IGNORED

Tyreeq Bakinson

Silvio Dante

Anyone else get the signs this is more than a "standard" development squad signing? (I.e sign and see how he goes). Look at the following:

- Luton reports that the fee is significant- in today's market, I expect that's over £500k

- LJ is glowing - a mix of Viera and Elliott stated and a fast track to first team in 18 months

- Most unusually, a 4 year contract for an 18 year old in the development squad, way outside the standard 

I may be way off piste here, but I get the distinct impression this lad has been signed for this season if things go well..

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Anyone else get the signs this is more than a "standard" development squad signing? (I.e sign and see how he goes). Look at the following:

- Luton reports that the fee is significant- in today's market, I expect that's over £500k

- LJ is glowing - a mix of Viera and Elliott stated and a fast track to first team in 18 months

- Most unusually, a 4 year contract for an 18 year old in the development squad, way outside the standard 

I may be way off piste here, but I get the distinct impression this lad has been signed for this season if things go well..

You are well off piste and heading for the beach,he could hardly get in the Luton side so he's hardly going to rock up here and get a few games 

46 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

When did he say that? Big label to stick on a youngster.

LJ said a mix of viera and Elliott in the bcfc TV interview today. He also said that this lad wasn't cheap and seemed to make a real point of it rather than a throw away comment. 

I think they've seen something very special in this lad as he said he's been tracking him for a year. In Bakinson's interview I think he also said that we've been putting bids in all summer. 

6 hours ago, pride of the west said:

LJ said a mix of viera and Elliott in the bcfc TV interview today. He also said that this lad wasn't cheap and seemed to make a real point of it rather than a throw away comment. 

I think they've seen something very special in this lad as he said he's been tracking him for a year. In Bakinson's interview I think he also said that we've been putting bids in all summer. 

Viera..??-the lad will be pulling strings fir us in the Europa league fairly soon then...

Lee chattin shit again.

Luton could have been "talking him down" and "trying to hold him back" for good reasons. Just trying to keep his feet on the ground and ensure that he continues learning/improving without too much attention to distract him?

If there is something a bit special in him as a footballer, then it is also understandable why LJ is sounding a bit excited. Without trying to compare Bakinson with any other as I've not seen or heard of him before, perhaps Karl Robinson felt the same when he saw Dele Ali at 16.

But if he has that sort of potential, why haven't the big Premier clubs been in the hunt?

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Luton could have been "talking him down" and "trying to hold him back" for good reasons. Just trying to keep his feet on the ground and ensure that he continues learning/improving without too much attention to distract him?

If there is something a bit special in him as a footballer, then it is also understandable why LJ is sounding a bit excited. Without trying to compare Bakinson with any other as I've not seen or heard of him before, perhaps Karl Robinson felt the same when he saw Dele Ali at 16.

But if he has that sort of potential, why haven't the big Premier clubs been in the hunt?

Because they had no chance of competing with us to get his signature? 

17 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Watch the interview? Rather than just leaping to negative conclusions based on his own prejudice? Good luck with that.

Haha true.

Well for avoidance of doubt to anyone else reading - 7.38 into the video in this link

The quote in question so he's not misquoted 

"Tareeq is one we've been tracking for a long time. Very very exciting player for me. He's got a somewhere in-between a Marvin Elliot or Patrick Viera style.. he's athletic, tall, can handle the ball.. he's got loads of physical maturation left in him; which is exciting because we can work with him in all areas of his game."

LJ did mention everything said in the above posts....but he did also say, that he also had physical capabilities to grow....and he kept repeating that development football is nothing like men's football as he put it.

They obviously see all the natural capabilities, technical capabilities, and the potential to grow, become stronger etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him developed a little here, then loaned out.

It's a pattern that's developing at this Club.

Develop then loan out.

The difference in U23's footy and League (Men's) football, is massive. Especially jumping up into the Championship. For a footballer...it's probably the toughest physical League in the World. Consider how many leagues there are in the world. It's considered the toughest by the Pros. When you have the likes of a lump and experienced Pro like Pisano in a crumpled heap in the changing room repeating 'so fast, it's so fast'...then it drives this home.

I really do feel, some of our fans haven't grasped exactly how difficult this league is. The toughest physically in the world.

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

I heard Lee say it's not cheap. And Nathan Jones at Luton said a very good offer. He also said it helps the club move forward.  So it had to be a sizeable fee.

Be under no illusions. Luton were absolutely desperate to keep this lad. But he refused to sign a new contract; and him and his family indicated that they wanted to go.

Bakinson is very highly rated at Luton and was the man of the match in the recent checkatrade game against spurs  u23s that Luton won on pens.

A lot of Lutons youngsters get snapped up in the past by the likes of Norwich and Chelsea. We have of course taken a chance on him developing as everyone hopes he will, but I think like Hinds it was a risk worth taking.

Giving an 18 year old with no league experience a 4 year contract is also a major indication of belief, and was probably done to ward off other suitors as well.

I'm yet to be convinced that LJ's judgement on these things can be trusted. He's spent a relatively large amount on young players. None of them has really made an impact on the first team so far.

We don't seem to have a head scout as many have pointed out. LJ himself keeps dropping hints about the good young players he brought through at Barnsley that went for big money. I somehow doubt that was down to him. They were also all first team regulars - none of ours are yet.

Hope this guy turns out to be mint. Hinds does look promising but only had a few cup appearances to go by. I like the strategy but would be happier if recruitment was guided by someone with proven ability for talent spotting.

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm yet to be convinced that LJ's judgement on these things can be trusted. He's spent a relatively large amount on young players. None of them has really made an impact on the first team so far.

We don't seem to have a head scout as many have pointed out. LJ himself keeps dropping hints about the good young players he brought through at Barnsley that went for big money. I somehow doubt that was down to him. They were also all first team regulars - none of ours are yet.

Hope this guy turns out to be mint. Hinds does look promising but only had a few cup appearances to go by. I like the strategy but would be happier if recruitment was guided by someone with proven ability for talent spotting.

Bobby Reid is only just now making an impact on the first team after how many years? There's a great many people other than LJ involved in identifying and procuring these players. 

25 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Brownhill has made an impact since he joined

Tammy made an impact last year I'd say....

Magnússon looked good until Bailey Wright came in

O'Dowda has performed well in flashes and has been around the first team since he joined

Hinds has made an impact in the cup this year

Reid has come on leaps and bounds since LJ came in

To say none of the young players LJ has bought in have made an impact is a very weird statement to make imo

14 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bobby Reid is only just now making an impact on the first team after how many years? There's a great many people other than LJ involved in identifying and procuring these players. 

How we chuckled last season when LJ said he could be a £5m player.......turns out he did know what he was talking about!

29 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

LJ 'talent spotted' a player (with next to no experience of men's football) who became the second highest scorer in the league

Archived