IGNORED

Fielding

Ashton98

Fielding has (so far) improved his distribution accuracy from last season (35%) to put him in line with most keepers this season. (48%)

Unless you have someone constantly dropping in to collect the ball from a keeper, it will probably be around the 50% mark.

IMG_8353.PNG

Fielding is a competent, not top keeper, but then few are at Championship level. Yes it would be great to have a keeper who commands his box, pulls off reaction saves and read the game well to stop the long shots too - but these are very few and far between. FF is a very good short distance shot-stopper, but has always been a bit suspect with shots from distance. He made some decent saves Saturday and although will never command the box, makes some good claims from crosses too.

He had no chance with Brum 1st goal, Gardener has scored many goals like that and the criminal mistake was leaving him unmarked just outside our box on play.

For 2nd, maybe a top keeper saves that, but 90% of the blame has to go to others; Eliasson who didn't stay with the runner, Hegeler who didn't get a block in (not to mention LJ for wrongly taking Brownhill off in the first place).

56 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Fielding has (so far) improved his distribution accuracy from last season (35%) to put him in line with most keepers this season. (48%)

Unless you have someone constantly dropping in to collect the ball from a keeper, it will probably be around the 50% mark.

IMG_8353.PNG

Please don't go spoiling a good slagging-off with appeals to sound, objective evidence. It really irritates the moaners.

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Please don't go spoiling a good slagging-off with appeals to sound, objective evidence. It really irritates the moaners.

Whilst he has improved on his biggest failing last season, albeit only 2 games in. We probably should look to improve on him.

I just don't think he's as bad as people make out. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It comes up every time we lose because at least one of the opposition goals, is a long shot from outside the box and FF don't get anywhere near it.

He's reasonable at saving one on one's but his record at saving anything from 20 yards + more is poor. Admittedly B'ham walked through our non existent midfield and defence before shooting it from a yard or so outside the box. So he's not entirely responsible.

He couldn't see that shot coming through a crowd of players, that's obviously why he didn't dive. No way was he to blame for that goal, ask anyone who has played in goal and they'll tell you the same.

10 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Whilst he has improved on his biggest failing last season, albeit only 2 games in. We probably should look to improve on him.

I just don't think he's as bad as people make out. 

That's exactly my position, too. As I said above, I have long agreed we need a second senior keeper. I'm not sure why we seem to experience so much difficulty in recruiting keepers. Maybe they just are harder to come by. What I dislike is this scapegoating that we see after every disappointing result. To suggest we lost this one primarily as a consequence of poor goalkeeping is unfair and inaccurate - and Fielding., despite his shortcomings (no pun intended) is not as bad as is being claimed.

10 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Out of interest, just watched MOTD.

Man Utd. second goal - Joe Hart didn't even dive.

He's the England 'keeper and 6' 5" FFS!!!

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

....and Hart made no attempt to come for it, preferring to stay on his line.

Wait, i'm confused. Are you trying to use Joe "Jesus hands" Hart as a comparison of a good keeper? :blink:

He may be one of our England keepers, but, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but our national team is still a bit s**t. Not as bad as under Roy bodgeson, but its no Venables side. Yet.

What you gain  with Frankie you will lose with a bigger keeper, OK FF kicking is a bit Suss to often kicking the ball straight out and his frame does allow him to be beaten by a good few long range shots (the 2nd goal he should of saved) but he is agile making him a very good close range shot stopper and the players seem to like and respect him. 

Keepers like Tom Heaton don't come around to often especially at championship level, When teams concede it's always the keeper under scrutiny not the midfield for not tracking back or the defender for positioning,  I am sure that other clubs berate their keepers as well. 

55 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Wait, i'm confused. Are you trying to use Joe "Jesus hands" Hart as a comparison of a good keeper? :blink:

He may be one of our England keepers, but, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but our national team is still a bit s**t. Not as bad as under Roy bodgeson, but its no Venables side. Yet.

Well I'm also confused.

Are you saying that Joe Hart isn't a good 'keeper???

There are numerous posters on here saying that FF isn't good enough, by pointing out his failings, and saying that we need a better 'keeper.

That maybe so. We can always look for better player in every position.

I was just pointing out that, at times, even top 'keepers fail to dive or take crosses in the six yard box.

I'm also confused as to the relevance of how good our national team is to the discussions on Frank Fielding.

:dunno:

17 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I'm also confused as to the relevance of how good our national team is to the discussions on Frank Fielding.

:dunno:

Well you were the one who brought it up.

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

He's the England 'keeper and 6' 5" FFS!!!

2 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Well you were the one who brought it up.

I never brought up how good the national side was under Hodgeson or Venables.

I mentioned Joe Hart as he is widely regarded as a top England 'keeper, and rightly so in my opinion, and was on MOTD failing to dive and failing to take a cross on his six yard line

You asked "Are you trying to use Joe "Jesus hands" Hart as a comparison of a good keeper?"

So, as I asked, are you saying that Joe Hart is not a good 'keeper???

You never answered.

On 12/08/2017 at 18:54, JonDolman said:

First goal he didn't even dive. Second one other keepers would have saved. Was the most important position to strengthen in at the start of the window. I understand it might have been hard getting in the targets. Just need to make sure we get one in soon.

I thought the EFL were clamping down on diving .

Frank, in my opinion, is like several other first team squad members. If we want to progress up the league to challenge for promotion, we need to replace them. How quickly we are able to do that will determine how much we make the upward move.

Keep them and we'll continually be lower mid table possibly flirting with relegation.

It's up to SL and LJ to decide how quickly we want to make the transition.

38 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I never brought up how good the national side was under Hodgeson or Venables.

I mentioned Joe Hart as he is widely regarded as a top England 'keeper, and rightly so in my opinion, and was on MOTD failing to dive and failing to take a cross on his six yard line

You asked "Are you trying to use Joe "Jesus hands" Hart as a comparison of a good keeper?"

So, as I asked, are you saying that Joe Hart is not a good 'keeper???

You never answered.

:grr:

Dear me, this is getting painful. It was meant as a light-hearted jest, but this is getting silly now. What part of:blink: or  “jesus hands” do you not understand? Jesus had holes in his hands so he would struggle to catch things; it’s not hard to comprehend. No, as I have made obviously, glaringly, blatantly clear again and again, I do not rate hart, which pep clearly didn’t either. I feel he is a player in decline; I expect west ham were the only team willing to meet his wages. LJ clearly doesn’t rate Franky either as he keeps trying to replace him with keepers too. I don't want to scapegoat him, and I havent as I have clearly said that pack's messed up free header and the cb's were at fault also, but we at least need a challenger for franky to encourage him to up his game. If we want to improve on last season we need to tighten up our defence and the goalkeeper is part of that. LJ knows this and even said in the post match interiew "we got sloppy, giving them the opportunity to launch the ball in our box." We are frail to this and teams will keep punishing us. A commanding keeper would help rectify this. Perhaps give Lucic a try, I just wished he had gone on loan to a English team rather than Aalborg. If LJ fails in his attempts to recruit a new keeper, lets just hope Coles is as good a goalkeeping coach as reported and can get Lucic up to speed. It's early days in the season, and i'm liking the high press, the quick passing, but like LJ said, defensively "Let's learn and learn fast."

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just to correct one thing we were not unlucky to leave Birmingham with nothing, we were the masters of our own defeat, because of individual errors, team errors, piss poor decision making at crucial times and not taking our chances, we got what we deserved, nothing and it was the same for far too many games last season, when we play 90 minutes like we did yesterday, teams do not have to be playing anywhere near well to beat us and that really is a problem.

Tbh though I don't recall us playing that well on too many occasions last season. The start we had papered over cracks that we're always there and on very few occasions did we batter teams that I can remember? I agree we have to be more clinical at both ends to see games out, perhaps it's on field leadership that is lacking, the disadvantage of having a youngish side.

15 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just to correct one thing we were not unlucky to leave Birmingham with nothing, we were the masters of our own defeat, because of individual errors, team errors, piss poor decision making at crucial times and not taking our chances, we got what we deserved, nothing and it was the same for far too many games last season, when we play 90 minutes like we did yesterday, teams do not have to be playing anywhere near well to beat us and that really is a problem.

A tad harsh. We played alot better than on the road last season and there is reason to be optimistic. Last year there was no real structure to our play and we were all over the place at times. This season we have already had 40 odd shots on goal and 60% possession. Thus, these show we are creating chances and having more of the ball. Birmingham fans were crowing that they beat us but they were a poor side and if anything it is 3 points dropped for me. 

What we have to do is stamp out the poor mistakes. The first goal was from very poor defending (Pack and Wright x2). Wright also gave away several needless free kicks in dangerous areas. The second goal was a great strike TBF and he was just too quick for our midfield and defence. FF should have saved it IMO given his positioning but we have had good chances and controlled much of the game. Bobby misses 2 sitters for me and if those go in, what a great win we would be saying. That is the margin in this division. 

We seldom win "ugly" and that is exactly what Birmingham did. I think there is alot more to come from us and I am not sure you could say the same for Birmingham. I think they will struggle......

Sometimes kicking the ball out into touch allows time to regroup. I know it gives the opposition possession but maybe he looks upfield before clearing and sees that no one is really available. 

Yes he's sometimes too slow with his distribution as well. 

Strange that people pick out the two goals conceded but not the saves made to keep it to two conceded. (I'm in Mexico with no highlights but I suspect he made a save before, during and after the goals)

I sometimes wonder if some of the criticism of FF is simply down to our first league game impression of him against  Bradford. 

6 hours ago, Bobfish said:

:grr:

Dear me, this is getting painful. It was meant as a light-hearted jest, but this is getting silly now. What part of:blink: or  “jesus hands” do you not understand? Jesus had holes in his hands so he would struggle to catch things; it’s not hard to comprehend. No, as I have made obviously, glaringly, blatantly clear again and again, I do not rate hart, which pep clearly didn’t either. I feel he is a player in decline; I expect west ham were the only team willing to meet his wages. LJ clearly doesn’t rate Franky either as he keeps trying to replace him with keepers too. I don't want to scapegoat him, and I havent as I have clearly said that pack's messed up free header and the cb's were at fault also, but we at least need a challenger for franky to encourage him to up his game. If we want to improve on last season we need to tighten up our defence and the goalkeeper is part of that. LJ knows this and even said in the post match interiew "we got sloppy, giving them the opportunity to launch the ball in our box." We are frail to this and teams will keep punishing us. A commanding keeper would help rectify this. Perhaps give Lucic a try, I just wished he had gone on loan to a English team rather than Aalborg. If LJ fails in his attempts to recruit a new keeper, lets just hope Coles is as good a goalkeeping coach as reported and can get Lucic up to speed. It's early days in the season, and i'm liking the high press, the quick passing, but like LJ said, defensively "Let's learn and learn fast."

Fair enough. I don't disagree with much of this.

Just not sure how Roy Hodgson, Venables and Jesus get into a discussion about whether Frank Fielding dominates his area or whether he should have dived for the first goal on Saturday !!!

:facepalm:

23 hours ago, Bobfish said:

If it is a fast cross from a counter maybe, but watch the first goal again. Anyone who has played football can see how terrible the header is their number nine makes, it is slow, far, far, far too high, and even joe hart could have claimed it. It is in the air for several seconds. Looks like a golfing stroke with a sand wedge. This is the bare basics of keeping and I doubt Coles teaches our keepers not to claim such aimless headers. You can see that fielding has his hands round his mouth and is shouting something, god knows what "someone t'deal with it because I t'ain't".

You are seriously suggesting that Frankie should have rushed off his line to deal with a ball that the 3 defenders there didn't?

Utterly bizarre, no way on earth is that part of the goal in any way down to him.

We had three defenders much nearer, one of whom should have dealt with it.

If he had charged out I doubt he would have got there in time and an attacker could have lobbed it into an empty net.

Under those circumstances he would have deserved to be criticised, not the one you suggest..

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You are seriously suggesting that Frankie should have rushed off his line to deal with a ball that the 3 defenders there didn't?

Utterly bizarre, no way on earth is that part of the goal in any way down to him.

We had three defenders much nearer, one of whom should have dealt with it.

If he had charged out I doubt he would have got there in time and an attacker could have lobbed it into an empty net.

Under those circumstances he would have deserved to be criticised, not the one you suggest..

Yes Flint would have dealt with it. The second was worse the bloke has run across the front of our box and got a shot off. To be fair I thought FF should have got down faster but the central defence not dealing with both situations is the first issue. 

Archived