IGNORED

I hate preseason - Steve Allen

Red Skin

Refreshingly honest interview with our fitness coach on BCTV.  

Over the last number of years the work the fitness guys do with our squad has been nothing short of astounding.  Injury prevention especially when working with a small has been remarkable, especially when you consider how much bigger clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal have struggled to keep their players fit and available.

I've been critical of LJ for chopping and changing but I guess there is always some element of giving players rest and listening to what the fitness staff are saying based on stats they have on individual players.

Think the back room fitness staff are doing a tremendous job as the demands on these professional athletes only become more intense. We'll done lads and lasses. :clapping:

Why do we have so many injured players at the moment. I can't recall a pre-season before where so many players are injured. There's usually the whole squad fit. Why so many out - I mean, we only have 1 fit striker! 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Why do we have so many injured players at the moment. I can't recall a pre-season before where so many players are injured. There's usually the whole squad fit. Why so many out - I mean, we only have 1 fit striker! 

Just the way injuries go I think. It's rare to have every player fully fit at any stage of the season. Đurić has had the undiagnosed strain which by all accounts is difficult to treat but the others injured players are recovering albeit slowly.

That said you would think that every player would be fully fit after the summer break.

4 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Refreshingly honest interview with our fitness coach on BCTV.  

Over the last number of years the work the fitness guys do with our squad has been nothing short of astounding.  Injury prevention especially when working with a small has been remarkable, especially when you consider how much bigger clubs like Man Utd and Arsenal have struggled to keep their players fit and available.

I've been critical of LJ for chopping and changing but I guess there is always some element of giving players rest and listening to what the fitness staff are saying based on stats they have on individual players.

Think the back room fitness staff are doing a tremendous job as the demands on these professional athletes only become more intense. We'll done lads and lasses. :clapping:

Why are the demands on players getting more intense?

With far bigger squads, and more substitutions,  most players play far less over a season than previously, and there is ever less physical contact leading to injuries.

Players like Flint playing every game are a rarity now, you could expect half a dozen to play (through injuries if necessary) all, or most, games 40 years ago when tackling was much more fierce.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

With far bigger squads, and more substitutions,  most players play far less over a season than previously, and there is ever less physical contact leading to injuries.

Players like Flint playing every game are a rarity now, you could expect half a dozen to play (through injuries if necessary) all, or most, games 40 years ago when tackling was much more fierce.

Granted contact injuries are less but the game is faster, they run further, and have high number of sprints within the distance covered.  Squad rotation is now commonplace precisely because of the physical demands on the players.  (And playing a high press counter attacking game for someone Klopp must demand even more).  That brings with greater importance on monitoring players fitness, the work they are getting through, and even diagnosing stress on their bodies to rest them to prevent more serious injury.  All this had broadened the scope of the work fitness staff need to do to keep a full complement of players available.  Again, well done Steve Allen and the team.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think we're more likely to take 'precautions' these days.

If a player feels a pull in their calf or a twinge in their knee, we won't risk them in a match. 40 years ago there was a different attitude towards injuries. 

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Because the game in general is quicker and faster, opponents are quicker and faster, teams are better prepared, better trained and this will continue to increase.

Academy kids now train more hours a week than pros did a couple of decades ago, and they certainly won't be in the Sun pre match.

Poor bloke, he looked pretty fed up with watching our two injured strikers pulling those ankle elastic band-thingies all day. I was expecting, from Red Army Faction's opener, to see the physio bloke smile when he said he hated pre-season. He didn't. He really does hate it.

Personally I think it borders on a minor miracle that we have so few players injured in the month of July. It wasn't all that long ago that players were allowed to go indoor skiiing in their off-season and look what that did to Maynard's career.

That's an extreme; we all know from personal experience that every day movements can twist/tweak/stretch/pull/ping something somewhere and given that the players would be in 'down-time mode' in May/June, dare I say it, I think it may be a testament to their professionalism that they come back without an injury hampering their start to the season. I don't doubt they have programmes to keep them 'fit' in the off-season and that the manager flies a drone over each of the players to monitor what they are doing (this is relayed to a moveable set of screens in his house, no doubt, although he's going to need to pass a test for those drones soon), but even so, the number of injuries we have had both in the off- and, er, on-season in recent years is remarkably low. Fair play to all concerned, I say. (And I hope that's not commentators' curse now...)

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Have a look at the video @Harry.  Tells you a bit more on there and why Steve hates preseason.  

Basically everyone coming back and though groin injuries difficult to be precise on, he as confident as he can be that Durjic and Taylor will be back soon too.

14 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Have a look at the video @Harry.  Tells you a bit more on there and why Steve hates preseason.  

Basically everyone coming back and though groin injuries difficult to be precise on, he as confident as he can be that Durjic and Taylor will be back soon too.

Wonder what they've been up to in the off season.. :whistle:

I think players like Flint seem to do better injury wise when they play week in week out, every minute of every game. Playing keeps them injury free in an odd way, only when they stop they 'seize up' and pick up strains etc. Other players seem to be 'play one rest three' type players, got to be used sparingly. Unless Duric can get over his injury he seems to be like this at the moment. 

Didnt Jamie McCombe always suffer from shin splints (?) or something when he returned in pre-season, blamed on running on harder ground in the summer when he was at home keeping fit. I think Taylor was injured off and on since we got him, not sure if he is injury prone as such, again this could just be the difference in training between us and 'that lot'?

3 hours ago, Harry said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40679002 

interesting read just for the prem, but it does say that these injuries are on the rise, so while it's hit us at once it seems to be a common trend

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think players like Flint seem to do better injury wise when they play week in week out, every minute of every game. Playing keeps them injury free in an odd way, only when they stop they 'seize up' and pick up strains etc. Other players seem to be 'play one rest three' type players, got to be used sparingly. Unless Đurić can get over his injury he seems to be like this at the moment. 

Didnt Jamie McCombe always suffer from shin splints (?) or something when he returned in pre-season, blamed on running on harder ground in the summer when he was at home keeping fit. I think Taylor was injured off and on since we got him, not sure if he is injury prone as such, again this could just be the difference in training between us and 'that lot'?

Interesting observation. I wonder if their height comes into it. Taller, gangly players like Đurić, Flint and McCombe would probably be less injury prone when all their movements are linear. That's more realistic for a centre half who usually is facing forwards or backwards. For Đurić however, who by being a forward means he's got to twist and turn more, he's more prone to niggles. Andy Carroll also has a terrible injury record.

Excessive height (6ft 4"+) can be a disadvantage in this way. Might be wrong, but I feel that players a fair bit below average height (or even 5ft 7" and under) like Messi or Bobby Reid seem to pick up muscle injuries far less. Lower centre of gravity makes twists and turns much easier.

Taller, injury prone players should take up yoga. Great for flexibility and strengthening smaller muscles and  joints/tendons.

I never realised the stats for injuries in July but what Steve says does make a lot of sense. Players are (or should) be keeping fit during the close season but the intensity of pre-season training must be different gravy to just going to the gym and running a bit on your holidays. It`s human nature to just do the bare minimum while you`re `off` after all.

8 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I never realised the stats for injuries in July but what Steve says does make a lot of sense. Players are (or should) be keeping fit during the close season but the intensity of pre-season training must be different gravy to just going to the gym and running a bit on your holidays. It`s human nature to just do the bare minimum while you`re `off` after all.

The last City player I knew didn't have "just going to the gym" or "running a bit" on their holiday agenda whatsoever.  Believe me :thumbsup:

That was only one, I can't speak for all.

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

he's got a similar injury to Đurić, been carrying since around feb I think

Sorry I thought I quoted super bob there, the above is reference to Taylor's injury

Archived