IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Barnsley FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Very pleased with the first half today, a pleasure to see so much pressure being heaped on so high up the pitch and it paid off.

I had reservations about Reid up front but he found space well dropped off Diedhiou a little and Barnsley didn't seem to be able to pick him up.

Pack was extremely good, Smith had a quiet but effective game, Patterson did well in the first half with Joe Bryan and Pisano looks a good player.

Defensively I thought Hegeler looked a bit like a midfielder playing centre half and he got caught too far away from Wright a few times but it helped having him bring the ball out from the back and Wright looked much more comfortable on the right side of the pair.

Diedhiou had a good debut, does look Brookeresque to me, someone who will link and score from distance or with his head.  I can't see him breaking the back line too often except where it's as weak as Barnsley's was.

Brownhill also did well, unlucky not to get a couple of goals hitting the bar and having a point blank volley saved (at least I think it was him).

Second half the game petered out, it was over as a contest really and no sense in staying in overdrive when you're three up.

I'd have liked to see Engvall come on a bit sooner, he had some decent movement but looks like he'll need time to settle.  O'Dowda was pretty good after he came on too.

Bit disappointed we let a terrible side like Barnsley get one back but perhaps a useful warning.  Better teams will catch us if we're pressing so high and do more damage, it will have to be a bit more disciplined especially away but all in all a very good start.

Well done LJ and all the staff and players.

A very welcome three points from a good team performance. Not going to pick anyone as MOM but must say, really impressed with Pack. The new boys did very well, Famara seemed to be blowing with twenty to go but leaving him on is the only way for him to get fully up to speed.

Shame we let a stupid one in at the end. Good three points but not getting carried away as the Tykes were poor. If they don't improve on that, it'll be a long struggle.

For us, roll on the Brummies and wouldn't it be nice to replicate our 1990 4-0.

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And as for Smith, yes he gave away possession now and again but did an unbelievable amount of work that goes unnoticed like putting his foot in and nicking the ball away, tackles and harrying, actually tidying up several times for misplaced Reid passes or Diedhiou passes or Patterson passes or Brownhill passes, he is never going to look like a Messi but you need a Smith in your side.

Exactly this. To me Smith is a bit like what Skuse was, a steady, solid player who never seems to have a bad game, but never really has a mind blowingly good performance either! Pops up with the odd goal and gets a few assists, the sort of solid player every team needs.

1 minute ago, brizzlelou said:

I said to my brother when he came on "watch Flint make a monumental cock up now"! Was he actually at fault or not? I was texting the wife when it all happened 

No he wasn't at fault. It was a all round balls up but think it was because we relaxed to be honest.

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

Very pleased with the first half today, a pleasure to see so much pressure being heaped on so high up the pitch and it paid off.

I had reservations about Reid up front but he found space well dropped off Diedhiou a little and Barnsley didn't seem to be able to pick him up.

Pack was extremely good, Smith had a quiet but effective game, Patterson did well in the first half with Joe Bryan and Pisano looks a good player.

Defensively I thought Hegeler looked a bit like a midfielder playing centre half and he got caught too far away from Wright a few times but it helped having him bring the ball out from the back and Wright looked much more comfortable on the right side of the pair.

Diedhiou had a good debut, does look Brookeresque to me, someone who will link and score from distance or with his head.  I can't see him breaking the back line too often except where it's as weak as Barnsley's was.

Brownhill also did well, unlucky not to get a couple of goals hitting the bar and having a point blank volley saved (at least I think it was him).

Second half the game petered out, it was over as a contest really and no sense in staying in overdrive when you're three up.

I'd have liked to see Engvall come on a bit sooner, he had some decent movement but looks like he'll need time to settle.  O'Dowda was pretty good after he came on too.

Bit disappointed we let a terrible side like Barnsley get one back but perhaps a useful warning.  Better teams will catch us if we're pressing so high and do more damage, it will have to be a bit more disciplined especially away but all in all a very good start.

Well done LJ and all the staff and players.

Thanks for the report. One game only but we finished last season well. Think the team is better and organised with confidence to. Barnsley probably will get problem this year, anyway 3-0 at ht in the first game is wow! Optimistic as always I am. Realistic think we will be in the middle, ok with that. Think the Club has improved. since a couple of years ago. New stadium , good business with players, stronger team, bigger crowds. Continuitet is the key. Board, Ashton, LJ communication. Give the manager time and no panic. In Sweden many managers are sacked, its a problem. Its not a Quick fix to reach sucsess, long term thinking is better. Anyway 3 nice points, well done City, Coyr!!

Archived