IGNORED

Will Hörður get sold this summer ?

Major Isewater

Seems like clubs are alert to Hörður's lack of game time , could his agent be looking for a way out of Ashton Gate ? 

LJ spoke recently about him being cover at LB , suggesting that he's way down the list of starting Centre Backs .

Another strange affair .

Why buy promising youngsters then not play them because they ' aren't ready ' ? 

:blink:

12 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I just wish when we sign new players they are better than what we have and they go straight into the first team. 

We need a blend of established players and youngsters pushing them hard for their place in the first team.

I don't think , as a club , we can satisfy young internationals by playing them occasionally or sending them out in loan to league 2 .

Magnússon , Engvall and Taylor Moore amongst others cannot possibly think that they have advanced their careers coming here .

As a club we are still work in progress .

8 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

I just wish when we sign new players they are better than what we have and they go straight into the first team. 

Yep. We've got a team of wonderfully consistently, inconsistent lightweights. Replace and put them in the 'development squad' until they can be trusted to be regular high performers worthy of first team places of 40+ games per season.

How many more Engvalls, Maggers, Arnold's, CoDs do we need FFS? 

Please, no more faffing around, just get a scouting network and a chief scout in place that is Championship fit for purpose. Ideally, change the entire set up so the manager has a direct and sole input into who we buy. His player/his responsibility. He stands or falls on his decisions.

We seem to have management by Committee, with LJ having little/no ownership of players coming in. Serious questions would be being asked of a manager with his track record of purchases under the traditional system. He seems to be able to distance himself from any criticism under the current set up though. Not good.

But like many players left on the sidelines, they need a run in in the first team to really show what they can do.

our reserve level isn't good enough to do that.

I suspect Hörður might have been a legacy of Des Taylor (like Taylor Moore) so LJ is shrugging and saying 'I wouldn't have signed them' as you say - signing by committee, which isn't good.

i've said before - we've spent a lot of money on these players, they aren't up coming youngsters really - HM is an international player, so why would he expect to sit on the sidelines while we buy in new defenders.

The argument about getting players cheaper from Europe is meaningless, if we don't actually play them (Hegeler warming the bench again is another example)

5 minutes ago, Antman said:

But like many players left on the sidelines, they need a run in in the first team to really show what they can do.

our reserve level isn't good enough to do that.

I suspect Hörður might have been a legacy of Des Taylor (like Taylor Moore) so LJ is shrugging and saying 'I wouldn't have signed them' as you say - signing by committee, which isn't good.

i've said before - we've spent a lot of money on these players, they aren't up coming youngsters really - HM is an international player, so why would he expect to sit on the sidelines while we buy in new defenders.

The argument about getting players cheaper from Europe is meaningless, if we don't actually play them (Hegeler warming the bench again is another example)

Agree with you on this. We should be having a situation where players are moved on , e.g. Wilbraham and a 'ready made' player to slot in and take their place and a youngster stepping up fill that vacancy, a chain of succession. We should only be buying experience rarely as we are creating our own experienced players.

These International players have come to play as you say. If they stay with us long enough to reach the end of their contracts without regular appearances I can see them leaving on a free or next to nothing, they aren't going to sign for us again are they, and more worrying word will get round. Yes they do have to push for a place, but they also need a realistic chance that a place is available.

I don't think Magnússon is the type of character that would hand in a transfer request, If he is in search of a move.. I'm sure he will go about it professionally and let his agent see what's about.

Mags clearly has struck up a good relationship with the fans, and I think he's happy at City and in Bristol but at his age he really needs to be playing regular first time football.

He's talented enough to play week in week out at a good level, but for what ever reason LJ doesn't view him as the immediate answer for the first team. 

Think he may end up staying this season, but lack of football may well see him move on next summer. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he moved on this summer if the right offer came up. 

I hope he stays. great lad and fantastic player.  

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If my memory serves me correctly LJ has previously said that the reason Mags wasn't playing is that he was a one position player, and now he still isn't playing when LJ says he is a two position player. I am confused, and I bet Mags is as well

I think most of us are confused....................about quite a number of things...............

I have just read this steaming pile of LJ dog shite, where he extols the virtues of Magnússon as a left back FFS, he has played him in that position exactly once and last season when we needed another left back LJ defenders told us that LJ obviously never rated him as a left back.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lee-johnson-discusses-five-centre-339692

Do yourself a favour Mr Magnússon get out now, before the next critique from the riddler.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was always under the impression Mags was a useful player, decent technically and the odd goal.

He kept Perisic nullified for Iceland in June- got the winner too, so he must have some talent. I guess he's just slipped back in pecking order.

Or just like last season obviously out performed by others in our consistent defence.

Bit odd really.  He's into the second year of a three year deal and it doesn't look like he's going to play.  He's looked ok to me, bit easy to push around and probably better on the left side of a three than as one of two.  I'd like to see him have a run at left back with Joe Bryan in front of him to see if he can really settle into that role.  That would allow us to put Paterson on the right and bring Brownhill into the centre.  I suspect if he's not had a lot of game time by January he'll be off either then or in the summer.  Perhaps it hinges on whether Flint stays or goes.

3 minutes ago, cynic said:

He looks to be a very talented player to me - but spends far too much time being put on his arse by opposition players. Slight touch, and he's down looking at the ref for a free kick.

Get that out of his game and he'd be a regular at this level or even higher imo. Until then, a liability.

Agree with that, I'd want his passing out of defence to be a bit more carefully selected.  He sometimes is a bit ambitious where simpler is better.  He needs game time to get that experience though.

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I really like Maggs at centre back and left back.  Particularly like his long throws too (which could be used more). But I do agree that Joe is a better LB and we have lots od better centre backs.

We really need to get the Flint situation sorted though as if he stays we have one to many centre backs on the payrole.

I'm not worried if he doesn't go - With Đurić being out, and possibly for the next 2-3 months, I think Flint could do a job up top as his replacement. After all, he knows where the goal is. Not a perfect fit, but a pretty good temporary replacement. As you've said, we don't need him at the back at the moment.

He was the ideal sub on Saturday - with his physical presence, we could have chucked him up top and given their defenders something to worry about in the last 30 mins. Shame he wasn't on the bench.

As for Mags - hope he stays. He reads the game very well...if he can add a bit more physicality to his game then he'd be a damn good centre half.

He just doesn't look quite strong enough at this level, Millwall would have enjoyed him or Heggler Saturday, lots of money spent with an obvious flaw he's lightweight, what was our scouts thinking ?

I think Mr LJ has wasted a fair few quid at the Gate, not sure I would trust him with any more 

3 hours ago, cynic said:

He looks to be a very talented player to me - but spends far too much time being put on his arse by opposition players. Slight touch, and he's down looking at the ref for a free kick.

Get that out of his game and he'd be a regular at this level or even higher imo. Until then, a liability.

Spot on.

7 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He ceetainly has potential and was good enough to be a part of an Iceland team that beat England.

Did he play that day?...Potential definately, realise it here?

If we had a back three then play him or push Bryan on and play behind him in a four....Or god forbid play bryan in the middle. Either way his path is blocked everywhere until a sale or an injury.

On his play, he is ponderous on the ball when given time he takes an age and gets closed down, one of the reasons LJ does not fancy him anywhere...**** I am starting to get fed up with all this already....Engval, Magnússon, Tomlin, GON, Hegeler, Flint, what the **** next in the roll call of WTF!

8 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Seems like clubs are alert to Hörður's lack of game time , could his agent be looking for a way out of Ashton Gate ? 

LJ spoke recently about him being cover at LB , suggesting that he's way down the list of starting Centre Backs .

Another strange affair .

Why buy promising youngsters then not play them because they ' aren't ready ' ? 

:blink:

Same old bullshit from Johnson 

2 hours ago, shelts said:

He just doesn't look quite strong enough at this level, Millwall would have enjoyed him or Heggler Saturday, lots of money spent with an obvious flaw he's lightweight, what was our scouts thinking ?

I think Mr LJ has wasted a fair few quid at the Gate, not sure I would trust him with any more 

Have to agree, and you would have thought that northern europeans would be more likely to cope with the physical nature of championship football?

To be fair though, pretty much everyone signed in the last year or so has struggled, whether they are from iceland, sweden or oxford. Great.

Archived