IGNORED

Lucic

SecretSam

8 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I see he played vs Cheltenham

Challenging for Number 1 or still seen as a pile of number 2 by LJ (see what I did there)?

I don't see him as being better than Fielding which is why we are after a new keeper.

9 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't see him as being better than Fielding which is why we are after a new keeper.

problem is the chap Gieffer  LJ brought in last season was frankly no better than either of 'em - i'm not convinced he's a good judge!!

Just now, Antman said:

problem is the chap Gieffer  LJ brought in last season was frankly no better than either of 'em - i'm not convinced he's a good judge!!

With Giefer we got a very good goalkeeper who needed to get game time after lots of injury issues, the bloke isn't a bad player, but never found his form.

I'd like to see him competing with FF for the no.1 spot. 

I've only seen him play live once vs Preston and he was ok, but made a bad mistake for their goal.

I've never thought Fielding was fantastic, but he's outlasted all rivals for his spot and is pretty solid. 

I'm pretty content with those two competing for a starting spot if we're prioritising signings.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to see him competing with FF for the no.1 spot. 

I've only seen him play live once vs Preston and he was ok, but made a bad mistake for their goal.

I've never thought Fielding was fantastic, but he's outlasted all rivals for his spot and is pretty solid. 

I'm pretty content with those two competing for a starting spot if we're prioritising signings.

It was a mistake on his part, should be ready to cover the near post. But the 'shot' was such a mishit cross that far, far better goalkeepers have conceded similar.

"Bad mistake" IMO is harsh.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It was a mistake on his part, should be ready to cover the near post. But the 'shot' was such a mishit cross that far, far better goalkeepers have conceded similar.

Whatever, just wrote 'bad' without thinking about it.

Can't even really remember the incident. I didn't get the best view of it and haven't watched it back so just going on memory. I'm a terrible judge of goalkeepers anyway, I don't  understand what 'good' positioning in that position is really.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can't remember really, didn't get the best view of it and haven't watched it back so just going on memory. I'm a terrible judge of goalkeepers anyway, I don't really understand what 'good' positioning in that position is really.

end of the highlights for it. 

wasn't exactly how I remembered either TBH, but still an attempted cutback gone wrong.

IIRC was Lucic on as a sub after Fielding got injured in that game? Or was that the previous one and Lucic started so as to not risk Frankie?

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

it was a bad mistake from a keepers point of view, you should never be beaten at the near post, and there in lays the problem, keeper makes a mistake then its a goal, there were plenty of other mistakes in that game and last season that doesn't get punished,

He's got a bright future and plenty of time on his side so why not

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

it was a bad mistake from a keepers point of view, you should never be beaten at the near post, and there in lays the problem, keeper makes a mistake then its a goal, there were plenty of other mistakes in that game and last season that doesn't get punished,

He's got a bright future and plenty of time on his side so why not

Any mistake is a "bad mistake" though, as you say, with goalkeepers they are more costly, but compared to O'Donnell (Brighton and Wednesday) I don't think it was that bad.

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

Any mistake is a "bad mistake" though, as you say, with goalkeepers they are more costly, but compared to O'Donnell (Brighton and Wednesday) I don't think it was that bad.

never rated o'donnell he reminded me of steve phillips Lucic is better

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

never rated o'donnell he reminded me of steve phillips Lucic is better

I can't say I remember much of Phillips other than he was in goal most of the time when I was a youngster.

Born in '95, taken to games on and off since I was about 6 months, think I saw Welch, Mercer and Phillips. Mercer was a favourite of mine when I was young, but couldn't say why other than I liked playing in goal. I know Phillips is known as "Flapper" but the only thing I can really remember of him is he once went halfway down the Atyeo tunnel as part of his run up for a goal kick.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I can't say I remember much of Phillips other than he was in goal most of the time when I was a youngster.

Born in '95, taken to games on and off since I was about 6 months, think I saw Welch, Mercer and Phillips. Mercer was a favourite of mine when I was young, but couldn't say why other than I liked playing in goal. I know Phillips is known as "Flapper" but the only thing I can really remember of him is he once went halfway down the Atyeo tunnel as part of his run up for a goal kick.

like o'donnell he was a good shot stopper but that was about it,

Basso was a good keeper but wasn't the best I've seen, Fielding is very under rated by our fan base thats for sure, but you can put any keeper in our side last season and they would of struggled as they were to exposed by lack-lustered defending and full backs not cutting out crosses,

49 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Billy Mercer was class - real shame he picked up an injury that ruined things for him

1 minute ago, Big Red Rich said:

On what evidence??

The fact he has numerous Bundesliga appearances, has been at 2 of the bigger clubs in Germany (Bayer Leverkeusen and Schalke) as well as Dusseldorf, Europa League appearences against the likes of Atletico Madrid.

He spent over an entire year of the 18 months prior to his loan injured.

Though generally I'm not sure why I bothered to respond to you, all you have done recently is twist everything into the most negative thing it could be, or type "Johnson Out."

The fact he has numerous Bundesliga appearances, has been at 2 of the bigger clubs in Germany (Bayer Leverkeusen and Schalke) as well as Dusseldorf, Europa League appearences against the likes of Atletico Madrid.

He spent over an entire year of the 18 months prior to his loan injured.

Though generally I'm not sure why I bothered to respond to you, all you have done recently is twist everything into the most negative thing it could be, or type "Johnson Out."

In fairness surely we are judging him by his time here not in Germany.

1 minute ago, Big Red Rich said:

So its my fault that LJ is a fraud is it?! 

It's your fault that you have convinced yourself as such.

He isn't a top class manager, but literally just looking at the negatives and ignore anything even the slightest bit to the contrary is an utterly stupid way to approach things.

Just now, Super said:

In fairness surely we are judging him by his time here not in Germany.

As said earlier, he never found form while here. That doesn't make someone a bad player.

"Form is temporary..."

If he was terrible then Schalke wouldn't have had him as their backup goalkeeper, he had a nightmare with injuries, and muscle ones can be particularly bad to recover from, I'd also say that after being injured for 13 out of 18 months, it might take a player some time to get up to speed. If he hadn't had such injury woes, there would have been no chance of us getting him on loan.

He isn't a top class manager, but literally just looking at the negatives and ignore anything even the slightest bit to the contrary is an utterly stupid way to approach things.

As said earlier, he never found form while here. That doesn't make someone a bad player.

"Form is temporary..."

If he was terrible then Schalke wouldn't have had him as their backup goalkeeper, he had a nightmare with injuries, and muscle ones can be particularly bad to recover from, I'd also say that after being injured for 13 out of 18 months, it might take a player some time to get up to speed. If he hadn't had such injury woes, there would have been no chance of us getting him on loan.

Just judging from what I saw and he wasn't great. Sure he is better than that.

29 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

"Form is temporary..."

Giefer has now gone to FC Augsburg in the Bundesliga.

I thought Lucic played well against Cheltenham. He commanded his box; caught balls and stopped shots. A feature that makes me slightly nervous is that he is so cool when on the ball that once or twice I thought he was too cool, in other words maybe he should have hoofed it away. Once he was nearly caught out and the supporter next to me commented that he didn't think he'd get away with that in the Championship.

His style is different and perhaps we need to get used to that.

im happy to see him compete for the number one spot with Frankie.

Archived