IGNORED

last night's crowd/lack of crowd

Littlesh*t

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Look at the figures in KITR's post and then ask the same question to fans of Palace, Villa, Burnley and Boro....all 'bigger' clubs than us.

We weren't playing Man Utd or Chelsea last night. The attendance was pretty good especially compared to others.

Wolves didn't have a bad turn out, but that was because it was the Sags "Cup Final"

will people stop calling it a micky mouse or tin pot cup. Maybe if you are a high flying premiership club just maybe it is more a distraction then a serious focus but for the rest of us it a great opportunity to play cup rounds and test the depth of our squad and who knows.... just maybe the end gold pot of Wembley (or should I say wenberley??).

Personally think attendance was good last night a judging by the queue for tickets there were a lot of POTD who turned up.

2 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

that's fine but do you not think it's sad that fans think one of the biggest cups isn't important? 

also what were the prices at these other games?

I think last night was a perfect opportunity to show Lansdown that if he gets the pricing correct we will pack the gate. I'm a big supporter of the 20 is plenty campaign

One of the biggest cups and to certain degree the FA cup has been made less important by the premier league clubs who generally play reserve/youth teams especially in the early rounds, even we made 9 changes from what is considered our starting 11.

To be honest almost 14k for a 3rd round tie against one of the lesser premiership lights I believe is encouraging, I was expecting below 10k.

3 minutes ago, hantsred said:

will people stop calling it a micky mouse or tin pot cup. Maybe if you are a high flying premiership club just maybe it is more a distraction then a serious focus but for the rest of us it a great opportunity to play cup rounds and test the depth of our squad and who knows.... just maybe the end gold pot of Wembley (or should I say wenberley??).

Personally think attendance was good last night a judging by the queue for tickets there were a lot of POTD who turned up.

Wait and see how "tinpot" it is if we get a big club in the next round.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

in deed, the champions league lost all meaning to me when 2nd, 3rd and 4th places got a spot,

there shouldn't be a qualifying phase, all euro leagues champions should qualify automatically,  it may mean TNS vs Arsenal but so be it, the money tose lesser clubs would make would strengthern their respective leagues which in the long term would be better for football as a whole.

No, it was lovely for the champions of Norway etc when they automatically got in, but they are just not as worthy as the second teams in Spain, Italy etc.

One of my earliest memories is of Revie's Leeds beating Lynn Oslo 16-0 on aggregate. Fun, but pointless.

2 hours ago, hantsred said:

Its true. What a bit of silverware that would be for us the league cup.. would be massive.

5 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I will start by saying those who attended last night i thought we created a very good atmosphere.

now to my main point, I couldn't believe how poor the attendance was last night. people always moan about the price of football but last night was more than reasonable against any team let alone premiership opposition. 

people always bang on about us being a sleeping giant and how we take 40,000 to wemberly but we can't get over 20,000 for a premier league side at only £12 a ticket. 

I know some struggle with evening games because of work and other commitments but there are also a lot who must have just decided they couldn't be bothered. I get people can't go every week because of money and other things but surely if our fan base and catchment area is as big as a lot of people make out then we should have had a much higher attendance than last night. 

I couldn't come because I live in London and couldn't get time off work. I don't have much holiday left till the end of March so can't keep taking random days off, I'm afraid. Don't forget we have our FA Cup run to come too! I've got to save up for the Wembley trip(s)…:city: 

4 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I'm guessing you haven't read the whole post? 

i wasn't saying make it lower last night, I was saying because it was cheap last night it was a good opportunity to show that more fans would turn up if normal prices were slightly cheaper. like I say 20 is plenty

If you look at attendances in the football league, across the country, crowds at midweek games tend to be a little lower than weekend games. Many reasons for this, including things like away followings are smaller because of taking time off work (even with varied working hours nowadays) and some people might not take under 12s on a school night, not when a cup tie might go on until past 10pm with extra time and penalties.

The cheap games last season were all on the weekend, I think, and very well attended, the exception being Hull in the league cup. Unfashionable PL opposition like last night but a 16,100 crowd with fewer visiting fans than Stoke brought, because it was half-term. I myself took two under 16s to that Hull game, and none last night.

Also, the closest comparison to our fixture last night - Championship club v unfashionable Prem team - Reading v Swansea attracted 8,700 punters. So, we did alright compared to Reading, not that that's much to shout about.

I think cheaper tickets will attract more interest for some fixtures, but not all.

6 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I stand by the fact that I believe our crowd was poor in relation to the pricing the same as I think it was poor across the country. 

So if comparitively speaking, our crowd was better compared to other same sized or generally better supported clubs operating similar pricing regimes , then how could it be poor?

The fact you cannot give two shits what everyone else gets doesn't stack up im afraid. The "market evidence" clearly shows that attendances across the country are well below par for this stage of the leagie cup when compared to league attendances.

I expect the club itself was delighted with a crowd of such size.

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

If you look at attendances in the football league, across the country, crowds at midweek games tend to be a little lower than weekend games. Many reasons for this, including things like away followings are smaller because of taking time off work (even with varied working hours nowadays) and some people might not take under 12s on a school night, not when a cup tie might go on until past 10pm with extra time and penalties.

I think cheaper tickets will attract more interest for some fixtures, but not all.

Absolutely Jack. Also a  lot of City fans actually live outside of Bristol itself and travelling in and out on a midweek evening isn't worth the hassle for many.

Archived