IGNORED

Team for Saturday

Ashtonwurzel

I don't  see many changes from the end of last year, our new Italian RB and FD for Tammy, plus Bobby just off of the striker .
The CB pairing is a question though. I don't see Flint being effected and I'm not sure LJ thinks Baker is quite ready. We know he's not sure about Mags so I wouldn't be surprised (unless someone puts a real bid in) to see the same 3 as last year making up the back 4, Bryan is level headed enough not to worry about speculation and besides LJ doesn't see Golbourne and Mags as starting LBs.
Reid's form has to make him a starter, and the midfield basically picks itself, at this late date we could sign anyone and I doubt they'd make the starting 11.

If it isnt this I will be surprised:

Fielding

Pisano     Flint   Wright  Bryan

Brownhill Smith Pack Paterson

Reid

Diedhiou

Subs: Lucic, Magnússon, Moore, Golbourne, Hegeler, O'Dowda, Engvall

I don't reckon anyone has predicted a first XI and bench from Johnson yet but this is a safe bet surely. 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

I don't reckon anyone has predicted a first XI and bench from Johnson yet but this is a safe bet surely. 

That is going to be really interesting . The centre back pairing. 

Whether or not Flint plays is probably going to depend on how firm any interest is in him by then. If no one has actually tabled a serious bid, I think he'll play. If a deal looks close or a bid has come in that's close to our valuation, I don't think he'll even be on the bench

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

Perhaps Kelly in for Golbourne but agree otherwise

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

That's pretty close I reckon but trying to predict LJs starting 11 is never easy.. As for the bench, that's even more difficult.

Hopefully as the season progresses LJ will find a regular starting 11. 

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Yeah i would suspect that will be the team as well. I hope they are feeling energetic, because apart from that i can see us struggling to compete unfortunately.

I have the opposite view. I can see City doing well this coming season.

Barnsley have had a poor pre-season losing 4-0 to Rotherham in their last game. Barnsley fans not very confident and would bite your hand off if offered a draw Saturday. Looking at other clubs in the Division makes you appreciate how well our pre-season has gone, you can never tell until the first proper game but I'm quite optimistic about this season.

I don't I'm optomistic, I think we are going to do a preston, not be amazing but not involved in a relegation battle, we are bang on for midtable, think there are more then 3 teams worse then us this season and we are no where near good enough for a play-off challenge,

as it stands I think we'll finish above bolton, Burton, Ipswich, Shef United, QPR, Barnsley and Preston, and be in that pack fighting for the glory thats 10th place

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

If that turns out to be correct, it will be a landmark selection by LJ.

The first time that Aden Flint is not selected to start since he joined us.

He was dropped a few times toward the end of his first season. Back when people were calling him 'donkey' 'useless' and a few other things...

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

He was dropped a few times toward the end of his first season. Back when people were calling him 'donkey' 'useless' and a few other things...

including a manager who said he wasn't worth 400k, to be fair he was a bit at the time, then he started to become a rock, it seems to be the Constance with flint. he starts the season poorly, makes a few mistakes, people start calling for him to be dropped, then by the end of November he suddenly becomes bobby moore for the rest of the season 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I don't I'm optomistic, I think we are going to do a preston, not be amazing but not involved in a relegation battle, we are bang on for midtable, think there are more then 3 teams worse then us this season and we are no where near good enough for a play-off challenge,

as it stands I think we'll finish above bolton, Burton, Ipswich, Shef United, QPR, Barnsley and Preston, and be in that pack fighting for the glory thats 10th place

That's the spirit monks . Bit of positivity 

59 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

I suspect this is about right, but if Flint is gone I expect Wright to move right and Hegeler to be left of the centre backs. 

On the bench I expect to see Vyner rather than Moore and another forward in Hines rather than Golbourne. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

Not sure why we would need 3 defenders plus Hegeler on the bench.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Fielding

Reid

Diedhiou

I expect that's going to be almost spot on.  It's not a bad line up although some will naturally worry that it is pretty similar to what we ended last season with, albeit without Taylor, Little and Tammy.  Those 3 were ever present in that settled 11 that performed in the season-saving run at the end.  It's going to be interesting to see how badly they are missed.

38 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

You'd like to think that we can finish above that lot wouldn't you.  I still think its too early to predict anything.  There's so many unknowns.  Every season has teams that under and over achieve - it's why we all follow this stupid sport.  I'll be watching Wolves with interest - can a team of Portuguese imports deliver on their promise?  Fulham finished so strongly last year but will they manage to carry it over into this season?  Which of the promoted teams will perform well? Just how bad are Sunderland?

Having said all that - I'm confident we won't be relegated.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I expect that's going to be almost spot on.  It's not a bad line up although some will naturally worry that it is pretty similar to what we ended last season with, albeit without Taylor, Little and Tammy.  Those 3 were ever present in that settled 11 that performed in the season-saving run at the end.  It's going to be interesting to see how badly they are missed.

You'd like to think that we can finish above that lot wouldn't you.  I still think its too early to predict anything.  There's so many unknowns.  Every season has teams that under and over achieve - it's why we all follow this stupid sport.  I'll be watching Wolves with interest - can a team of Portuguese imports deliver on their promise?  Fulham finished so strongly last year but will they manage to carry it over into this season?  Which of the promoted teams will perform well? Just how bad are Sunderland?

Having said all that - I'm confident we won't be relegated.

and thats why I don't get all the doom and gloom, We've had bad seasons before and bounced back, no reason why we can't do it again,

Johnson's 10 games begins Saturday

Archived