IGNORED

Lee Johnson dividing opinion on SWFC's Owlstalk

fishpondsred

Wednesday fans are considering the future if Carlos Carvalhal is sacked and Johnson's name is cropping up as an option that some fans would want. A new thread advocating Johnson has begun - he seems to be dividing opinion. Interesting to see how they view him. As someone who watches Wednesday due to the allegiance of my eldest son (we lived in Sheffield for many years) the pace and agility that Johnson has brought to City is certainly missing from the present Wednesday team, despite the quality of many of their players. If City continue to improve it is perhaps inevitable that others might take an interest in him. 

LJ sees Bristol City as "his" club and  last season he was concerned that SL would have no choice but to sack him  in view of that dire run of results and that he would have been devastated had that happened. He said as much at Senior Reds recently.

Even if another Championship club came in for him I seriously doubt that he'd leave City. He knows he has the full support of SL and leaving would be letting him down.

Nice to see tho that other clubs are putting him in the frame tho. 

You only have to look at all the coaching staff at Wednesday, to realise it's not just a case of removing the manager. They are all Portuguese.

Any new coach/manager coming in, would need a miracle to change things dramatically in a season. It would need a whole bunch of time and transition for any new coach long term.

They'd be better off sticking with what they have for the time being imo.

I don't think any manager is completely loyal  (and nor should they be - they know they'll get sacked if results go against them so why not take opportunities when things go well? ) but the fact we proved the exception to sacking a struggling manager last season - coupled with the fact he feels he has unfinished business at City, has a good relationship with the Chairman and is being supported to impose his own vision on the club - make me think it would take a Hell of a tempting offer for him to go anywhere, and I don't reckon that will be Wednesday.

I also think - although obviously I don't watch their games - Wednesday would be fools to make a change at the moment given their manager has taken them from mid-table to consistent play-off challenges. Losing to Sheffield United will have hurt and they have started slowly but they are within 5 points of the play-offs and things can easily turn around.

Their opponents last night show exactly what can happen when clubs decide the grass is greener on the other side. I'm not sure who the opposite candidate is to replace him - and it might well be Karanka, who also has a tendency towards negative football and play-off misses so I cannot really see what makes him an improvement. 

1 hour ago, fishpondsred said:

Wednesday fans are considering the future if Carlos Carvalhal is sacked and Johnson's name is cropping up as an option that some fans would want. A new thread advocating Johnson has begun - he seems to be dividing opinion. Interesting to see how they view him. As someone who watches Wednesday due to the allegiance of my eldest son (we lived in Sheffield for many years) the pace and agility that Johnson has brought to City is certainly missing from the present Wednesday team, despite the quality of many of their players. If City continue to improve it is perhaps inevitable that others might take an interest in him. 

I’d doubt LJ would leave, as we have regularly heard over the last year or so, Bristol City is his club & he has been given a the opportunity to do something that no one else has managed for nigh on 40 years, he also seems to have everything he could ever want here, his own staff & players, financial backing in the transfer market & with regards to his off field wishes. And he has all the support any head coach could possibly want & need, especially from his own bosses.

What could Sheffield Wednesday seriously offer him that he hasn’t already got here? Maybe a little bit more spending? And maybe an increase in his personal financial terms? But that being said, SL could certainly entertain the idea on matching or bettering most other offers from another Championship club & SL has proved that he is willing to back LJ both financially & supportively!

How many other clubs would have given LJ or any other manager / head coach the support & backing that LJ had, especially during last season’s disastrous spell? We are a club massively on the up, the whole infrastructure of the club is improving & growing, who else in The Championship can match that?

I could understand LJ maybe wanting to go if a Premier League club came knocking, especially if he felt that there was no chance of him getting us there but I wouldn’t of thought he was at that position just yet.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

You only have to look at all the coaching staff at Wednesday, to realise it's not just a case of removing the manager. They are all Portuguese.

Any new coach/manager coming in, would need a miracle to change things dramatically in a season. It would need a whole bunch of time and transition for any new coach long term.

They'd be better off sticking with what they have for the time being imo.

I think any clubs answer is to get someone in with an affiliation with that club, someone who has a personal reason to want to succeed & not just a financial reason!

It’s certainly helped us & Sheffield Utd (Chris Wilder) & enables the clubs to rebuild from the bottom up but that also needs the club owners to be willing to go about their business that way instead of expecting instant success, which rarely happens & it’s unlikely you’d get that from the foreign owners who are in the game for the financial rewards (or seemingly so).

15 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I think any clubs answer is to get someone in with an affiliation with that club, someone who has a personal reason to want to succeed & not just a financial reason!

It’s certainly helped us & Sheffield Utd (Chris Wilder) & enables the clubs to rebuild from the bottom up but that also needs the club owners to be willing to go about their business that way instead of expecting instant success, which rarely happens & it’s unlikely you’d get that from the foreign owners who are in the game for the financial rewards (or seemingly so).

Trying to think who that is in Wednesday's case.

Nigel Pearson played for them but has just got a new job. John Sheridan just got sacked at Oldham but the fact he got sacked at Oldham doesn't bode well, Megson tried and failed, Di Canio's stock is low, Waddle has proved he is no manager. Is there actually any former Wednesday player (or Wednesday fan) doing well in management?

I look at the owners of the two Sheffield clubs and it fears me with dread if it ever happened here.

For all the mistakes in the past...I draw comfort from knowing we have an owner and coach that actually care.

They will make mistakes, like we all do in life, but I'd much rather have that, than what so many other Clubs have....foreign owners with no real affiliation or understanding of the local populous.

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Nigel Pearson played for them but has just got a new job. John Sheridan just got sacked at Oldham but the fact he got sacked at Oldham doesn't bode well, Megson tried and failed, Di Canio's stock is low, Waddle has proved he is no manager. Is there actually any former Wednesday player (or Wednesday fan) doing well in management?

A question for @Owl Visiting to answer on his next visit perhaps.

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t actually know of anyone off the top of my head but was Wilder considered big enough & good enough to go to Utd? Then Wednesday also have the issue of a foreign owner who seems intent on instant success for the financial rewards!

Don’t get me wrong, ex-players / fans don’t always offer instant success (Osman, Rosenior & Tinnion) but they are more likely to be interested in getting involved in a “project” at a club they have some form of infinity with.

23 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t actually know of anyone off the top of my head but was Wilder considered big enough & good enough to go to Utd? Then Wednesday also have the issue of a foreign owner who seems intent on instant success for the financial rewards!

Don’t get me wrong, ex-players / fans don’t always offer instant success (Osman, Rosenior & Tinnion) but they are more likely to be interested in getting involved in a “project” at a club they have some form of infinity with.

My gut instinct is that Sheff Utd, are doing what we did when we went up under GJ first season.

Taken em 6 years to get out of League 1. Plus 6 managers in 5 years is never going to work. They should have stuck with Nigel Clough imo....let him built.

I can't see Sheff Utd going up or being top 6 come the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

My gut instinct is that Sheff Utd, are doing what we did when we went up under GJ first season.

Taken em 6 years to get out of League 1. Plus 6 managers in 5 years is never going to work. They should have stuck with Nigel Clough imo....let him built.

Maybe, or certainly maybe they were doing that, but Wilder is a good appointment and I can see him stablising the team in the Championship. Obviously they need to stick with him and let him build. I think much of the issue with GJ is he did well on the pitch but didn't seem to be one for long-term planning or developing the youth team and facilities and this got overlooked. If Sheffield United can ensure someone is getting the infrastructure right whilst Wilder gets it right on the pitch I think they will do well in this division for a few years. 

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

..... I think Karanka would be a good choice but currently favourite for brum. 

Why would any club want a Bond villain as manager?... specially one who, prefers playing Solitaire over team Bonding and doesn't cope well with inflation...  Employ Dr Kananga as your Mr Big at your peril...  ;) 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Maybe, or certainly maybe they were doing that, but Wilder is a good appointment and I can see him stablising the team in the Championship. Obviously they need to stick with him and let him build. I think much of the issue with GJ is he did well on the pitch but didn't seem to be one for long-term planning or developing the youth team and facilities and this got overlooked. If Sheffield United can ensure someone is getting the infrastructure right whilst Wilder gets it right on the pitch I think they will do well in this division for a few years. 

True...However, GJ had an owner that was willing to throw plenty of money at short term success....hoping to get to the Prem and go from there.

GJ must have thought he'd won the lottery in management terms.

It's only until recent years, that we've actually understood that you have to build foundations, put an infrastructure in place, and have the right people in place to run a football club.

I've had the pleasure to speak to various City managers over the years about their time here. Without going into details too much, the overriding theme was how appalled they were at how amateurish we were in our 'set up'. It wasn't really until we had Coppell that the penny dropped. After that there was some planning shall we say....and a view to changing things. SoD was brought in to do that....and it's slowly snowballed from there.

What we have in place now, 'behind the scenes' is miles away from anything we had under GJ.

And yes, we are still playing catch up.

When talking to some City fans, I get the impression they have no idea of how badly we used to be run.

Without SL ploughing money in when he did and was allowed too, out set up was no better than the Gas tbh.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

But I think they’ve realised that the sacking culture way of doing things, weren’t getting them anywhere. Getting someone in who is willing to rebuild from the bottom up & is unlikely to want to walk away at the first sign of another offer, is a massive plus but it also needs an owner who is willing to rebuild from the bottom up & not someone who expects an instant return on someone else’s ****-ups & cost building over the previous 5 years or so.

As you’ve said, those kind of owners seem to be very few & far between, the majority of club owners now think the answer is to just throw millions of pounds on top of the millions that previous managers have already spent & that’ll solve the problem, irrespective of their wage bill becoming astronomical & the club getting stuck with unwanted players who are happy to just pick up their wages for doing nothing.

Both LJ & Wilder have had to ship out the deadwood & get the finances back into shape while maintaining a certain level of performance before being allowed to progress the club evidently on the pitch, how many other clubs could they leave for & get the same level of control? Not many I would suggest?!?

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

True...However, GJ had an owner that was willing to throw plenty of money at short term success....hoping to get to the Prem and go from there.

GJ must have thought he'd won the lottery in management terms.

It's only until recent years, that we've actually understood that you have to build foundations, put an infrastructure in place, and have the right people in place to run a football club.

I've had the pleasure to speak to various City managers over the years about their time here. Without going into details too much, the overriding theme was how appalled they were at how amateurish we were in our 'set up'. It wasn't really until we had Coppell that the penny dropped. After that there was some planning shall we say....and a view to changing things. SoD was brought in to do that....and it's slowly snowballed from there.

What we have in place now, 'behind the scenes' is miles away from anything we had under GJ.

And yes, we are still playing catch up.

When talking to some City fans, I get the impression they have no idea of how badly we used to be run.

Without SL ploughing money in when he did and was allowed too, out set up was no better than the Gas tbh.

I certainly find that plausible and it ties in what I suspected. Thinking all the way back to 2000, we had Danny Wilson who was fairly old school then Tinnion where City was the only club he had worked at for a decade and then Gary Johnson who, whilst the 'Conference Manager' tag was cruel and harsh, had nonetheless cut his teeth managing Yeovil, a club that were rapidly professionalising and had a set up a world away from a second-tier club. I find it easy to believe that the whole revolution in sports science, coaching, diet and development pretty much passed us by.

As an aside, I remember managing City on football management games around 2010/2011 and being surprised by how few coaches and scouts we had compared to other clubs and - whilst a game is a simulation rather than reality - how poorly the coaches and scouts we did have were rated. I suspect it was not a million miles from the truth...

16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think GJ’s platform was built on the blueprint of the Bolton design from when they first made it to The Premier League, sign older players who have played at that level but required very little in the way of an initial outlay in the form of transfer fees just to consolidate at that level, the problem GJ had was that the team got better results than expected & all of a sudden expectations had risen significantly & there was no time to try & build from the bottom up because once we looked like we were becoming promotion candidates by the January & having made the play-off final, expectations had risen & everything had to be concentrated on the first team to try & keep us up there although it was done years before anyone could of possibly expected.

11 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I think GJ’s platform was built on the blueprint of the Bolton design from when they first made it to The Premier League, sign older players who have played at that level but required very little in the way of an initial outlay in the form of transfer fees just to consolidate at that level, the problem GJ had was that the team got better results than expected & all of a sudden expectations had risen significantly & there was no time to try & build from the bottom up because once we looked like we were becoming promotion candidates by the January & having made the play-off final, expectations had risen & everything had to be concentrated on the first team to try & keep us up there although it was done years before anyone could of possibly expected.

I think that's true. If we play our cards right then a couple of years simply establishing ourselves and keeping our heads above water could work wonders for us. We've got a team of players where several of them who could plausibly be sold on for profit in the future,  young players coming through the ranks and a chance to build. In a way I think both the most impressive and damning thing about our play-off season is that it was pretty much as good as it got for every single player at the club. 

Honestly I'd be gutted if he left City. He's not the best coach but he's dedicated to getting us up to a top level. I'm confident LJ could take us quite high and hope if he was offered something he'd show loyalty to us as we did to him. Of course to a certain point. He very irritated if he went to a championship club or lower premier league club. I wouldn't begrudge him if a Southampton or similar team came in for him though. Not saying likely but he's got age and being English going for him. Of young English managers it's Eddie Howe then LJ would be in the conversation for best after him I'd think. 

Interesting that Bolton, GJ and 'sports science, coaching, diet and development'....are mentioned in the last couple posts.

Big Sam is a very forward thinking coach, and was one of the first in this country to use technology and 'outside the box' thinking, and new methods of coaching, teaching philosophy.

So many see him as being a dinosaur....they couldn't be further from the truth.

What he had instilled at Bolton was far removed from what we had under GJ. We may have bought older players, but Big Sams were well scouted.

Another forum member BBSB will tell you all about Big Sam.

Archived