IGNORED

Ratings (Merged)

The Nest Egg

Fielding- 7. Had very little to do, although I was very pleasantly surprised to see that his kicking had improved to the flanks. Didn't have much to do himself today

Flint-7.5. Weird goal to score that I don't think Aden really knew about, but he was solid and reacted to Bolton's dark arts by getting a bit kicky himself. Cleared Madine's header off the line when it was looking like one that was awkward for Frankie to get

Baker-7. I very rarely see him during the game, which shows how good he is at mopping everything up. No errors (at least none that I saw) but didn't have the most difficult of opposition to deal with.

Wright-7.5. Pleasantly surprised with his on-the-ball skills, and although he isn't a permanent solution at RB it's good to know that he could step in when needed. 

Bryan-8. Damn, I don't know what Jamie Mac made the canteen staff add to Joe's Weetabix but it's made him into a hell of a tackler. Busts a lung regularly and had some impressive forward runs. Really happy with how he is progressing

Pack-5. Not a good game from Marlon today, his sideways passes were landing but the long balls didn't work and his free kick distribution was very poor. He seemed to be very close to Smith for much of the game and this resulted in some basic misplaced passes. Yellow carded and now already has 5 after 11 games, meaning he is suspended for the next game. 

Smith-6. Was initially very unimpressed with him, he misplaced passes which gave me Vietnam War flashbacks on that fateful night against Brighton when Sidwell scored. He got better after half time and covered more ground. Was unafraid to stick his foot in and make it difficult for the Brighton orcs.

O'Dowda-7. I am a frequent critic of Callum but he played well today. He is getting more comfortable on the right, but I still feel he is one dimensional in the position. Bolton eventually sussed that he would cut in each time, but when he got past the first few defenders  he would usually go on a nice run. Note however that whenever he drifted onto the left flank he looked a much more complete player.

Paterson-6.5. Yes, he provided the assist but in general Pato was wasteful and could have done better against a flagging Bolton side. Had a tendency to overcomplicate and drift away too much, although to be fair to him on another day this would have worked for him excellently.

Reid-8. Didn't score and had a few opportunities, but I've decided to give him an 8 as some of his touches and clever passes were sublime. He could have squared it to Flint for a tap in but to be fair the ball was bouncing away at an awkward height. Had some of his through balls been finished, they would have been seen as incredible assists.

Diedhiou-7. Still clumsy in places, but scored again and is getting better at holding up the ball. Bolton really focused their little nicks and elbows on Fammy but he did his best to shrug them off. I liked how he would always rainbow flick or lift the ball over the Bolton defenders as it was really getting to them!

SUBS

Taylor- Didn't have the time to do anything

Eliasson- 6. He got bullied off the ball a bit, but near the end did some decent deliveries

Woodrow- Didn't have the time to do anything

(where 6 = a decent performance)

Frankie - 6 - Very little to do so hard to give him anything but a 6.

Wright - 7 - Another more than competent display at RB.

Flint - 8 - Solid defensive display, including getting one off the line whilst it was 1-0, then deflects in that all important 2nd.

Baker - 8 - Very imposing defending.

Bryan - 8 - Very sure footed, looks a real quality LB this season.

Pack - 6 - Saw a lot of the ball, but too slow in releasing it.

Korey - 6 - Busy, but a little casual at times esp. in 1st half.

Pato - 6 - Got into a couple of good early positions, but very poor crosses. Did redeem himself with cross for 1st goal and played better 2nd half.

Fammy - 6 - Somewhat anonymous until sliding in for first goal, won plenty of free kicks in second half holding up the ball.

Reid - 7 - Chased a lot down, had a couple of half-chances, decent movement again.

COD - 6 - Given MoM, but for me somewhat stunted on RHS as cannot beat his man and cross from flank on that side. Switched to LHS and contributed to 1st goal from there, did work hard.

SUBS: 

Eliasson - 7 - Looked dangerous, nice whipped in corners and crosses. Bought a really good save after cutting in.

Taylor - 7 - Only on for 12 mins, but typically found space and made chances.

Woodrow - 5 - Only on for 12 mins but did not show up at all in contrast to Taylor.

Overall, a largely frustrating performance, but the all important 3 points in the bag and another clean sheet.

I saw it a bit differently but think most are fair

FF- 6

BW- 7

Flint- 8

Baker- 8 lost out aerially but made Madine know he was there and allowed AF to sweep up. 

JB- 8 he's making a habit of these 8+ games

COD- 7.5 still in two minds it seems when it comes to making decisions. Think part of that was playing on the right. Always available though, rarely gives it away, some good cross field switches and drew the fouls he always does. When he does add a few goals and assists he'll be gone quick. 

Pack- 5 settled a bit second half but did he have a mare of a first half. Maybe because he's been on the bench more often than not but wasn't too sharp today. Still got faith in him but today not great

Smith- 6.5 Don't think either of Smith or Pack were too troubled today but they didn't dominate like I thought they could. Had a few sloppy moments which I think could've cost us against better opposition but did like seeing him take up more advanced positions. I know it isn't his strong points but need the option sometimes. 

Pato- 6 Was always going to be tough against Bolton and Pato did what he normally does. Got the assist I think and was a good outlet for us but just lacked a bit of cutting edge tonight I thought. Rivalled Kodjia with offsides tonight. 

BR- 7 worked hard as ever. Got in behind a few times and just made it uncomfortable for Bolton. Thought it was a good performance

FD- 6.5 kind of like pato. Got the goal but thought he could've done more in the game. His hold up play still not great for me. Just needs to be able to hold it an extra second or two to bring people into play. A few times he held it a bit but then lost it just as we were getting bodies around him. Didn't complain though and worked hard and did win a few free kicks. Just lacking some of the finer details to become a top striker

4 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Bit generous there,  especially with Reid who wasn’t involved in the game as he usually is. I’d spread a few more 6’s as that’s an adaquet rating and give Bryan MOM

No idea how Fammy got MOM.

5 minutes ago, BarnzFM said:

Bit generous there,  especially with Reid who wasn’t involved in the game as he usually is. I’d spread a few more 6’s as that’s an adaquet rating and give Bryan MOM

I gave Reid that rating as had the other players been on the same wavelength, he would have got some fantastic assists. Never tiring, no such thing as a lost cause. I felt he formed the linking pin of many of the plays and this enabled Pato and O'Dowda to switch flanks regularly. It should be noted that many of these ratings are based on second half performances as the first half was so boring once we started playing properly I was just happy to see us take the game to them! 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Joe Bryan was far and away the best City player tonight. He was up and down the left side all game. He was top class and was certainly MoM in my view.

I agree- he was fantastic. I really hope he can continue it this season, as we had a bit of a false dawn last season and then he ended up mostly poor. His decision making seems to have improved and he no longer seems like a soft touch- he bullies attackers and isn't afraid to chop them down either

8 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

O'Dowda was my MOTM - he was always creative and despite not always delivering an end product, I thought he really gave the team energy, in one of Bobby's quieter games.

I'm a big fan of his but I do wish C O'D would play on the left.  Rather than beating players cutting in field and ultimately getting nowhere, he should be beating them to get to the byline.  Then either a cross in the air for Fammy, a ball across the six yard box, or a cut back to the edge of a box would be more productive.

If he cuts in from the right he should be prepared to shoot more often. 

10 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Fielding- 7. Had very little to do, although I was very pleasantly surprised to see that his kicking had improved to the flanks. Didn't have much to do himself today

Flint-7.5. Weird goal to score that I don't think Aden really knew about, but he was solid and reacted to Bolton's dark arts by getting a bit kicky himself. Cleared Madine's header off the line when it was looking like one that was awkward for Frankie to get

Baker-7. I very rarely see him during the game, which shows how good he is at mopping everything up. No errors (at least none that I saw) but didn't have the most difficult of opposition to deal with.

Wright-7.5. Pleasantly surprised with his on-the-ball skills, and although he isn't a permanent solution at RB it's good to know that he could step in when needed. 

Bryan-8. Damn, I don't know what Jamie Mac made the canteen staff add to Joe's Weetabix but it's made him into a hell of a tackler. Busts a lung regularly and had some impressive forward runs. Really happy with how he is progressing

Pack-5. Not a good game from Marlon today, his sideways passes were landing but the long balls didn't work and his free kick distribution was very poor. He seemed to be very close to Smith for much of the game and this resulted in some basic misplaced passes. Yellow carded and now already has 5 after 11 games, meaning he is suspended for the next game. 

Smith-6. Was initially very unimpressed with him, he misplaced passes which gave me Vietnam War flashbacks on that fateful night against Brighton when Sidwell scored. He got better after half time and covered more ground. Was unafraid to stick his foot in and make it difficult for the Brighton orcs.

O'Dowda-7. I am a frequent critic of Callum but he played well today. He is getting more comfortable on the right, but I still feel he is one dimensional in the position. Bolton eventually sussed that he would cut in each time, but when he got past the first few defenders  he would usually go on a nice run. Note however that whenever he drifted onto the left flank he looked a much more complete player.

Paterson-6.5. Yes, he provided the assist but in general Pato was wasteful and could have done better against a flagging Bolton side. Had a tendency to overcomplicate and drift away too much, although to be fair to him on another day this would have worked for him excellently.

Reid-8. Didn't score and had a few opportunities, but I've decided to give him an 8 as some of his touches and clever passes were sublime. He could have squared it to Flint for a tap in but to be fair the ball was bouncing away at an awkward height. Had some of his through balls been finished, they would have been seen as incredible assists.

Diedhiou-7. Still clumsy in places, but scored again and is getting better at holding up the ball. Bolton really focused their little nicks and elbows on Fammy but he did his best to shrug them off. I liked how he would always rainbow flick or lift the ball over the Bolton defenders as it was really getting to them!

SUBS

Taylor- Didn't have the time to do anything

Eliasson- 6. He got bullied off the ball a bit, but near the end did some decent deliveries

Woodrow- Didn't have the time to do anything

5 for pack? I thought he was a 6 or 7 to be honest, busy in the middle linked up well with the wing and good breaking up of play

44 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

I'm a big fan of his but I do wish C O'D would play on the left.  Rather than beating players cutting in field and ultimately getting nowhere, he should be beating them to get to the byline.  Then either a cross in the air for Fammy, a ball across the six yard box, or a cut back to the edge of a box would be more productive.

If he cuts in from the right he should be prepared to shoot more often. 

Just never seems to be any end product to his game, a headless chicken at times. Much rather see him on the left like you said.

43 minutes ago, Super said:

Just never seems to be any end product to his game, a headless chicken at times. Much rather see him on the left like you said.

I would definitely persevere with him.  He certainly can keep the ball and when we are under the cosh he gains ground and usually wins a foul.  His end product will come.

Oddly, despite what I said about C O'D I'd like Eliasson on the right.  When he cuts inside it's usually ends in a shot.  The difference seems to be Eliasson does it further up the pitch round the edge of the box.

24 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

I would definitely persevere with him.  He certainly can keep the ball and when we are under the cosh he gains ground and usually wins a foul.  His end product will come.

Oddly, despite what I said about C O'D I'd like Eliasson on the right.  When he cuts inside it's usually ends in a shot.  The difference seems to be Eliasson does it further up the pitch round the edge of the box.

I would too. Not sure I would have him as a regular starter but do think he has a promising future ahead.

Archived