IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Barnsley FC match day thread

Septic Peg

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Talking of which, can we have a roll call for all that have re-activated their pre-match rituals and routines after the summer break, and what they are?

I've had my traditional pre-match ****, followed by a fried egg sandwich. 

In fairness, it doesn't need to be a matchday, I can't resist a good fried egg sandwich, any day..! 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I've had my traditional pre-match ****, followed by a fried egg sandwich. 

In fairness, it doesn't need to be a matchday, I can't resist a good fried egg sandwich, any day..! 

I tend to add a bit of black pepper or a dash of Lea and Perrins, bit if poo is what the kids are adding to their egg sandwiches then who am I to argue.

TO THE KITCHEN!

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very informative @Septic Peg.  Good to see we have strength in depth in this department, and you're not "one for the future".

Won't quite feel like the season is here until I see @BigTone's condensed version.

Like Laurel is to Hardy, like Morecambe is to Wise, like Marks is to Spencer then Havana is to me.  Despite his absence I shall oblige my public.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Good morning folks!

Now, I know you are all thinking, "hang on a Roly Mo, @havanatopia does the league threads. What's she doing?" But due to unforseen circumstances, Hav slid into my DMs this morning with a request for my help. So once again, I'm in charge for the thread and I must say, I'm rather honoured to be asked to cover the opening thread of the season...

Soooooo... IT'S BACK! Like the day when McDonald's brought back the McRib, we can all breathe again, knowing that our Saturdays are filled for the next 9 months. The fixture computer has been extremely kind to us this year with both a season opener and season finisher at AG. And today, we host LJ's old employers, Barnsley...

Barnsley FC is situated in Barnsley (duh...) which is halfway between Sheffield and Leeds, so it's smack bang in Tetley's (the ale and the teabags) land, where flat caps and Whippets are common place.

Barnsley's favourite son is Michael 'Parky' Parkinson and no one says "ee up by gum" better... Barnsley is also well known for its brass bands, which were originally made up from the mining communities that worked the pits in and around Yorkshire... perfect for playing the opening bars of the Hovis theme music... :trumpet: (Note: Hovis actually comes from the Cheshire/Lancashire border but everyone associates it with Yorkshire anyway...)

So Barnsley FC. Mixed fortunes over the years at Oakwell but now the ship has been steadied by Paul Heckybum who stepped up to the plate when a certain Johnson Junior walked out of the stadium and drove his motor down the M1... 

They've been lucky enough this season to acquire the services of Ugbo on loan from Chelsea who is long rumoured to be the new Tammy Tammy... he is definitely one to watch...

Over a 1000 fans are coming down today to sit in the Atyeo but they won't be mixing in the fan village as they now have their own behind the stand. 

My prediction is a 3-1 win to us so fully expect a 4-0 drubbing and screams of 'Johnson Out' by FT. It's a bit early for banners...

Come on you reds...

Condensed Version

Barnsley:

Septic Tank of the north where rats are also called Whippets. Situated slap bang in the middle of a brewery and tea bag factory.

Fully expect their new signings Ugbo, McRib & Parky to be on the team sheet.

Former home of our head coach so expect "Johnson Out" to be sung from both the home and away ends.

2-1 City

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Thanks Justin. Great trivia too. When I was doing my research this morning, I found this and it made me laugh anyway...

They don't make them like they used to...

Arhhhhh yes... Shaftesbury, deep in Dorset. 

p.s. Thank you very much Peg.

Right back to work. :)

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Talking of which, can we have a roll call for all that have re-activated their pre-match rituals and routines after the summer break, and what they are?

The lucky socks (red with purple) have been specially laundered so that should see us ok for at least a point, unless I've put them on the wrong feet, in which case a defeat is on the cards! 

I've got the new away shirt (complete with Oxford label) on today, will try the replacement out at Brentford away in ten days to work out which is the luckier. 

:fingerscrossed:

Always Look On The Bright Cider Life

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

@Septic Pegrefusing to read - quick scan and cannot see the phrase Barnsley is a shithole anywhere - WTF? :grr:

Not the sort of phrase Havana would use so Peg is following his excellent example, however in my condensed version I refer to it as a septic tank which in reality is just a shit hole.

Just now, Neo said:

@Septic Pegrefusing to read - quick scan and cannot see the phrase Barnsley is a shithole anywhere - WTF? :grr:

Hey, we is posh now, wiv our shiny new stadium and fings... we gotta moderate our language accordingly...

so please rephrase your rather uncouth and course post....

if Annus Horribillis is good enough for the Queen its good enough for Otib - so use that instead.. and don't be a ignorant arsehole!

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not the sort of phrase Havana would use so Peg is following his excellent example, however in my condensed version I refer to it as a septic tank which in reality is just a shit hole.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... this will never do ... please refrain from lowering the tone Tone... and show us your decorum dear boy.

9 minutes ago, Neo said:

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

LOLZ!

Tbh, I forgot to add my customary 'Barnsley is a shithole "oop North" but seeing as I have my league thread hat on, be assured that come Plymouth in the cup, it'll be a shithole in Devon... :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

LOLZ!

Tbh, I forgot to add my customary 'Barnsley is a shithole "oop North" but seeing as I have my league thread hat on, be assured that come Plymouth in the cup, it'll be a shithole in Devon... :thumbsup:

Ahh f ** k it .. I give up, 

shit shit shit shit shit!!! ... there I've said it... this thread has gone right down the pan...what a load of orifices you lot really are...

No matter how long you've been in football - the first game of the season never gets any less exciting. Woke up at 7am and couldn't doze back off with excitement. 

Also - anyone on the fence about getting the new kit - get it!! 10x better quality than last year :clap:

Just now, RedKatieScarlett said:

In Turkey where it's nearly 3.00 and I'm on my 3rd daiquiri.... got all excited because my barman said he'd find the game... then couldn't ... and then I realised there's 2 more hours to wait anyway! COYR!!

Doing the same in Italy. On my 3rd Negroni, by the pool with Wi-fi. COYR! 

Archived