IGNORED

The Obvious Reason we have made few signings

Londoner

Just now, pongo88 said:

Why is it negative to express an opinion that all is not well? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What I feel is truly wearisum is people complaining about other people's opinions that are different to their own 

I can only speak for myself but so many negative threads are depressing and do nothing positive. I posted just now that LJ in here for the long run so moaning and whinging will make zero difference so why not just accept that and try to be more upbeat.

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Why is it negative to express an opinion that all is not well? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What I feel is truly wearisum is people complaining about other people's opinions that are different to their own 

It's just how all the Johnson haters try and turn every thread into a we hate LJ thread. It actually stops me reading the rest of the thread most the time. It's just boring. 

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's not outrageous to be concerned with our prospects for the season. Everyone thinks voicing concern is negativity but if the season starts poorly and we dont have options we may me in trouble. 

I fear for us this season, i hope so much im just being a drama queen but don't trust LJ at all given his questionable signings and broken record losing steaks ... i hope to god I'm wrong but im worried. 

We'll be playing the gas next year in league 1 I fear.... The best we can hopeful is another season of embarrassment and struggle.. Can't ******* wait!!!

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Why did we sign Đurić, Taylor, Hegeler?...they have all been bit part players who have made a limit contribution to this side....And let's be honest, based on what we have seen they are squad players and do not improve our first xi.

By signing them they have helped us stay up....but push us onto the next level.....doubtful.

Answer to your question in bold text. From my traumatised memories of last season, that seems a pretty major contribution to me. If they do the same this year, fair play to all three.

Because of the ridiculous panic buys from last season....amidst the appalling run of form SL was forced to sign a range of average footballers.....unfortunately putting a dent in this season's recruitment.

Why did we sign Đurić, Taylor, Hegeler?...they have all been bit part players who have made a limit contribution to this side....And let's be honest, based on what we have seen they are squad players and do not improve our first xi.

By signing them they have helped us stay up....but push us onto the next level.....doubtful.

Hegeler - LJ has no idea where to play him or what his best position is.

Đurić- sick note clearly who from what I have seen is not an improvement on wilbs.

Taylor- did well in creating opportunities for others but does he have the composure and quality to be a top goalscorer at this level....again, no.

Engvall- 2 pre season goals dont hide the fact that 2mil plus looks like a Stryvar esc signing but far worse.

I would argue we are significantly weaker than this time lastseason....no kodjia Tammy Tomlin with o'neil and wilbs another year older.

Pack and Smith in the most uninspiring middle two in theleague....so much pressure on pato and Bobby to create and score....where are the goals going to come from.....

We know English talent is more expensive but sorry I for one wouldn't mind us splashing a bit more for someone we know can have a significant impact in this league, plenty available, i have names, but the £ is a barrier when it shouldnt be......as for the foreign signings jury well and truly out and if we do not make a good start we could be in serious trouble.....no Rotherhams to help us this season.

On another note, LJ I suspect there is no chance SL will afford you the same generosity as last season regarding time....we need progress we haven't seen it in terms of transfers, which isn't going to help you.....but if we don't see it on the pitch you could be in big trouble.

Sorry for the doom and gloom. But the truth.

The fantastic thing about this post is that you manage to ignore every possible positive.  Two young players, Brownhill and O'Dowda who look real quality; a right back and striker signed; Korey Smith back to full fitness; Jamie Paterson looking real quality at the end of last season; Bailey Wright showing himself a real fighter in defence.  Yes, Đurić and Taylor are recovering from injuries; yes Engval has something to prove; yes Hegeler still has to adapt to the Championship (and don't give me that old BS about Lee not knowing where to play him).  We've lost Tammy but gained Famara; we've lost Tomlin who was a major part of the problem last season.  I've been watching City for a good few years, and I'm looking forward to this season more than for a long time.  Loads of good young players already in the squad and more knocking at the door.  We've got a stronger squad than last season and the one before.  What's not to look forward to?

Because of the ridiculous panic buys from last season....amidst the appalling run of form SL was forced to sign a range of average footballers.....unfortunately putting a dent in this season's recruitment.

Đurić- sick note clearly who from what I have seen is not an improvement on wilbs.

Taylor- did well in creating opportunities for others but does he have the composure and quality to be a top goalscorer at this level....again, no.

Engvall- 2 pre season goals dont hide the fact that 2mil plus looks like a Stryvar esc signing but far worse.

I would argue we are significantly weaker than this time lastseason....no kodjia Tammy Tomlin with o'neil and wilbs another year older.

Pack and Smith in the most uninspiring middle two in theleague....so much pressure on pato and Bobby to create and score....where are the goals going to come from.....

We know English talent is more expensive but sorry I for one wouldn't mind us splashing a bit more for someone we know can have a significant impact in this league, plenty available, i have names, but the £ is a barrier when it shouldnt be......as for the foreign signings jury well and truly out and if we do not make a good start we could be in serious trouble.....no Rotherhams to help us this season.

On another note, LJ I suspect there is no chance SL will afford you the same generosity as last season regarding time....we need progress we haven't seen it in terms of transfers, which isn't going to help you.....but if we don't see it on the pitch you could be in big trouble.

Words can not express how boring I find this post. Sssssssnore! 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The fantastic thing about this post is that you manage to ignore every possible positive.  Two young players, Brownhill and O'Dowda who look real quality; a right back and striker signed; Korey Smith back to full fitness; Jamie Paterson looking real quality at the end of last season; Bailey Wright showing himself a real fighter in defence.  Yes, Đurić and Taylor are recovering from injuries; yes Engval has something to prove; yes Hegeler still has to adapt to the Championship (and don't give me that old BS about Lee not knowing where to play him).  We've lost Tammy but gained Famara; we've lost Tomlin who was a major part of the problem last season.  I've been watching City for a good few years, and I'm looking forward to this season more than for a long time.  Loads of good young players already in the squad and more knocking at the door.  We've got a stronger squad than last season and the one before.  What's not to look forward to?

You've forgotten to mention Bobby 'Messi Reid!

7 minutes ago, Judda said:

You've forgotten to mention Bobby 'Messi Reid!

This is by far the best post in this thread - I too am looking forward to this season with great optimism. I saw City play at Yeovil and in the first half for 20 mins played quick, one touch football - it didn't matter the level of the opposition as the ball never got anywhere near them. 

We have new players who need time to get up to speed with the Championship - especially Famara - and if we stay clear of injuries - it's anyone's guess where we could finish this season. 

Lets be positive about our chances rather than always looking for the negatives - there is no point signing players on their way down in their careers if we are looking to move up ...

22 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Good post.

I'm looking forward to it too.  For one, I reckon I might have a decent chance of guessing LJ's line-up this season.  I had a 'mare last season...miles out!

I'm looking forward to seeing a team that will work hard across the park, for each other.  It might not always be great to watch but I want to see players busting a gut for each other, not standing hands on hips pointing for someone to track their man.  I sense togetherness.

As for the OP, his 'academic' arrogance has shone through again.  Had he put "in my opinion" instead of "truth' I'd be fine.

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can only speak for myself but so many negative threads are depressing and do nothing positive. I posted just now that LJ in here for the long run so moaning and whinging will make zero difference so why not just accept that and try to be more upbeat.

Too early to say whether he is here for the long run, another relegation battle and SL will, imo, not have the same level of patience as last season.

23 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I love that  City fans, STILL  want us to spend our way out of trouble at every given opportunity. It's almost like things in the recent past and then the generational past didnt happen.

We've made two signings have a seemingly invigorated squad, and aside from a truly horrendous run of 'close' defeats last season were competitive through out. Of course this now means that we are going to get utterly annihilated because we have lost er, one first team player...

Have people been at the despair squid again?

I think if you read it properly the post is a gripe about spending....

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

40 minutes ago, Judda said:

It's just how all the Johnson haters try and turn every thread into a we hate LJ thread. It actually stops me reading the rest of the thread most the time. It's just boring. 

The point to remember is that this is a forum - i e a place where different opinions are exchanged. Anyone who takes part in a forum must accept that others have different views. 

Taylor was not a bit part player when we needed him. I personally don't see him as an out and out forward, but he will improve where ever he is played...Three years out from non-league is pretty impressive

Đurić, Hegler, Engval and Magnússon have a shit load to prove.

Smith can not be a passenger for big chunks of the season either.

All in all I think we will improve and the team that finished the league can step it up a gear...O'Dowda has a big season in front of him too!

Now its all been discussed can we get on with supporting the side....Most of us know the issues!

It's a shame that any debate seems to get even more polarised than ever these days.

I think our transfer activity so far has been distinctly underwhelming and we're still 3-4 players short.

I don't have a great deal of confidence in LJ after all the chopping and changing that went on during our abysmal run last season, the distinctly odd things he says publicly and whatever has gone on with Tomlin.

Our spending level is probably on the worrying side but I'm encouraged by the crowds in the redeveloped stadium and we seem to have improved a fair bit off the field.

I like that we're signing younger players but I'd like to see a few players who I don't feel are going to improve moved on.

We could start well, and everything would be fine, or we could lose half a dozen in the first ten games and we'd face an uphill battle with a first team coach the fan base would generally not be confident in.

All in all it's a very mixed bag.  Neither all good nor all bad.

10 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Too early to say whether he is here for the long run, another relegation battle and SL will, imo, not have the same level of patience as last season.

LJ will be here unless City are in the DZ come March/April next year. He's an integral part of SLs long term strategy and SL will be extremely unwilling to sack him as we saw last season. 

SL is very aware of just how destabilising changing the manager is which is largely why he plans to retain LJ services.

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The point to remember is that this is a forum - i e a place where different opinions are exchanged. Anyone who takes part in a forum must accept that others have different views. 

Different opinions are what makes any forum. My complaint is that we have so many negative threads which become dreary and depressive.

Its time to be more upbeat I reckon.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Different opinions are what makes any forum. My complaint is that we have so many negative threads which become dreary and depressive.

Its time to be more upbeat I reckon.

Start your own 'upbeat' thread then.

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

What you say makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised the Football League hasn't pre-relegated us before the season has even started tbh. 

3 hours ago, Londoner said:

Well that's it then, Londoner - I'm lumping my whole house onto us getting relegated as you've convinced me it's the truth.  

BUT..........if my wager goes tits up I know where you live.  

That London can't be much of a big place, can it????

50 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I completely agree and I really don't want to stop people from expressing opinions but it does seem nearly every thread gets turned into negative LJ thread. Just find it's ruining the whole forum for me.

I hate seeing Bristolians in Man Utd shirts but I don't try and turn discussions about other things into discussions about it..... 

Anyway... don't you all hate seeing Bristolians in Man Utd shirts...?!?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

No manager is here there or anywhere for "the long run". Results dictate whether that happens or not. 

Many managers will be sacked in October, no one knows who they will be yet though!

LJ could well be here for ten years, at the same time it could be ten weeks!.

11 minutes ago, Judda said:

I completely agree and I really don't want to stop people from expressing opinions but it does seem nearly every thread gets turned into negative LJ thread. Just find it's ruining the whole forum for me.

I hate seeing Bristolians in Man Utd shirts but I don't try and turn discussions about other things into discussions about it..... 

Anyway... don't you all hate seeing Bristolians in Man Utd shirts...?!?

Yes. I'd MUCH rather see kids in Bristol in Rovers shirts than Chelsea, Man U etc. 

Archived