IGNORED

OTIB Ongoing Quiz

BCFC Rich

54 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

Paisley according to online sources, SJ.

I first learned of this in The Bristol Babe by David Woods, unfortunately, my copy isn't accessible to check if Shankly did as well. 

I have my copy to hand. Will have a looky.

Edit: Both!

15041000775511727184852.jpg

14 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Correctamente! I suppose it was a bit of a come down at City v S'land after the World Cup Final West Germany v Holland.

OK, looks like I've got 2 right, so time for me to add a question.

Keeping to @cidered aboroad 's 76-77 season theme. City's fantastic run in to the famous Coventry match included a home game v. Man.Utd. 

Finished 1-1, Chris Garland putting City ahead, Jimmy Greenhoff with the 2nd half equaliser.

Q: Which 2 players were sent off for fighting, and which Man.Utd player missed the subsequent F.A. Cup final after being stretchered off with a broken leg?

No looking up - memories only please!

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

OK, looks like I've got 2 right, so time for me to add a question.

Keeping to @cidered aboroad 's 76-77 season theme. City's fantastic run in to the famous Coventry match included a home game v. Man.Utd. 

Finished 1-1, Chris Garland putting City ahead, Jimmy Greenhoff with the 2nd half equaliser.

Q: Which 2 players were sent off for fighting, and which Man.Utd player missed the subsequent F.A. Cup final after being stretchered off with a broken leg?

No looking up - memories only please!

Gow and McIlroy sent off

Houston broken leg

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The first FA Cup goal I saw at Ashton Gate was scored by the father of another City player who scored the deciding goal that gave us promotion on the final day of the season.

Who are they?

Don & Brian Clark?

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

One of Bill Shankly's brothers was called Bob.

That's thrown a right spanner in the works. I just assumed it was a typo... 

Edit: just had a quick Google and it says that Bob Shankly went down the mines in Ayrshire just before the war and made football into more of a hobby. As a miner, he would have been in a reserved occupation so wouldn't have been able to join up. 

So think this is a typo and it was Bill who was in the RAF bases up and down the country that played for City 

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

That's thrown a right spanner in the works. I just assumed it was a typo... 

Edit: just had a quick Google and it says that Bob Shankly went down the mines in Ayrshire just before the war and made football into more of a hobby. As a miner, he would have been in a reserved occupation so wouldn't have been able to join up. 

So think this is a typo and it was Bill who was in the RAF bases up and down the country that played for City 

Maybe a typo but I doubt it - Bob Shankly was a professional footballer, combining it with his job as a miner.

As a point of interest Bill Shankly had 4 brothers, and all 5 were professional footballers.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe a typo but I doubt it - Bob Shankly was a professional footballer, combining it with his job as a miner.

As a point of interest Bill Shankly had 4 brothers, and all 5 were professional footballers.

Correct. I just meant as a miner in Ayrshire in Scotland, in a reserved occupation during WW2, he was hardly gonna come down and play for City was he? Whereas Bill being in the RAF and posted all over the place was more likely. In fact, it even says in the piece I quoted, "depending on the availability of players who were based locally". I know for a fact that even before an RAF person saw a plane, they likely saw a few different bases just to complete basic training.

I can only assume that Bob continued playing football outside of his regular mining up in Scotland. 

Edit: He did. He played for Falkirk throughout WW2.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Correct. I just meant as a miner in Ayrshire in Scotland, in a reserved occupation during WW2, he was hardly gonna come down and play for City was he? Whereas Bill being in the RAF and posted all over the place was more likely. In fact, it even says in the piece I quoted, "depending on the availability of players who were based locally". I know for a fact that even before an RAF person saw a plane, they likely saw a few different bases just to complete basic training.

I can only assume that Bob continued playing football outside of his regular mining up in Scotland. 

Edit: He did. He played for Falkirk throughout WW2.

I still reckon Bob Shankly is favourite.

Bill Shankly was actually in the RAF as you say- 'his playing career was interrupted by his wartime service in the RAF' -so less likely to be available for selection imo. He may even have been abroad much of the time.

AS well as appearing for Alloa and Falkirk Bob Shankly also played in Tonbridge so was not confined to Scotland, and being a miner in a reserved occupation, who also continued as a professional footballer, he's more likely to have been appearing in matches like that imo.

If 'Bob Shankly' hadn't existed, or wasn't a professional footballer himself, then obviously a typo would be likely but as he did it seems it probably was him and very unlikely imo. David Woods would have overseen such a printing error.

19 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Correct again.

At which Bristol pub did the Gloucestershire Football Association meet to first consider Bristol South End's application to adopt the name Bristol City Football Club before finally giving it's approval on August 7th 1897?

11 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

In England and Scotland only 1 team doesn't contain any of these letters. MACKEREL. Which team is it

Swindon Town?

If correct my question is where l have I left my bloody car keys?

18 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

In England and Scotland only 1 team doesn't contain any of these letters. MACKEREL. Which team is it

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Swindon Town?

If correct my question is where l have I left my bloody car keys?

Ipswich too...

29 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

At which Bristol pub did the Gloucestershire Football Association meet to first consider Bristol South End's application to adopt the name Bristol City Football Club before finally giving it's approval on August 7th 1897?

Full Moon hotel in gas territory... :whistle:

Archived