IGNORED

Gas in the next round anyone?

Mr Yoda

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Brilliant atmosphere was caused by that. 

Hatred is what makes derby games great. 

Can't be beaten. One of the rare times - along with Playoff games - where everyone is up for it.

One of the best derby atmospheres' in the country IMO. Genuine dislike and we play them so rarely.

Some of these 'big club' Prem derbies can be a bit tame in comparison as they play each other every single season and I don't think there's genuine dislike.

7 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Brilliant atmosphere was caused by that. 

Hatred is what makes derby games great. 

Hatred in the 'shout at each other from the stands' sort makes for a great atmosphere. 

Pissed up bellends making us all look like backwater knob heads on TV is not so good. 

22 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Would it sell out though? Judging by the tiny crowds this competition is attracting I'm not convinced. Reckon we'd have to meet them in the latter stages for it to be a full house.

Blackburn-Burnley tonight will be an interesting litmus test - crowds at Ewood have been pathetic but the prospect of facing the old enemy will swell the attendance, however still potentially balanced out by the Carabao stay away factor.

It definitely would.

The fact our games are so sporadic and a fantastic is always generated atmosphere means we'd definitely sell out.

3 hours ago, matalan12 said:

The first round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy was on sky. Its a huge game. Fans always tune in for a rivalry, especially a same city derby.

Would rather avoid them at all costs, quite happily never play them again. Thought of their lot packing out the Atyeo makes me feel a bit sick.

The JPT game was on Sky because the alternative was Bury v Port Vale or somesuch, this time it will be something like Southampton v Manchester United and Sky (or any other TV company) will go for the game they think will get larger viewing figures worldwide, not just in BS postcodes.

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

......or we could smash them 6 or 7 nil with MT scoring a hat-trick at the Atyeo end 

i don't want those pikey's anywhere near our ground, they'll try and steal it, and when the police come to move them on they'll just try and take us to court, 

Rather not have the hassle

I would be pretty happy with Bristol derby- but then again a PL away draw- we are due one, even at home, a PL draw vs a big side. The last decent sized game we had was Everton at home...Carling Cup 2004! That could be excellent, but could also attract if say MU, particularly Arsenal a lot of Bristol based MU/Arsenal fans in home ends. Which not only would dilute the atmosphere but could also kick off in the (likely) event of them taking the lead.

Away to a big side would also be good, something not to forget. When it comes down to it though, local derbies are great. Especially when you get so few.

I am happy with either a big side, home or away, a decent side or a winnable home game v lower league to progress further. And a Bristol derby. What would be shit would be a banana skin (Rochdale away)? or a dull as crap side at home. Brentford for example- not knocking them, but they are not an inspiring draw to say the least.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would be pretty happy with Bristol derby- but then again a PL away draw- we are due one, even at home, a PL draw vs a big side. The last decent sized game we had was Everton at home...Carling Cup 2004! That could be excellent, but could also attract if say MU, particularly Arsenal a lot of Bristol based MU/Arsenal fans in home ends. Which not only would dilute the atmosphere but could also kick off in the (likely) event of them taking the lead.

Away to a big side would also be good, something not to forget. When it comes down to it though, local derbies are great. Especially when you get so few.

I am happy with either a big side, home or away, a decent side or a winnable home game v lower league to progress further. And a Bristol derby. What would be shit would be a banana skin (Rochdale away)? or a dull as crap side at home. Brentford for example- not knocking them, but they are not an inspiring draw to say the least.

Forgot to add Carling Cup 2007 Man City and you know West Ham 2015 was decent also.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A big side home or away is only good if the big side put out a strong team.

All that excitement after the draw becomes disappointment when the teamsheet is announced.

5 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

A big side home or away is only good if the big side put out a strong team.

All that excitement after the draw becomes disappointment when the teamsheet is announced.

Yeah, there is that.

I do recall that one year- 2008 maybe,  we lost to Crewe in an early round of Carling Cup...they got Liverpool away in next round. Typical.

Something special about derbies though. The atmosphere tends to be great, the buildup is usually exciteable. Ideally at home if we draw either PL or Bristol derby.

Archived