IGNORED

Allow me to hold my hands up

petehinton

Great post @petehinton.

I've done it on Twitter already but let me invite the humble pie. Last season was poor and the reaction was justified but hand on heart I didn't think Lee Johnson would come back from it.

Today was not only the best performance of his tenure but one of the best I can ever remember. We went in 1-0 down but everyone was happy because we were playing so bloody well.

Derby are a good team and we made them look incredibly average. It was easily the most well coached performance I've seen from a City side for years. I say coached deliberately, I always think back to huge swashbuckling City performances like when we rolled Milwall over 4-1 on Boxing Day but this today was so much more than that, it was the work of a coach, the one touch passing the self belief the instinct. Sensational. Best thing is I don't actually think we hit top gear and we clearly have options now and competition.

Bobby Reid is a HUGE part of it, I'm already close to calling the 17 series Reid the best player I've ever seen play in a City shirt (if I were Arsenal I'd sell Sanchez and buy Reid) and his contribution is out of this world, but today was about a team and one that was fitter and more organised than I can remember in living memory.

Lee Johnson. I am prepared to be a believer again.

I had stopped going after Burton at home last season.  I was totally disillusioned with Johnson, didn't think he was the man.  Dragged myself to Reading last week and went today.  Very, very impressive in both games.  We have learnt how to manage a game at long last.  Players are street smart at long last.  Being cynical when needed, standing over the ball so quick free kicks cannot be taken.  And to top it all, playing some fantastic football (admittedly I've only seen two games).  Perhaps I was wrong about LJ - time will tell.  But, I must admit, there are serious signs of improvement and for that he must get the credit. 

6 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I had stopped going after Burton at home last season.  I was totally disillusioned with Johnson, didn't think he was the man.  Dragged myself to Reading last week and went today.  Very, very impressive in both games.  We have learnt how to manage a game at long last.  Players are street smart at long last.  Being cynical when needed, standing over the ball so quick free kicks cannot be taken.  And to top it all, playing some fantastic football (admittedly I've only seen two games).  Perhaps I was wrong about LJ - time will tell.  But, I must admit, there are serious signs of improvement and for that he must get the credit. 

Ironic user name then. 

I think the big problem on here is that people are too quick to form their opinions, and when they do they feel they can't change. First opinions / gut feelings are fine, but it's also fine to review these too  

Even in my spell of becoming more and more dubious of LJ I always stood by the fact that if he learned from his mistakes (with the odd admission of his mistakes too) then I'd be pleased, because ultimately it would mean we were progressing. 

Im much happier at the mo', he does seem to have learned, even if I do cringe at his over-coached comment, he's not really criticising himself is he!!

looks like I missed a cracking performance yesterday. Looking forward to knocking Stoke out on Tuesday. 

We can't get TOO carried away as let's not forget we started well last season as well.

BUT, we are a young team: some of the players who gave the Derby star names a footballing lesson yesterday are still probably 5 years or more from the peak of their careers - and improving all the time.

Like them, Johnson's learning as he goes along: a comparatively young manager learning the ropes.  One thing he's always had going for him is his brain. He makes mistakes, but he can learn from them. Yesterday, he got pretty much every call right.

Archived