IGNORED

Tyreeq Bakinson

Silvio Dante

13 hours ago, Super said:

Sure the same kind of praise was labelled at Jordan Wynter

Now ripping it up for Woking.

i don't know why he never progressed, but from the little I saw of him, there was real talent there.

Guess talent counts for jackshit without application.

13 hours ago, Super said:

Sure the same kind of praise was labelled at Jordan Wynter

Was a strange one - came highly rated from Arsenal and we used him in lots of promotional material ahead of that season which indicates to me we thought he'd be a regular player.

From memory he didn't appear to have any attitude problems (like Blackman or Levi Ives) so I wonder what went wrong..

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was a strange one - came highly rated from Arsenal and we used him in lots of promotional material ahead of that season which indicates to me we thought he'd be a regular player.

From memory he didn't appear to have any attitude problems (like Blackman or Levi Ives) so I wonder what went wrong..

Blackman and Ives, we never heard the full stories on them, very strange two

23 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Agree that they need to be given a few years to develop but scatter gun I don't believe. These players seem to be scouted  for a very long time before we sign them 

You may well have identified another problem - the poor scouting. If players have been scouted for a long time, more of them should be pushing for a regular first team place. Obviously some will fall into the "one for the future category" but it was obvious that last season we needed a few who were good enough now. We didn't have them and consequently nearly got relegated. I've tried to summarise  what the recent signings contributed last season. I don't expect people to agree, but however you shuffle it around, there won't be too many payers who fall into the "those who looked good in the majority of matches they payed" category

Players who didn't contribute much / anything last season

Adam Matthews - Failure, but why?

Diego De Girolamo - LJ said the only reason he couldn't get into the team was because Tomlin was playing so well.  When Tomlin's form dropped he still didn't get into the team and is now on loan at Chesterfield

Callum O'Dowda - Poor performances led to be him being dropped and didn't make many starts until the end of the season

Ivan Lucic - One for the future, but not now?

Taylor Moore - Was in the first team squad at the start of the season and made a few starts, then LJ seemed to lose faith in him.  On loan at Bury last season and now at Cheltenham. 

Gustav Engval - Everything that can be said has been said, but he obviously, for whatever reason, didn't contribute anything 

Joel Ekstrand - Possibly worth a punt but it didn't come off

Jens Hegeler - Not quite good enough to be a central defender and not quite good enough to be a midfield payer at Championship level.  A bit too slow

Fabian Giefer - The sort of goalkeeper who gives his defenders nightmares

Plus numerous young players who are in the development squad and are "ones for the future"

The in between players

Lee Tomin - LJ didn't quite know where or how to play him in the team or how to manage him, so why was he signed?

Hörður Magnússon - Was a regular first team player for half a season, but then out of favour and could be sold /loaned during the next window

Jamie Paterson - Good beginning to the season and good end but not too much in the middle

Matty Taylor - Not many goals but his assists helped secure a few points.  Only £300K.

David Cotterill - Started well then faded, but a useful loan signing

Gary O'Neil - Started well but form never really came back after he was injured

Josh Brownhill - Good in some matches but inconsistent as might be expected for a young player.

Those who looked good in the majority of matches they payed.

Bailey Wright - Very consistent defender

Tammy Abraham - What is there to say?

Milan Đjurić - Looked useful and might be a success if he stays fit

•  

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You may well have identified another problem - the poor scouting. If players have been scouted for a long time, more of them should be pushing for a regular first team place. Obviously some will fall into the "one for the future category" but it was obvious that last season we needed a few who were good enough now. We didn't have them and consequently nearly got relegated. I've tried to summarise  what the recent signings contributed last season. I don't expect people to agree, but however you shuffle it around, there won't be too many payers who fall into the "those who looked good in the majority of matches they payed" category

Players who didn't contribute much / anything last season

Adam Matthews - Failure, but why?

Diego De Girolamo - LJ said the only reason he couldn't get into the team was because Tomlin was playing so well.  When Tomlin's form dropped he still didn't get into the team and is now on loan at Chesterfield

Callum O'Dowda - Poor performances led to be him being dropped and didn't make many starts until the end of the season

Ivan Lucic - One for the future, but not now?

Taylor Moore - Was in the first team squad at the start of the season and made a few starts, then LJ seemed to lose faith in him.  On loan at Bury last season and now at Cheltenham. 

Gustav Engval - Everything that can be said has been said, but he obviously, for whatever reason, didn't contribute anything 

Joel Ekstrand - Possibly worth a punt but it didn't come off

Jens Hegeler - Not quite good enough to be a central defender and not quite good enough to be a midfield payer at Championship level.  A bit too slow

Fabian Giefer - The sort of goalkeeper who gives his defenders nightmares

Plus numerous young players who are in the development squad and are "ones for the future"

The in between players

Lee Tomin - LJ didn't quite know where or how to play him in the team or how to manage him, so why was he signed?

Hörður Magnússon - Was a regular first team player for half a season, but then out of favour and could be sold /loaned during the next window

Jamie Paterson - Good beginning to the season and good end but not too much in the middle

Matty Taylor - Not many goals but his assists helped secure a few points.  Only £300K.

David Cotterill - Started well then faded, but a useful loan signing

Gary O'Neil - Started well but form never really came back after he was injured

Josh Brownhill - Good in some matches but inconsistent as might be expected for a young player.

Those who looked good in the majority of matches they payed.

Bailey Wright - Very consistent defender

Tammy Abraham - What is there to say?

Milan Đjurić - Looked useful and might be a success if he stays fit

•  

Some of those failures and inbetweens are (delberately?) harsh.

Giefer is a very good goalkeeper, but one that couldnt have been scouted for a long time because he had been injured for almost 18 months before joining with very serious injuries.

We were only able to get him on loan because of said injuries, and they pretty clearly had effected him.

He didnt perform as hoped, but not because he is a crap player.

Lucic- why is he now not one for the future? He is 21-22. How many goalkeepers are the first choice at that point in their career? (I can name one off the top of my head)

He was namechecked by LJ in a recent interview I believe, as one that is still one to keep an eye on.

Patterson you have given as good for 2/3 of the season "good at beginning and end, not middle" (paraphrased)

Sounds pretty decent to me, can be improved on, but still decent.

Taylor, 7(?) assists and 2 goals in less than half a season of starts. That is "in between"? Christ

Tomlin was stated to be a bit of an exception, he was signed to carry on what he did on loan.

His personal issues were the problem.

Brownhill has been good most games, having a player so hardworking in front of Little helped with our improved defensive record after he came into the side.

Ekstrand again, transfer didnt work out. But because of his injury issues, not down to poor scouting.

We knew he had a problem with injuries so had him on trial for a few weeks. He seemed to be over the injury, turned out he wasnt.

What can the scouting team do about that?

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Taylor, 7(?) assists and 2 goals in less than half a season of starts. That is "in between"? Christ

Five actually, plus 2 goals in 15 games, with neither of them in his last 12, seems a fair summing up to me.

On 02/09/2017 at 00:47, joe jordans teeth said:

You are well off piste and heading for the beach,he could hardly get in the Luton side so he's hardly going to rock up here and get a few games 

Liam Rosenior springs to mind. In and out of the team here, but went on to play in the premier league consistently 

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Some of those failures and inbetweens are (delberately?) harsh.

Giefer is a very good goalkeeper, but one that couldnt have been scouted for a long time because he had been injured for almost 18 months before joining with very serious injuries.

We were only able to get him on loan because of said injuries, and they pretty clearly had effected him.

He didnt perform as hoped, but not because he is a crap player.

Lucic- why is he now not one for the future? He is 21-22. How many goalkeepers are the first choice at that point in their career? (I can name one off the top of my head)

He was namechecked by LJ in a recent interview I believe, as one that is still one to keep an eye on.

Patterson you have given as good for 2/3 of the season "good at beginning and end, not middle" (paraphrased)

Sounds pretty decent to me, can be improved on, but still decent.

Tomlin was stated to be a bit of an exception, he was signed to carry on what he did on loan.

His personal issues were the problem.

Brownhill has been good most games, having a player so hardworking in front of Little helped with our improved defensive record after he came into the side.

Ekstrand again, transfer didnt work out. But because of his injury issues, not down to poor scouting.

We knew he had a problem with injuries so had him on trial for a few weeks. He seemed to be over the injury, turned out he wasnt.

What can the scouting team do about that?

With Patterson I didnt say he was good for the first and last thirds of the season. His poor ish spell in the middle was approx half of the season. For Taylor, see reply from @GrahamC. As for what can the scouting team do about things? Well they could identify players who would improve the team. The facts speak for themselves. City have been fighting relegation for the last two seasons, and at the end of both seasons only finished 3 points above the bottom 6. There was one excellent player who saved City from relegation last season - Tammy. 

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

With Patterson I didnt say he was good for the first and last thirds of the season. His poor ish spell in the middle was approx half of the season. For Taylor, see reply from @GrahamC. As for what can the scouting team do about things? Well they could identify players who would improve the team. The facts speak for themselves. City have been fighting relegation for the last two seasons, and at the end of both seasons only finished 3 points above the bottom 6. There was one excellent player who saved City from relegation last season - Tammy. 

The question was about what the scouting team could have done about Ekstrands injury coming back, despite him having a lengthy trial and extensive medical prior to signing, given his injury record.

My response to Graham C still applies. A goal (contribution) every other game is only good enough to be "mixed"?

Applying the same logic then Tammy also was a mixed signing.

Where did MT get his second goal? 1 according to TM.

His contribution ratio is decent, but extroplate that across a season and for a striker the goals column isn't good enough.  But stats can be used either way.

I just can't see him being anything other than bit-part, unless we get injuries and suspensions.

IMG_1143.PNG

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Where did MT get his second goal? 1 according to TM.

His contribution ratio is decent, but extroplate that across a season and for a striker the goals column isn't good enough.  But stats can be used either way.

I just can't see him being anything other than bit-part, unless we get injuries and suspensions.

IMG_1143.PNG

Was it not Leeds away?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Says Djurić.....from memory wasn't there a scramble, but Djurić deemed to have already put the ball over the line before MT put it in beyond doubt?

He kicked it over the line from about a foot out, Đurić's header was going in, but he got a faint touch, so it was his.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

The question was about what the scouting team could have done about Ekstrands injury coming back, despite him having a lengthy trial and extensive medical prior to signing, given his injury record.

My response to Graham C still applies. A goal (contribution) every other game is only good enough to be "mixed"?

Applying the same logic then Tammy also was a mixed signing.

Suppose it depends how you value a player who has so far gone 12 league games without a goal.

Assists are all well and good, but unless your strike parter actually is Tammy, personally I think you would struggle.

Look at Diedhiou, one in 5 league games so far, pair him with a player with none in 12 and see how many we score.

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Suppose it depends how you value a player who has so far gone 12 league games without a goal.

Assists are all well and good, but unless your strike parter actually is Tammy, personally I think you would struggle.

Look at Diedhiou, one in 5 league games so far, pair him with a player with none in 12 and see how many we score.

Ask reid, he had none in 12 and got paired with Fam,

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Like Bobby Reid?

Archived