IGNORED

Neymar close to fulfilling his dream

Major Isewater

Young Neymar is apparently off to Paris St Germain , the club he dreamed of playing for whilst a kid in Brazil.

He explained that when they came calling it was a no brainer and He welcomed the opportunity to advance in his career citing the desire to win things as the reason he's leaving Barcelona.

Good luck Neymar, I'm sure we're all saying .

26 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

SSN reporting Barca have confirmed Neymar has requested a move. Looks nailed on now. £198m squid.

Go on Steve, bid £199m just for a laugh. You'd gain a lot of that back in worldwide shirt sales.

Imagine that, City shirts all over the world with Neymar printed on them.

Anyway I'm back off to work now....

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Young Neymar is apparently off to Paris St Germain , the club he dreamed of playing for whilst a kid in Brazil.

He explained that when they came calling it was a no brainer and He welcomed the opportunity to advance in his career citing the desire to win things as the reason he's leaving Barcelona.

Good luck Neymar, I'm sure we're all saying .

Sounds like he'd be happy playing for nothing then.

Kudos to the Major for cleverly pointing out that PSG's mega-wealth is the only reason a truly top player would ever consider a move to the comparative footballing backwater of the French domestic set-up.

Perhaps it's for the best that no Prem club bought him (could afford him?) because the ridiculous unsustainable spending spree would've cranked up to an entire new level of crazy in the rush to compete. Any hope - and it's slim as it is - of us capitalising on the brilliant showings of our English youngsters this summer would be gone.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Neymar fee, though, I can't deny PSG have landed one of the genuine world-class players. The spending power in England is far more widespread and yet it seems to be spent on mediocrity.

Think about it, since the advent of the PL in 1992 and all the largesse that has accompanied it, how many of the best of the best players of their generation have actually gone there? Bergkamp, but he was unsettled at Inter and that affected his form. Doubt they'd have let him go to Arsenal if he'd been doing the biz at the San Siro.

Seems to me that the best players in the world either:-

a) Come to the Prem for one final payday at the end of their careers (e.g. Ibrahimovic)

b) Use the Prem as a stepping stone to bigger and better things (e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, Luis Suarez)

or c) Don't come to the Prem at all (e.g. Romario, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi)

29 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Kudos to the Major for cleverly pointing out that PSG's mega-wealth is the only reason a truly top player would ever consider a move to the comparative footballing backwater of the French domestic set-up.

Perhaps it's for the best that no Prem club bought him (could afford him?) because the ridiculous unsustainable spending spree would've cranked up to an entire new level of crazy in the rush to compete. Any hope - and it's slim as it is - of us capitalising on the brilliant showings of our English youngsters this summer would be gone.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Neymar fee, though, I can't deny PSG have landed one of the genuine world-class players. The spending power in England is far more widespread and yet it seems to be spent on mediocrity.

Think about it, since the advent of the PL in 1992 and all the largesse that has accompanied it, how many of the best of the best players of their generation have actually gone there? Bergkamp, but he was unsettled at Inter and that affected his form. Doubt they'd have let him go to Arsenal if he'd been doing the biz at the San Siro.

Seems to me that the best players in the world either:-

a) Come to the Prem for one final payday at the end of their careers (e.g. Ibrahimovic)

b) Use the Prem as a stepping stone to bigger and better things (e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo, Thierry Henry, Luis Suarez)

or c) Don't come to the Prem at all (e.g. Romario, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Messi)

Seems like the whole deal, according to the BBC will amount to over 400 million with the young chap on 45mil a year.

Still it's a short career make while you can son.

How long before the first Billion pound transfer? Can't be far away. That Steve Lansdown is a mere lightweight!!!

I've been passionate about football and been watching City for over 55 years, but I find this transfer, and the weekly wage for Neymar obscene.  I would sincerely hope that the Spanish FA have a case and that PSG get heavily fined for breach of FFP, or alternatively that Neymar has an appalling season and PSG fail to qualify for Europe, but I may as well hope that City go unbeaten this season and win the Championship by Christmas. FFS how many starving children could be helped, or how many FIFA, UEFA, or Sky executives could be given a lobotomy with the money being abused here. 

Football has become a joke. Morata - a bit-part player at Real Madrid - just went to Chelsea for, what was it, £58million? An over the hill Rooney takes a pay cut to join Everton and is now 'only' on a reported £150k a week. And now the total absurdity of the Neymar situation. It's a lot of money to spend on someone who falls over a lot.

And when you factor in people like Jesse Lingard, who gets paid a reported £100k a week and scored one goal last season... It's frankly amazing that more fans aren't voting with their feet.

10 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Seems like the whole deal, according to the BBC will amount to over 400 million with the young chap on 45mil a year.

Still it's a short career make while you can son.

How long before the first Billion pound transfer? Can't be far away. That Steve Lansdown is a mere lightweight!!!

I've had it with the short career argument. Footballers are not the only ones who have 'short careers', most professional sports men and women, as do many outside of sport. The difference is that the average footballer is often paid significantly more during his short career than the others. 

Today's footballers are not generally running pubs or delivering the post when their playing career is over. If they are not staying in the game as coaches or managers, or they don't already have their own business, they can get a lot of assistance from the PFA to re-train in another profession. Another alternative is they can do something no training is required for, like being a players agent or football pundit. You don't even need to be able to communicate to be a pundit, Chris Kamara is testament to that. Let''s be honest, we've heard them and there are far more Alan Shearer's out there earning the big bucks than there are Gary Neville's. 

Who knows, perhaps Neymar will prove to be one of footballs good guys and use some of his vast wealth to help Brazil's street kids instead of buying a Caribbean island after retirement. 

Interesting line on this:

11:13: La Liga have REFUSED to accept PSG’s attempt to pay Neymar’s £199m release clause at Barcelona.

About five lawyers arrived at La Liga HQ  near Madrid airport this morning.

But Sky Sports say they left after 15 minutes with no agreement reached.

Yesterday La Liga insisted they would not accept the payment from PSG to trigger Neymar’s release clause.

A spokesman for the office of La Liga president Javier Tebas said: "We will not accept the money for the liberation clause, the reason is that we have doubts that this money is in accordance with UEFA Financial Fair Play rules."

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've been passionate about football and been watching City for over 55 years, but I find this transfer, and the weekly wage for Neymar obscene.  I would sincerely hope that the Spanish FA have a case and that PSG get heavily fined for breach of FFP, or alternatively that Neymar has an appalling season and PSG fail to qualify for Europe, but I may as well hope that City go unbeaten this season and win the Championship by Christmas. FFS how many starving children could be helped, or how many FIFA, UEFA, or Sky executives could be given a lobotomy with the money being abused here. 

Gotta say given PSG have been in breach of FFP before- at the same time as Man City in 2014, and been sanctioned could it be a transfer ban or even a ban from CL next??

PSG are owned by Qatar Sports Investments, that's all we need to know really!.

Money is no object. 

We will no doubt see a massive knock on effect, Barcelona will be looking to spend the cash, whichever club they buy off will then spend their cash, and it's goes on.............

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Money no object as Qatar pay for it? Clear breach of FFP.

That happens, PSG would or should be clobbered for it.

Qatar's money runs Man City as well. 

Top football in Europe is run on money from the oil rich countries, has been for several years now. http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/12/football/qatar-uae-sponsor-football-europe/index.html

You can guarantee that the majority of the Champions league last 8 will be sponsored by, Emirates, Gulf air, Qutar etc etc.

Qatar got the 2022 World Cup because they are in control of the elite clubs in Europe.

Archived