IGNORED

Proof positive that football has gone mad

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sky sports is reporting that if the Neymar transfer goes through it will cost PSG £352 million (£196 million in fees and £156 million in salary). Football has gone nuts. God knows how this is feasible under Financial Fair Play, although we know FFP is a joke at the higher levels of the game. 

Can buy many a chicken hutch with that sort of money. 

10 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

It's because they are essentially owned by Qatar.

Funnily enough I was just reading the following article 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40690701

At the top end of the game I strongly suspect that clubs' and players' finances are "questionable" and any adherence to financial rules is more by accident than by design.

My only consolation is that Bristol City will never have to deal with such a dilemma.

33 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Sky sports is reporting that if the Neymar transfer goes through it will cost PSG £352 million (£196 million in fees and £156 million in salary). Football has gone nuts. God knows how this is feasible under Financial Fair Play, although we know FFP is a joke at the higher levels of the game. 

Elite football in Europe ( and England to an extent )is now basically run with the money from the Middle East oil countries, add in some rich Russians etc. 

The biggest surprise to me,is that people were/are still surprised that Qatar got the 2022 World Cup!, why wouldn't they when their money controls all these top clubs.

The Champions League is a classic case, I guarantee that most of the 8 clubs in the Quarter finals this season will be sponsored by Qatar and Emirates airlines. 

Man City are paying hundreds of millions in transfers, all Qatar money, and frankly I'm more astounded with them paying 45 million for Kyle Walker than I am about the Naymar transfer fee!! 

Come on, Kyle Walker 45 million :clapping::yes: seriously!!!!!!!

It's costly but I don't know how much revenue they bring in. Rumour has it that it would be a 6 year contract. Roughly 26m per season in salary. I would expect an upfront payment of 100m so would cost the club 126m just this year for Neymar. After that, however, the remaining 5 years would make it 5 annual payments of just over 19m plus his 26m in salary so about 45m per season. 

So while I agree it's mad, it's probably doable even with ffp. Could Neymar take them over the top to win a champions league? Debatable as they can compete with anyone but it was their defense that cost them last season, not their attack. I know many of you think this can't go on but I don't think it'll go away anytime soon. TV money will only grow for the foreseeable future as less people have time to commit to going to matches and as technology gets better. Pretty soon we'll be watching it with those virtual reality things you put over your eyes. 

30 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Elite football in Europe ( and England to an extent )is now basically run with the money from the Middle East oil countries, add in some rich Russians etc. 

The biggest surprise to me,is that people were/are still surprised that Qatar got the 2022 World Cup!, why wouldn't they when their money controls all these top clubs.

The Champions League is a classic case, I guarantee that most of the 8 clubs in the Quarter finals this season will be sponsored by Qatar and Emirates airlines. 

Man City are paying hundreds of millions in transfers, all Qatar money, and frankly I'm more astounded with them paying 45 million for Kyle Walker than I am about the Naymar transfer fee!! 

You forgot the Chinese Bill !!!

Dim Sum ;)

Chinese Own half the Championship & Prem Clubs or can't be far off

The only hope I have any more is the constant murmuring of a European Elite League. That would save English football, or at least stop the damage being done any further. If Man United and Chelsea **** off and play Wolfsburg and Valencia on a Saturday, we might get a little bit of the soul back.

47 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

It's even more ridiculous than that, Man City paid £50m for Walker, potentially rising to £53m...!!!!

53 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

And then another right back from Real Madrid at around £30 million. Only one will play in the starting eleven. Madness.

55 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You forgot the Chinese Bill !!!

Dim Sum ;)

Chinese Own half the Championship & Prem Clubs or can't be far off

If you go to China and ask the waiter for Dim Sum....not really sure what you'll end up with.

Try maidan, and there's a good chance you'll get the bill.....not guaranteed though!  :shifty:

37 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And then another right back from Real Madrid at around £30 million. Only one will play in the starting eleven. Madness.

And he moved because he couldn't get in the Madrid side. No doubt he'll be getting paid a bit more to sit on a different bench. 

The sooner the whole bubble bursts, the better. Doesn't look like it's happening any time soon though. 

Scenario here.

I read that article, and interesting though it is surely all Barcelona need to do is call PSG's bluff by insisting on the whole fee paid up front, paid in one instalment.

If PSG can't afford...they don't get. If they can or think they can- they breach FFP and should be excluded from European competition I would have thought. Sanctions were applied to them in 2014 so the next level up could surely be exclusion?

I know they are owned by Qatar but UEFA do on paper have the power to class workarounds as illegitimate- they did it a bit in 2014.

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

Clearly some of you guys don't follow American Sports. James Harden will earn $228m between 2019 - 2023.  Steph Curry $201m over the next 5 years. I'm surprised it's taken football this long to catch up. 

Is that for rounders in tights, or armoured knuckle heads in tights?

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

At the top end of the game I strongly suspect that clubs' and players' finances are "questionable" and any adherence to financial rules is more by accident than by design.

My only consolation is that Bristol City will never have to deal with such a dilemma.

There are several on here who won't be happy until we are..!

Ironically, they are also usually the first to proudly proclaim that they won't be renewing their season tickets! 

Archived