divorces' proportions

For me, it's as others have said. Find a style, stick to it. There was some vocal digging out of players, don't like that, keep it in house

I want the bloke to succeed, nothing would give me greater pleasure

9 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I wanted him gone, but am happy to give him a clean slate this season

That's the way I feel 100% and surprised that there are still a fair chunk on here that won't let last season go.

For me it makes no sense to hold a grudge over a manager based on a season that's finished. You can only judge his position on the here and now.

Huddersfield fans wanted Wagner out at the end of 15/16, I wonder how they feel now. Not saying we'll get anywhere close to emulating that but the point stands that the prior season really is no reliable measure of what's to come. 

25 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

For you, what would qualify as progress? 

Higher League position? Or something else?

A higher League position is progression, any lower and shares in Isewater's Oils will rocket ! 

It is not the only criteria however we need to see but it is the main one.

If we were tenth last year and this season dropped to thirteenth but had seen young players brought through and looking solid that would also be progression as the team would then be in a position to push for promotion. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Resign

50 minutes ago, RumRed said:

5. Avoid weirdness like the Engvall signing, it doesn't generate much trust in our methods amongst some of the fan base.

1- like SC had..? Which didn't work at this level. I think LJ's willingness to change things is one of his strengths, not weaknesses. 

2-Agree with this. Although we were fairly consistent, either side of the horror period. If we can shrink the bad spell (most teams will have one of these) then an extra 10 points or so should have us in a perfectly acceptable positions come end of the season, IF of course, we can replicate the better 2 thirds of last season. 

3- Agree. Although 5 games is meaningless (good or bad) to be judging league placings. 

4- He's had time to establish who he can trust now. I don't mind team changes to adapt to different game plans & fixtues, but they should be from within at settled core of first teamers. Ideally about 15 of them. (Of course, Excluding any possible January transfer business) 

5- I've no problem with the Engval situation. Not every transfer goes to plan. Far from it! 

If Engval comes good, then great. If not then we move on. I'm glad we are signing that "type" of player. 

Leave, I believe it was a dressing room visit from SL that stirred the players on that fateful day, and it had not much to do with LJ who seems to be going around in circles with not much clue about anything.......bring on the tombola and the excuses.

25 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

What he can't afford to do is go on another long winless streak, a lot of fans will get very vocal if that happens. The trouble is, he seems to have them regularly.

I wanted him gone, but am happy to give him a clean slate this season. The one big plus for me is that he appears to be very passionate about our club, due to his connections with it, and that's rare in a manager.

Come on LJ, show us what you can do!

And he's shown what a tough bugger he is under pressure ! 

Frankly I take my hat off to him for fighting his way out of a seemingly impossible situation without flinching. 

Archived