IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Barnsley FC match day thread

Septic Peg

Good morning folks!

Now, I know you are all thinking, "hang on a Roly Mo, @havanatopia does the league threads. What's she doing?" But due to unforseen circumstances, Hav slid into my DMs this morning with a request for my help. So once again, I'm in charge for the thread and I must say, I'm rather honoured to be asked to cover the opening thread of the season...

Soooooo... IT'S BACK! Like the day when McDonald's brought back the McRib, we can all breathe again, knowing that our Saturdays are filled for the next 9 months. The fixture computer has been extremely kind to us this year with both a season opener and season finisher at AG. And today, we host LJ's old employers, Barnsley...

Barnsley FC is situated in Barnsley (duh...) which is halfway between Sheffield and Leeds, so it's smack bang in Tetley's (the ale and the teabags) land, where flat caps and Whippets are common place.

Barnsley's favourite son is Michael 'Parky' Parkinson and no one says "ee up by gum" better... Barnsley is also well known for its brass bands, which were originally made up from the mining communities that worked the pits in and around Yorkshire... perfect for playing the opening bars of the Hovis theme music... :trumpet: (Note: Hovis actually comes from the Cheshire/Lancashire border but everyone associates it with Yorkshire anyway...)

So Barnsley FC. Mixed fortunes over the years at Oakwell but now the ship has been steadied by Paul Heckybum who stepped up to the plate when a certain Johnson Junior walked out of the stadium and drove his motor down the M1... 

They've been lucky enough this season to acquire the services of Ugbo on loan from Chelsea who is long rumoured to be the new Tammy Tammy... he is definitely one to watch...

Over a 1000 fans are coming down today to sit in the Atyeo but they won't be mixing in the fan village as they now have their own behind the stand. 

My prediction is a 3-1 win to us so fully expect a 4-0 drubbing and screams of 'Johnson Out' by FT. It's a bit early for banners...

Come on you reds...

Interesting trivia - in the ad for Hovis, the hill that features at the start with the young boy pushing his bike up it was actually filmed on Gold Hill, Shaftesbury in Dorset, and not in Lankie or Yorkie land.

Great opener for the season Peg, you've done Hav proud :-).

1 minute ago, JustinCider said:

Interesting trivia - in the ad for Hovis, the hill that features at the start with the young boy pushing his bike up it was actually filmed on Gold Hill, Shaftesbury in Dorset, and not in Lankie or Yorkie land.

Thanks Justin. Great trivia too. When I was doing my research this morning, I found this and it made me laugh anyway...

They don't make them like they used to...

All the fun of a City season starts today, which includes the official match day thread and now the prediction thread too (where unsurprisingly the majority are predicting a City win)

The only thing I know is it will be a season like all others, with highs and lows, as always let's hope the highs far outweigh the lows!

City to win today 2-1.

28 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

notherInteresting trivia - in the ad for Hovis, the hill that features at the start with the young boy pushing his bike up it was actually filmed on Gold Hill, Shaftesbury in Dorset, and not in Lankie or Yorkie land.

Another triv ...

'Double' loin of lamb chops (ie, not split into two) are called Barnsley chops...

BARNSLEY-DOUBLE-LAMB-CHOPS-min.jpg

5 minutes ago, stevep38 said:

Have arrived from Arbroath Scotland. Sitting in the coffee shop new shirt bought. Cant wait for this. 

Hope you bought some kippers with ya?

I've always wanted to try a genuine Arbroath 'smokie'  ...  mouth been watering ever since I saw them featured on some cookery program on telly... 12567634_f1024.jpg

Have a great day!!!  COYR's :city:

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Hope you bought some kippers with ya?

I've always wanted to try a genuine Arbroath 'smokie'  ...  mouth been watering ever since I saw them featured on some cookery program on telly... 12567634_f1024.jpg

Have a great day!!!  COYR's :city:

Smokies are lush mind. That smoke house about 10 mins from my house. About £5 for 1 smokie now

30 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Talking of which, can we have a roll call for all that have re-activated their pre-match rituals and routines after the summer break, and what they are?

Archived