IGNORED

When Will The Squad Be Complete?

And Its Smith

Lee Johnson has been here for only a short while but in that time we have seen an incredible turnover in players.  So much so that it is now fully his squad and he should be judged as such.

In his 18 months at the club these are the numbers of comings and goings, if I am correct:

Permanent In: 19

Permanent Out: 12

Loans In: 9

Loans Out: 9

49 dealings in 18 months.  

When is this squad complete and ready for a safe mid table season?  People will say we are always looking to improve which is fine but surely we need some time of stability.  How many will we 'need' in January?  I suggest that we only keep signing players as we are getting so many signings wrong.  

We have signed another striker today with no pace.  In four games time will Johnson realise we need more pace and start scouting another striker for January?  Will games like Brentford become quite common and he will realise he needs another midfielder?  

It does seem incredible that after nineteen permanent signings we still seem short!  Or is it the coach can't get the best out of these signings? 

How many of these signings would fans be unanimous to say are good enough for mid table?  Wright and Baker are two.  Anyone else? 

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Johnson has been here for only a short while but in that time we have seen an incredible turnover in players.  So much so that it is now fully his squad and he should be judged as such.

In his 18 months at the club these are the numbers of comings and goings, if I am correct:

Permanent In: 19

Permanent Out: 12

Loans In: 9

Loans Out: 9

49 dealings in 18 months.  

When is this squad complete and ready for a safe mid table season?  People will say we are always looking to improve which is fine but surely we need some time of stability.  How many will we 'need' in January?  I suggest that we only keep signing players as we are getting so many signings wrong.  

We have signed another striker today with no pace.  In four games time will Johnson realise we need more pace and start scouting another striker for January?  Will games like Brentford become quite common and he will realise he needs another midfielder?  

It does seem incredible that after nineteen permanent signings we still seem short!  Or is it the coach can't get the best out of these signings? 

How many of these signings would fans be unanimous to say are good enough for mid table?  Wright and Baker are two.  Anyone else? 

Agree with your concerns Dave but in fairness I'd say

Brownhill

Famara

Pisano possibly 

And I think COD will

The rest - I have varying doubts about personally

Edit

Apologies - Patterson on his day - or somewhere near it - consistency IMHO an issue as a permanent starter 

2 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

If we're struggling by January unless there is some kind of apocalypse and our players are eaten alive then LJ will have had his time here.

HIS squad should be complete by August 31

I would hope it's not "complete" ever! We are always looking to sign the right players to improve. 

Just now, EmersonsRed said:

Fair point, you know what I mean though, complete enough to compete at the level we should be, not fighting relegation!

The squad is more than capable of competing at this level, and I would say that they are (so far).

Nothing wrong with always looking to improve. It would be a worry if we weren't.

49 dealings in 18 months is genuinely mad tbh. That's a huge churn. Perhaps it's the new norm now, but it seems crazily high?

Certainly think we made too many, sometimes giving a manager too many options can be a bad thing. Hope for a period of stability soon, with so much chopping and changing- and I don't just mean the team but the squad, how can a cohesive unit be built? How can momentum, a team spirit and a proper structure be built with so many in and out?

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

49 dealings in 18 months is genuinely mad tbh. That's a huge churn. Perhaps it's the new norm now, but it seems crazily high?

Certainly think we made too many, sometimes giving a manager too many options can be a bad thing. Hope for a period of stability soon, with so much chopping and changing- and I don't just mean the team but the squad, how can a cohesive unit be built? How can momentum, a team spirit and a proper structure be built with so many in and out?

Which is probably a large part of why we struggled last season.

Fewer ins and outs this summer will mean a more settled squad and improved performances.

We have also bought players for their potential rather than for immediate impact. It's hard to comment on the permanents really; how could we judge the signing of Taylor Moore or Lucic at today's date for instance?

Personally I think we are a strong goalkeeper and a strong CM away from being real competitors in this League. I'd say only a goalkeeper if GON decides to turn up this year, but I doubt that very much and would have zero faith in him if I was manager.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Think you are missing the point 

Not really.

A squad will never be complete. If a team had a truly complete squad then they would make no signings between seasons, has any club done that outside of those under an embargo?

We have had an unusually high number of transfers, but how many of those 19 permanent ones you have said are the ones for 3 years or so? Plavotic, Begovic etc. 

When Johnson came in we were in desperate need of players because of how depleted the squad was. Again adding to the transfers needed.

23 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Personally I'm not comfortable with such a high turnover of players. Generally we spend more than we receive meaning the costs are passed on to us.

Yes, it's Steve money but cost of tickets and merchandise continue to rise. 

Tickets didn't go up. Replica kits didn't go up. Pints didn't go up. Pies didn't go up. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not really.

A squad will never be complete. If a team had a truly complete squad then they would make no signings between seasons, has any club done that outside of those under an embargo?

We have had an unusually high number of transfers, but how many of those 19 permanent ones you have said are the ones for 3 years or so? Plavotic, Begovic etc. 

When Johnson came in we were in desperate need of players because of how depleted the squad was. Again adding to the transfers needed.

Not even included the two you mention! 

My overriding point was (think you've been wrapped up with thread title) that Johnson seems to sign players and then decide those players need improving on.  Or that he needs a different type of player, hence the question will he realise we need more pace up front soon, after today's signing (another striker with no pace)

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

You need a settled squad at some point, with a bit of refinement.

I agree, in theory. Although with the money splashed about in the Championship nowadays, today's mid table squad can easily become tomorrow's relegation threatened squad, if they fail to upgrade players to keep pace with the rest of the division. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's shows me how woefully light cott left the squad in to be honest

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

My overriding point was (think you've been wrapped up with thread title) that Johnson seems to sign players and then decide those players need improving on.  Or that he needs a different type of player, hence the question will he realise we need more pace up front soon, after today's signing (another striker with no pace)

Such as?

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why do we need pace up top? If we are playing pass and move football I can see we need someone with decent acceleration, which we've got, not sure we need blistering pace though. We rarely bomb down the middle at sides, and if we did I'm happy enough with Famara who isn't going to be easy to displace or outmuscle in a race. Happy to stick with wide players having the speed and our striker having strength; especially if his job is to hold the ball and release to our CAM or two other wide forward thinking players running in behind.

Archived