IGNORED

Renato Sanches CONFIRMED : Swansea City on loan

brizzlelou

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saw a few rumours post Euro 2016 that he wasn't actually the age on his birth certificate given how physical he was compared to other players his age.

Probably nonsense but was a hark back to all those rumours about Obafemi Martins a few years back!

5 hours ago, Olé said:

I saw him play countless times for Benfica (and Portugal in Euro 2016) as well as the videos that circulated prior to that of him in Benfica youth and B teams. He was an absolutely phenomenal talent for his age at every level. His first and only season for the Benfica first team was ridiculous, granted the standard isn't always top class but he got into the team and then led it to the title with a consistent run of high energy performances and slick one touch passing and attacking play.

Mourinho was quoted as saying if he had been appointed a few weeks earlier at Man Utd he would have signed him. So with all this context, despite the season at Bayern, it is a sensational signing, and probably good for all parties. According to the press in Portugal lots of teams Milan included were in for him. His season at Bayern was a disaster but they only started him six times so Taylor Moore levels of rustiness, although did have their highest pass completion ratio (88%).

I didn't watch Bayern so can't comment really on whether he deserved to play more but the cynic in me says that since the deal with Benfica was €35m potentially rising to €80m with add ons, there must have been a bunch of expensive performance and playing bonuses that Bayern may have deliberately avoided in his first season. Anyway the real story for me is how Swansea, who nearly went out of the league, are now an established Prem team signing European Champions. :grr:

Damn right. Comparing our recent success with the teams we used to compete with around the top of the third tier does not to a happy afternoon lead. 

Framed more optimistically, shows that we get things right on and off the pitch no reason why we can't finally make it to the top in the next 5-10 years and start signing international stars ourselves. 

Swansea supposedly paying £8.5m to Bayern to have Sanches for one season. That's a lot of money and will have priced out some bigger European teams.

Bear in mind that some bigger clubs in Europe invest large sums in players only with investor/third party support because they're assets with capital value so unless a player is a disaster, the transfer fee is still recovered often with profit, so it's only the wages and signing on fee that cost anything.

By comparison this is a lot of money out the door for a season of football. 

56 minutes ago, Olé said:

Swansea supposedly paying £8.5m to Bayern to have Sanches for one season. That's a lot of money and will have priced out some bigger European teams.

Bear in mind that some bigger clubs in Europe invest large sums in players only with investor/third party support because they're assets with capital value so unless a player is a disaster, the transfer fee is still recovered often with profit, so it's only the wages and signing on fee that cost anything.

By comparison this is a lot of money out the door for a season of football. 

Man City want to pay 60 Million to have Alexis Sanchez for a extra season, Liverpool paid 40 million to have the Ox for a extra season.

8 million is a steal.

Actually just seen it's closer to 4 million. Bargain of the century. 

19 hours ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Why weren't we in for him....................

...anything to do with the £4m fee (for ONE season), him wanting high level games to get into the national team, his club wanting to get him playing at the highest level in a competitive league, and us not having Ancelotti's former number 2 as our manager?  I mean apart from that, of course he'd have signed...!

16 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

How much have you watched him play?

This is why I ask. Dave is correct, completely underwhelming, really average all season. Didn't keep up with the tempo Bayern were trying to play whatsoever. I am in no doubt whatsoever none of these big clubs were actually in for him. Milan were probably put off during pre-season when Sanches started against them and Milan cruised to victory. Swansea is probably at this moment Renato Sanches' level and anybody who has watched him play would probably say the same thing. Some people see an award and a big price tag next to his name and think he's the dogs bollocks though... He was shoddy at best at the U21 championships too

I watch more Bundesliga than Premiership.

Fair enough he didn't have a decent year last year, but he only started something like 4 games. 

Still an unbelievable signing. Happy to be proven wrong but he's streets about Swansea and that will show this season. 

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Proper nightmare that. Gave Perez a swift kick in the nads and gave the ball away 14 (fourteen) times.

As I suggested above - he is a below average footballer and his level is Swansea. It'll consistently be proven throughout the season. The hype of some players due to social media is incredible!!

3 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

As I suggested above - he is a below average footballer and his level is Swansea. It'll consistently be proven throughout the season. The hype of some players due to social media is incredible!!

In all honesty I've not watched a lot of him at all so I'll have to take your word for it, but based solely on that he's found his level.

Archived