IGNORED

Ipswich

cheshire_red

On 27/09/2017 at 03:17, Up The City! said:

You are reminding me of what we were like at this exact same stage last season.

I see above you tip yourselves to win? If I'm honest I had you down as relegation favourites at the start of the season and despite your current position I would still consider you to be in danger.

I've just had a quick look at your results for this season and I cant believe that when you compare ours and yours you fancy yourselves to win? Sorry mate but I think were gonna smash your hopes and dreams to pieces at the weekend.

Just saw that your a part of a very select group, very few teams have lost to Palace this season and your one of them, that says it all about what you should be expecting this season.

Don't get me wrong, enjoy where you are for now but just remain realistic and consider your in a pretty false position right now.

One thing I guarantee you is you haven't played a team like us yet this season and it will be interesting to see how you handle playing against better opposition than you have done so far.

If you get a result against us then I will start to take you seriously.

IMG_0202.JPG

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Last win at Portman Road - 23 Sept 1978 - Ipswich Town 0 Bristol City 1....

Didn't go to that one, but did attend the 1-0 defeat there in the April of the previous season, so just a few months before.

City lost 1-0 and it was memorable for being Ipswich's last home game before facing (and beating) Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Hence we exited the ground to flags being waved all around Portman Road and Bobby Robson on the pitch lapping up the enthusiastic send off from the fans.

This game looks a certainty for a 1-0 win to me, which could really go either way.

I'm watching the Ipswich situation with interest, as Mick received absolute shocking abuse last season, and you would have staked your house that he would've been sacked during the summer.

Their immediate turn around so far is impressive, but will it last for the Tractor Boys?  I see them dropping off and finishing about 12th in the table - will their fans support Mick then, or still clamour for his dismissal?

I feel we'll be evenly matched on the weekend, and it will be a tough game, as it always is.  If I was Lee Johnson, I would be approaching this game in a very positive mind-set and aiming for a win, as we have to try to keep our momentum going.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Psychology might play a part but I think chance is a huge part of it. But chance might create the psychology. 

Logically with any team a similar size to you, you would expect to win, draw or lose a relatively similar number of times. But it is a bit like tossing a coin. If you toss a coin 50 times in a row you might expect 25 heads and 25 tails but, because each toss is separate, there is a 50:50 chance each time. You have as much chance of 50 heads in a row as you do getting HTHTHTHTHTHTHT etc....

Similarly, there will be teams similar sized to us who, for reasons of chance, we always happen to play in a bad patch of form or have bad luck on the day or whatever it is...

However it could then be that once a team have, by chance, failed to win somewhere ten years in a row and the players, manager and fans become aware of that, a psychological element could creep in. 

To test out your theory I've been tossing here in France .

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

This game looks a certainty for a 1-0 win to me, which could really go either way.

I'm watching the Ipswich situation with interest, as Mick received absolute shocking abuse last season, and you would have staked your house that he would've been sacked during the summer.

Their immediate turn around so far is impressive, but will it last for the Tractor Boys?  I see them dropping off and finishing about 12th in the table - will their fans support Mick then, or still clamour for his dismissal?

I feel we'll be evenly matched on the weekend, and it will be a tough game, as it always is.  If I was Lee Johnson, I would be approaching this game in a very positive mind-set and aiming for a win, as we have to try to keep our momentum going.

I think LJ always goes for the win .

Our game management is one of the most impressive advances that we've made this year , all credit to the coaching team.

We don't go gung ho anymore and our lads show intelligence and purpose in their play . 

It's great being a City fan these days .

:clapping:

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Assuming he sticks with the philosophy of attacking games and producing performances like Tuesday, then yes our fans would support Mick if we inevitably finished mid table. What really sent the fans away was that he insisted on matching the opposition team (even those at the bottom), making sure we didn't lose, rather than play our own game and look to win. With the signings we've made (thanks to Evans opening his wallet slightly) and the change in approach, we've looked much better. MM admitted that he hadn't looked at Sunderland's previous games before Tuesday.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, EssexTractor said:

What really sent the fans away was that he insisted on matching the opposition team (even those at the bottom), making sure we didn't lose, rather than play our own game and look to win. 

Sounds very much our problem from last season

10 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Didn't go to that one, but did attend the 1-0 defeat there in the April of the previous season, so just a few months before.

City lost 1-0 and it was memorable for being Ipswich's last home game before facing (and beating) Arsenal in the F.A. Cup Final.

Hence we exited the ground to flags being waved all around Portman Road and Bobby Robson on the pitch lapping up the enthusiastic send off from the fans.

That was one helluva side that Ipswich had back then, and a great manager too...

On 27/09/2017 at 03:17, Up The City! said:

You are reminding me of what we were like at this exact same stage last season.

I see above you tip yourselves to win? If I'm honest I had you down as relegation favourites at the start of the season and despite your current position I would still consider you to be in danger.

I've just had a quick look at your results for this season and I cant believe that when you compare ours and yours you fancy yourselves to win? Sorry mate but I think were gonna smash your hopes and dreams to pieces at the weekend.

Just saw that your a part of a very select group, very few teams have lost to Palace this season and your one of them, that says it all about what you should be expecting this season.

Don't get me wrong, enjoy where you are for now but just remain realistic and consider your in a pretty false position right now.

One thing I guarantee you is you haven't played a team like us yet this season and it will be interesting to see how you handle playing against better opposition than you have done so far.

If you get a result against us then I will start to take you seriously.

Please don't start with the delusions of grandeur it's embarrassing you're acting like a gas head . Sorry that was a low blow :laughcont: but still , we're much improved and a lot more solid but could easily come unstuck Saturday. Interesting to see how we compare with them . 

On 27/09/2017 at 13:34, EssexTractor said:

I've only signed up as a few of your mention we lost to Palace. Yes we did, but before making assumptions, please take a look at our team and tell me how many of our team you have heard of. 5 made the first senior appearance.

Stats are pointless. We had 70% plus possession at points in the second half last night, but sat back after their second goal and the possession stats dropped. Stats don't show the true picture of a game

It was one poster who's basically been shot down by everyone else for getting carried away . 

On 9/27/2017 at 13:27, Top Robin said:

I don't know whats the matter with you lot!

Surely we are now at a level where we should be saying that we can win that one.

We are near the top of the table, haven't lost in 8 and have beaten prem sides on the way.

For gods sake start backing the team!........I'm sure the players recon they can win each game.

Agree, now if we were the Blades some might believe. This will be a test, but they must fear us.

Loving your forum by the way, some really good posts and interesting/sensible posters.

For what it's worth I think we'll just about scrape a victory tomorrow.  A lot of people (including bookies) are underestimating us this season, justifiably as we were awful last year, but we have really kicked on, and Mick's a decent manager really.  Sunderland fans were aghast last week that they'd been pummeled by a 'shit' team like Ipswich but didn't realise we haven't played like this for a long while.

After sixteen years in this league, it may just be our season.

10 minutes ago, ITFC1963 said:

Loving your forum by the way, some really good posts and interesting/sensible posters.

For what it's worth I think we'll just about scrape a victory tomorrow.  A lot of people (including bookies) are underestimating us this season, justifiably as we were awful last year, but we have really kicked on, and Mick's a decent manager really.  Sunderland fans were aghast last week that they'd been pummeled by a 'shit' team like Ipswich but didn't realise we haven't played like this for a long while.

I agree. You are favourites in this match, please make all your players aware that you fully expect to turn us over.   :laugh: And get on their backs if you don't score early. Pleeease  :laugh:

13 minutes ago, ITFC1963 said:

ITFC - Welcome to the forum. I agree the odds for this match are probably the wrong way round.  Should be an interesting and competitive match. 

I'm driving up (and across!) for the match tomorrow. Any tips on parking for away fans? Thanks

16 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

ITFC - Welcome to the forum. I agree the odds for this match are probably the wrong way round.  Should be an interesting and competitive match. 

I'm driving up (and across!) for the match tomorrow. Any tips on parking for away fans? Thanks

Unfortunately not as I live 300 miles away now and rarely get down there!  I don't think it's the worst ground in the worst for parking though.

24 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

We park in the train station car park by Sir Bobby Robson bridge. £3 depending how early you get there!

From the train station, head over the bridge and at the traffic lights, go left (can only go left!) and then keep left (keep the Court on the right). You'll see the car park on the just up there on the left.

Although, if you come up the a12, follow the signs for the ground (you'll go passed a holiday inn on the left) and you'll come to traffic lights with Sainsbury's on the left. At the second set of lights, there's a Burger King on the right. Turn down there and keep going until you see the car park!

Safe journey up!

1 hour ago, ITFC1963 said:

Or ours !

1 hour ago, ITFC1963 said:

You've played ' shit ' for a long time  ? 

1 hour ago, EssexTractor said:

We park in the train station car park by Sir Bobby Robson bridge. £3 depending how early you get there!

From the train station, head over the bridge and at the traffic lights, go left (can only go left!) and then keep left (keep the Court on the right). You'll see the car park on the just up there on the left.

Although, if you come up the a12, follow the signs for the ground (you'll go passed a holiday inn on the left) and you'll come to traffic lights with Sainsbury's on the left. At the second set of lights, there's a Burger King on the right. Turn down there and keep going until you see the car park!

Safe journey up!

Much appreciated 

Nov 10th, 2007.. same as me. Awful result. 

On 9/27/2017 at 15:49, Ian M said:

The only time I have seen City at Portman Road.

Don't worry, I'm keeping away Saturday.

There were just over 22,000 at Portman Road for that match and a very decent City away following. They will have nothing like that attendance today. We were 1 down on 5 minutes thanks to a Jon Walters goal which hit the back of the net as soon as i got to my seat slightly late for kick off. 2-0 down on 15 with a David Wright goal and the cacophony of noise was so demoralising. But City dug in for the rest of the half thankfully only to utterly capitulate early in the second just when we all thought right, now the fight back. 3-0 on 48 minutes with a Tommy Miller penalty.. Bradley Orr was it who brought down Walters? He was sent off for that. Down to 10 and 3 down.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. Jon Walters again on 55 and the trickle started to become a real steady flow of leavers. I had a long drive back to London to contemplate, let alone the brave souls going to Bristol, but I paid my money and I stayed hoping for one goal. It never came. 5-0 on 65 minutes by Pablo Counago and Walters got his hattrick after 72 minutes to make it a really humiliating 6-0 thrashing. City were totally outclassed. 

I want vengeance today. Bury the ghost of that nightmare City because Johnson and McAllister played that day and they must have it on their conscience. 

City started the match in 4th and Ipswich in 6th. They have must have wondered how on earth we were above them in the table; I sincerely hope we feel the same about them at 5pm today.

Lee Trundle, by the way, was an unused sub with Byfield and Sproule up front.

Archived