IGNORED

Which LJ signings have improved since coming here ?

Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Difficult to say whether that was as a result of LJ's superb coaching on the training pitches, or whether Tammy is just a massive talent who would've flourished under any manager in the Championship.

As I said, a really difficult one to say...

I am prepared to be a little more balanced, I think, in saying that he improved under LJ. Cannot really think of anyone else but then how would we know and of course the cynic in me might say Tammy improved because he was prepared to put up with LJ and his tactics as he knew it was only for a year. On the other hand I am sure LJ can influence and improve some characters. As I said, I think, but what do I and any of you know.

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

I am prepared to be a little more balanced, I think, in saying that he improved under LJ. Cannot really think of anyone else but then how would we know and of course the cynic in me might say Tammy improved because he was prepared to put up with LJ and his tactics as he knew it was only for a year. On the other hand I am sure LJ can influence and improve some characters. As I said, I think, but what do I and any of you know.

Or maybe he is just a super talent who would have improved absolutely anywhere in the footballing world?.

As for the the highlighted portion an improvement in their football skills is more important and sadly lacking at AG.

Out of the players we've signed under LJ - off the top of my head I think it's fair to class the following as 'ones for the future' 

• Moore
  • Engvall
  • De Girolamo
  • Lucic
  • Hinds
  • Engvall*

Then a few who are inbetween because it's either unclear how much first team football they're going to get or they're young players who've featured in the first team.  

*- In Engvall's case it's unclear; noises when he signed were that he was a first team player but hasn't been treated as one.

• Eliasson
  • Brownhill
  • Magnússon
  • O'Dowda

In my opinion it's reasonable to say that Brownhill, De Girolamo and Hinds are all noticeably better players than when they arrived. (Hinds and De Girolamo not being regular first team players though)

Then there's the likes of O'Dowda, Moore, Lucic, and Magnússon where it's difficult to say. I find it hard to believe that none of those players have improved at all as a result of being at the club and training every day - you'd expect any young professional footballer to improve from that. In the case of Moore, O'Dowda and Magnússon whether that improvement is as quick as you'd hope isn't clear. Lucic and Moore haven't played enough at the level for a definitive answer though. 

I think most have improved to a degree - but whether that improvement is rapid enough to justify the expenditure is another question. 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Does it have to be a LJ signing?

Pack, Bryan, Reid, Paterson, Brownhill all look to have improved significantly if you ask me. 

Apart from Bryan how many of those did you see regularly play before coming to us to know they have improved with us?

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In my opinion it's reasonable to say that Brownhill, De Girolamo and Hinds are all noticeably better players than when they arrived. (Hinds and De Girolamo not being regular first team players though)

Sadly two of those are nowhere near the first team - until they do it at the business end of the club it is sadly irrelivant  

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

Never seen this site before @Phileas Fogg - some interesting stuff on there

Was intrigued by this valuation - I thought we paid £5.3m for him?

Capture.PNG

Think that's supposed to be an estimate at his 'worth' if we sold him today. Not really sure how they calculate that.

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

True, but if we are grading them against U23 level etc have they improved?

Not sure as I don't know enough about other clubs. Hinds coming from Luton youth and now being a first team fringe player (albeit because of injuries) indicates measurable improvement to me. I've only seen De Girolamo a few times and in that time he improved, needs a solid loan to L1/2 IMO.

4 minutes ago, AlrightMeBabber said:

Hegeler.. Seems much more composed and seems more comfortable bringing the ball out from the back. Don't think he should've been on the bench the last 2 games personally. 

So LJ has improved him (mind you how many German games have any of us seen him play to actually reference that?) and then benched him?, sounds about right.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

So LJ has improved him (mind you how many German games have any of us seen him play to actually reference that?) and then benched him?, sounds about right.

Why wouldn't he bench Hegeler when Baker and Wright are better options? He's seemingly overtaken Magnússon's situation in regards to his position in the squad.

2 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Why wouldn't he bench Hegeler when Baker and Wright are better options? He's seemingly overtaken Magnússon's situation in regards to his position in the squad.

Good point well made, but having worked so hard improving the skills of 29 year old Herr Hegeler a player signed as a midfielder is he on the bench when our midfield has been so poor for the past 2 and half games?.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I know we need patience but which players bought in as ones for the future have improved under our coaching ? 

I can't readily think of one .

Zero. Not one of them. He talks the talk but actually I think the Jury is Out on his transfers in general. The excuse will be that they need time to "mature" and have been brought for the future.... E.g. Engvall is not ready because he comes from a small island and has found it difficult to cope. Utter BS. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr Engvall and I can tell you that he was ready to play for us. Banging in goals in Sweden but then it is not a competitive league is it.... enter Eliason......

There is no consistency in our transfer dealings IMO. SC was keen only to add players who improved the first 11.... have we really done this when you compare SC's starting 11 against the current team.... not sure.

Tammy. Anyone elses improvement is so negligible its barely noticeable.

Which for a club whose intention is to sign young players and improve them is a slight problem. Im looking with interest to see how elliason turns out, if we sign him then he doesnt get a chance, will we sanction signing his replacement to bloat the squad even more, like with so many others?

14 minutes ago, WRERE said:

Baker and Wright are not better options. Hegeler should be in the team either as a CB or a midfielder. Personally, I would play 4321 and have him in a midfield 3. LJ wont do that.

I think Brownhill has definitely improved. And RE: Tammy, I always think if we're blaming LJ for the poor performance of things under his control, then we also have to give credit where those things went well. Tammy went well

After that, struggling. Bryan maybe, but he probably played his best football under Cotts. It may well be that Moore, Vyner, Kelly, Morrell, Magnússon, Hinds have all improved, but we wouldn't know because we never see them  

51 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Another way of asking this question, is how many ex players have improved since leaving us ?

A very very good point. 

Ayling and Freeman immediately spring to mind. You might argue Kodjia. And we know that Adam Matthews is capable of so much more than he showed here, ditto Tomlin (who I accept is a complicated issue!). We've also made multi promotion winning Gary O'Neil shit.

Joe Bryan has certainly not improved and Bobby Reid - well it's not difficult to improve on not playing is it?

9 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

SC was keen only to add players who improved the first 11.... 

And in doing so left us with a very small squad (17 first team players wasn't it?) which needed bolstering when LJ came in. Buying only players who improved our first team would then have been very costly for the amount needed to bolster the squad enough.

Archived