IGNORED

Malaysian investors interested in City?

Inactive user

My take is that SL could be persuaded if the terms we're right and say his reduced 65% stake (picking a figure out of the air) becomes worth more than his current 100% share because we end up in the Premier League as a result of investment.  Seems sensible to me.

BTW, not a wind up, hence just asking if anyone had heard anything.  It's probably all piffle but who knows.

Agreed. Probably is a load of piffle, but I wouldn't throw the idea out without deeper consideration. Some foreign owners (we all know who they are) have been notorious but other clubs like Southampton have benefited from foreign money, as (currently) are Liverpool. Don't see too many Man City fans complaining either. If the rumour is true, it's "Jury out" for me til I know more 

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Agreed. Probably is a load of piffle, but I wouldn't throw the idea out without deeper consideration. Some foreign owners (we all know who they are) have been notorious but other clubs like Southampton have benefited from foreign money, as (currently) are Liverpool. Don't see too many Man City fans complaining either. If the rumour is true, it's "Jury out" for me til I know more 

A lot of Liverpool fans are deeply unhappy with the owners up there. 

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Not for a minute am I saying that this rumour is true, but there is difference between ownership and investment.

I'm sure SL would welcome investment without rescinding the ownership or even a part of it - he'd be mad not to (if its the "right" sort of investment of course).

Investors generally want a return on their investment. In terms of many overseas investors in lower level football clubs the aim is to get to the promised land and then sell at a profit. FFP prevents much more investment on the playing side, and SL's decision to recruit a fairly inexperienced coach, plus the player recruitment policy indicates a longer term strategy which i'm not sure would be attractive to what could only be a minority stakeholder.

Then you have the rugby/BS set up so any investor would I presume have to invest in the whole of BS ?

Of course SL could simply flog the stadium, get back his investment and a new owner recoup over a longer period - 5% pa return on £50m  split between the football and rugby clubs based upon matchday revenue ? Might mean City paying about £1.5m next season if the rugby club gets promoted.

The rent could be fixed security of tenure established and SL could then continue to bankroll the club .

• Admin
13 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

Did anyone else hear anything about the possible Malaysian investors tonight?

Apparently it's a group who already have sporting interests in other clubs.  Not sure if this would be a good thing or not but perhaps it's a sign of intent to push on and make a real bid to get to the Premier League.

Interesting news @Rednwhiterob, someone completely unconnected with City mentioned something similar a few weeks back but it wasn't Malaysian investors

13 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No thanks. 

I would say I would be concerned about foreign investment of any kind, particularly because of that idiot over the bridge, BUT I would have to assume if it is someone "coming on board" to work with SL, it wouldn't get anyway near to happening unless the person was 100% solid as SL has put way too much time, money and effort into this club to let someone come in and ruin all that

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Investors generally want a return on their investment. In terms of many overseas investors in lower level football clubs the aim is to get to the promised land and then sell at a profit.

Unless it is someone who has a similar thinking and passion as SL does?

What would they be buying though? It can't be the stadium as that is solely owned by SL AFAIK? IF they were offering to buy a stake in BS, I could understand the logistics but wouldn't an outright takeover of the football club make us tenants at the Gate?

I just don't see it unless, as mentioned above, SL is selling some of his shares in return for hefty investment with SL retaining control.

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

That's not correct either. Ashton Gate Limited remains wholly owned by Bristol City Holdings of which SL is (indirectly) the largest - but not the only - shareholder.

Thanks fella. The point is the same though isn't it VFTD? We would, if sold entirely, be tenants at what was our own stadium? 

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Surely we're spending the max amount we can already in FFP rules so change of owner isn't going to mean an increase in investment, the only way it could move is down.

Not saying we would do anything similar but Man City get around things by their owner sponsoring them for an obscene amount of money. Your point is a good one though.

It all depends on the 'nature' of the investment......some foreign investments conducted in the 'proper' way can be very beneficial to a club. For gods sake don't just dismiss a potential opportunity to take this club forward before looking at the detail just because it's a 'foreign' investment. 

11 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Im sure that foreign investors could help if the deal was right.  A foreign takeover, no way.

However, nobody is ever going to make any money out of a football club, so the word investor is a bit of a misnomer

Equally, money alone does not always bring success.  Quite a few Champonship clubs have spent an awful lot and are still Championship clubs, yet how much have Huddersfield and Burnley spent?

People like Martin Edwards and Sir John Hall made tens of millions. Foreign owners involved in EPL clubs have made far larger sums via NFL franchises in America, they are not involved here due to altruism, they are asset strippers who have moved teams across states in the pursuit of cash   .. Being associated with a football club can make money by its status, it is beneficial in business .. 

17 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

People like Martin Edwards and Sir John Hall made tens of millions. Foreign owners involved in EPL clubs have made far larger sums via NFL franchises in America, they are not involved here due to altruism, they are asset strippers who have moved teams across states in the pursuit of cash   .. Being associated with a football club can make money by its status, it is beneficial in business.  Unless it's Rovers .. 

I've corrected it for you.

19 hours ago, m42 said:

NO THANKS AT 1000 Decibels.  If foreign investors become owners at Ashton Gate then I will seriously have to consider my position. I'm committed to a 180 mile round trip for home matches for a club I've supported for 60 years.  Bristol City is a proper Bristol club.  A magnificent stadium that brings tears to my eyes as I walk down from The Robins.  And currently a great squad of players.  The thought of it being owned by people who are just business focussed saddens me greatly. Mr Lansdown has some serious wealth. Perhaps he could consider a trust fund arrangement that would ensure that Bristol City remains in UK ownership.  What a legacy that would be.  

you and me pal , 260 mile trip and 58yrs only difference to you

The only thing that would make Steve Lansdown take an offer for the club would be if he was hounded out of Ashton Gate by a sustained supporters campaign.

Thankfully the ownership stupidity that exists in the Prem and Champ has afforded genuine City fans the chance to see the alternative to our owner. Many might disagree with his strategy, decisions, choice of 1st team coach etc but very few people question his integrity and commitment.

Some years ago (relegation with O'Driscoll or maybe before?) there were a growing number of very vocal critics who seemed determined to get SL out of the club. Around that time, I think he could have walked away or sold up.

Thankfully, we now have a redeveloped stadium and rightfully the Lansdown name is at the heart of it. I think he does want a genuine legacy that involves the mix of sports within the Bristol Sport wrapper. Maybe Jon Lansdown will take the reigns one day.

Current investment is affordable in as much as SL's paper earnings from Hargreaves Lansdown outstrip the BCFC and rugby losses. And even then he's still got more cash than most people could spend in a thousand lifetimes.

My view is that there is currently nobody in the world who could buy BCFC from him unless fan pressure made him question his ongoing involvement. But, even then, I don't think he would be happy walking away with a profit. Football has never been an investment for him. SL is clearly in it for the same buzz that the fans get when the team is winning. And that faraway dream of one day receiving parachute payments :rolleyes:

So, in my view, it's very unlikely that Malaysian investors would get a sniff. Thank goodness.

7 hours ago, Xiled said:

The only thing that would make Steve Lansdown take an offer for the club would be if he was hounded out of Ashton Gate by a sustained supporters campaign.

Thankfully the ownership stupidity that exists in the Prem and Champ has afforded genuine City fans the chance to see the alternative to our owner. Many might disagree with his strategy, decisions, choice of 1st team coach etc but very few people question his integrity and commitment.

Some years ago (relegation with O'Driscoll or maybe before?) there were a growing number of very vocal critics who seemed determined to get SL out of the club. Around that time, I think he could have walked away or sold up.

Thankfully, we now have a redeveloped stadium and rightfully the Lansdown name is at the heart of it. I think he does want a genuine legacy that involves the mix of sports within the Bristol Sport wrapper. Maybe Jon Lansdown will take the reigns one day.

Current investment is affordable in as much as SL's paper earnings from Hargreaves Lansdown outstrip the BCFC and rugby losses. And even then he's still got more cash than most people could spend in a thousand lifetimes.

My view is that there is currently nobody in the world who could buy BCFC from him unless fan pressure made him question his ongoing involvement. But, even then, I don't think he would be happy walking away with a profit. Football has never been an investment for him. SL is clearly in it for the same buzz that the fans get when the team is winning. And that faraway dream of one day receiving parachute payments :rolleyes:

So, in my view, it's very unlikely that Malaysian investors would get a sniff. Thank goodness.

Here's an alternative view.

When SL gets whatever it is he wants he'll sell up.

i don't buy the philanthropic benefactor line. I see him as an investor. Sport and his home town are the vehicles to get him whatever he wants.

He'll have an exit strategy that when reached he'll be off. Who knows what that is?

I also don't buy the line about the club not being laden with debt. It is. To the Bank of Lansdown.

I'm not saying I'm not appreciative of his investment and the improvements that have been made - just that I don't see him in the same way as many others seem to.

Discuss?

New outside major investment=maybe Premier League=higher ticket prices=tourism football (if a successful team in the Prem)=locals no longer able to afford going to all home games.

Not that I think greed has entered into the sport that I love.....at all.

Archived