IGNORED

Marlon Pack

Shuffle

Been a Pack man from the start. Nothing much more to add. Not having this "he's so improved under Lee" stuff. He came in for the second half of the promotion season and was good straight away. If we ever decide he's not in our plans, you watch the interest from other clubs and you can't argue with that.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Been a Pack man from the start. Nothing much more to add. Not having this "he's so improved under Lee" stuff. He came in for the second half of the promotion season and was good straight away. If we ever decide he's not in our plans, you watch the interest from other clubs and you can't argue with that.

You don't think he has improved under Lee? It wasn't a criticism of Pack - I liked him under Cotterill, just think he's getting better. 

PS not too worried about midfield.. I'm still a bit worried about goals to be honest. Diedhiou looked a physical unit who can hold the ball up, but i would like to push the boat out and buy another striker for some money. it may be the difference between staying up or not. my opinion of course

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

You don't think he has improved under Lee? It wasn't a criticism of Pack - I liked him under Cotterill, just think he's getting better. 

I think LJ gives him and smith more licence to make their own decisions and take the odd risk with a forward pass. His beautiful pass to Taylor ahead of the 2nd goal against QPR comes to mind straight away, almost from a centre back position.

i don't think he had that much freedom under Cotts in the Championship.

He has indifferent games, against Cheltenham he was slow, lethargic gave away possession countless times. In the second half when we came off we looked a different side.

But then last night he was brilliant, replicating his form from August to October last season. But he is a lower level championship midfielder, he doesn't score, doesn't assist but breaks up the play well and recyles the ball effectively. 

I still think he could be replaced by a better midfielder though if we were to bring one in.

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He's good enough if we are content with lower mid table in Championship. This also applies to Flint and maybe a couple more.

But if we want to seriously challenge at the top, I think we need more than they can offer us.

Disagree. Based on last night's showing in isolation, that was a seriously top performance. Yes I know it was Pre-season, just one game, Twente poor etc..

I think Pack could play midfield for a few of the top teams in this league and he'd show his quality. Feel he benefits from playing with better players who move for the ball better. He's far better technically than Korey who's seen as untouchable on here. His height is also a great attribute and he wins a lot of headers. Pretty confident this season lots of our fans will appreciate his quality.

8 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

He has indifferent games, against Cheltenham he was slow, lethargic gave away possession countless times. In the second half when we came off we looked a different side.

But then last night he was brilliant, replicating his form from August to October last season. But he is a lower level championship midfielder, he doesn't score, doesn't assist but breaks up the play well and recyles the ball effectively. 

I still think he could be replaced by a better midfielder though if we were to bring one in.

To be fair not many deep lying playmakers directly assist. They're normally contributing to phases of play too far away from the goal, but the chances still wouldn't come about if they weren't involved. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Disagree. Based on last night's showing in isolation, that was a seriously top performance. Yes I know it was Pre-season, just one game, Twente poor etc..

I think Pack could play midfield for a few of the top teams in this league and he'd show his quality. Feel he benefits from playing with better players who move for the ball better. He's far better technically than Korey who's seen as untouchable on here. His height is also a great attribute and he wins a lot of headers. Pretty confident this season lots of our fans will appreciate his quality.

Interesting point about Korey as I'd replace him in the pairing long before I replaced Pack. For some reason City (and maybe wider English) fans just don't seem to appreciate a player like him. 

If he had zero skill and could only pass 2 yards sideways but ran himself stupid and got sent off three times a season throwing himself into supid tackles, everyone would love him!!

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting point about Korey as I'd replace him in the pairing long before I replaced Pack. For some reason City (and maybe wider English) fans just don't seem to appreciate a player like him. 

If he had zero skill and could only pass 2 yards sideways but ran himself stupid and got sent off three times a season throwing himself into supid tackles, everyone would love him!!

Korey will have his great games but I feel he's overrated on here. Always looks very hurried in possession and his decision making isn't the best. Gave the ball away needlessly several times last night even with very little pressure on him. 

I agree about English fans generally. Fans here don't seem to appreciate patient football or patient footballers. Last night, a guy behind me was very annoyed that Brownhill chose to play a simple ball back to Fielding (and keep possession) rather than attempt a risky pass (probably with about a 40% likelihood of success) upfield to Pisano. It's a strange mentality and I think the England team will always struggle whilst we have it.

Pack can hit the ball very well. Given the opportunity I fancy him to get a few more goals this season.

11 hours ago, Judda said:

Marmite man isn't he!

Some slate him. I like him but think we have better midfielders in Smith and Reid....

No chance on earth that Smith is a better midfielder for me, I know I'm in a massive minority but I just don't get how Smith is so highly rated. 

23 minutes ago, Rob k said:

No chance on earth that Smith is a better midfielder for me, I know I'm in a massive minority but I just don't get how Smith is so highly rated. 

I think it's similar to Ryan Kent. It's because he looks like he's affecting the game more than he actually is. Fans love players that look busy and put in a few hard tackles or look creative and have lots of nice touches and tricks.. even if statistically their output is poor.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Korey will have his great games but I feel he's overrated on here. Always looks very hurried in possession and his decision making isn't the best. Gave the ball away needlessly several times last night even with very little pressure on him. 

I agree about English fans generally. Fans here don't seem to appreciate patient football or patient footballers. Last night, a guy behind me was very annoyed that Brownhill chose to play a simple ball back to Fielding (and keep possession) rather than attempt a risky pass (probably with about a 40% likelihood of success) upfield to Pisano. It's a strange mentality and I think the England team will always struggle whilst we have it.

Pack can hit the ball very well. Given the opportunity I fancy him to get a few more goals this season.

What did Frankie do with the ball?

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Last night, a guy behind me was very annoyed that Brownhill chose to play a simple ball back to Fielding (and keep possession) rather than attempt a risky pass (probably with about a 40% likelihood of success) upfield to Pisano. It's a strange mentality and I think the England team will always struggle whilst we have it.

44 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Come on Phileas, you haven't answered my question!

Frankie booted the ball aimlessly down the pitch, giving one of our lot, at best, a 40% likelihood of keeping possession, didn't he (assuming it didn't sail out over the narrower touchline for a Twente throw in)?

Like he very often does. We have seen this before. Often. Which might go some way to explaining much of the annoyance because if it is a choice between Brownhill (good with his feet) lobbing it forward or Frankie (betrer with his hands) you would choose Brownhill, him being more skilled with his feet.

Now, if we get a new keeper with better feet, then .......

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

I think he played it out to Hegeler actually but I see your point about Fielding overall. 

He barely had anything to do last night but a couple of his goal kicks weren't too bad and found Diedhiou pretty accurately.

No idea if Ripley's distribution is a massive upgrade, but think it would need to be to suit our style of play.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Come on Phileas, you haven't answered my question!

Frankie booted the ball aimlessly down the pitch, giving one of our lot, at best, a 40% likelihood of keeping possession, didn't he (assuming it didn't sail out over the narrower touchline for a Twente throw in)?

Like he very often does. We have seen this before. Often. Which might go some way to explaining much of the annoyance because if it is a choice between Brownhill (good with his feet) lobbing it forward or Frankie (betrer with his hands) you would choose Brownhill, him being more skilled with his feet.

Now, if we get a new keeper with better feet, then .......

Jack - answer me a couple of questions, please:

1) if Frankie was asked to kick the ball straight down the middle from a) goal-kicks, b) his hands or c) open play under zero pressure - do you think fans would have a different view of his kicking ability (as opposed to aiming for a 5 yard target on the left touchline, e.g. Bryan)

2) with the ball at his feet in open play do you think he is a) a competent kicker off either footbetter and b) better or worse than ROD?

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Jack - answer me a couple of questions, please:

1) if Frankie was asked to kick the ball straight down the middle from a) goal-kicks, b) his hands or c) open play under zero pressure - do you think fans would have a different view of his kicking ability (as opposed to aiming for a 5 yard target on the left touchline, e.g. Bryan)

2) with the ball at his feet in open play do you think he is a) a competent kicker off either footbetter and b) better or worse than ROD?

I think Frank would've been a better keeper before they changed the back-pass law, Dave. 

Frank's a better keeper than RO'D I'd say. I can't remember what RO'D was like with his feet; last thing I remember him doing was parrying that shot to Đurić and giving us a lifeline.

• Admin

Thing I like most about Pack is his desire to fight for his place. Lost his place to Wade, fought back and finished the season as a regular. Lost his place to Gaz O'Neil, fought back to be a regular again. He seems to be a player that gets better as we raise the standard of our squad which is why I think he would actually fit in any team in this division and could even have a few Prem appearances by the time he hangs up his boots.

Archived