IGNORED

Credit to Lansdown

citywest30

It's great reading all the positivity at the moment. Not just from posters who last season wanted LJ to succeed but even those who it seemed like there was nothing he could do to win them round.

I think we can all agree that there is pretty much no one who could have argued with him being sacked at a number of times last season (I know there were times that I thought 'He's gonna have to go for things to improve' even though I didn't really want him to) which makes Lansdown's loyalty to him even more incredible. He truly believed in his man and that sure is bearing fruit now. Many would have caved into the calls to sack him but he stood firm and must feel so so happy he did at the moment.

It's too early to get carried away but I completely agree with the sentiments in @Port Said Red 's thread that this just feels different than last season's start. We seemed to be in a false position last with performances not really mirroring results but this year we are fully deserving of our results and I feel quite confident now of at least a top half finish. 

Great decision SL. He deserves so much credit for sticking to his guns. We are extremely lucky to have an owner like him compared to some of the car crash clubs out there.

I hope this works out for Lansdown and I mean that in a sincere, caring way.

He's ploughed his own furrow over all these years and has never really had the success I believe he dreams about. It's just been a long trudge in amongst a load of other clubs with no where near the resource of our club. He must have sat there each season and just wondered what on earth he had to do to bring success.

I wondered if this is the most content he's felt in his 15 years in charge?

Surely this month was a real tester for the squad - 4 tough away games and they have come through in tremendous style. For me we need only look upwards this season and that is the reward I am sure SL will savour for a brave but well considered decision to back his man.

10 minutes ago, megansdad said:

Surely this month was a real tester for the squad - 4 tough away games and they have come through in tremendous style. For me we need only look upwards this season and that is the reward I am sure SL will savour for a brave but well considered decision to back his man.

I can`t have been alone when the fixtures came out and I looked at September :shocking:

We`d be lucky to get five points was my first thought - we got 14 from 18 which exceeds my wildest dreams so yes, onwards and upwards.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I can`t have been alone when the fixtures came out and I looked at September :shocking:

We`d be lucky to get five points was my first thought - we got 14 from 18 which exceeds my wildest dreams so yes, onwards and upwards.

It truly is remarkable and regardless of whether the wheels fall off, it is a credit to Johnson for creating a team that play this. 

28 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Its not just what we have done its the way we have done it, we have defended strongly and played through very good teams.

I see our biggest problem now is when teams turn up to defend when we expect a win, the games against Millwall and Bolton were probably our hardest faught points and we will need ways to break this type of game down and increasing patients as more teams look to defend against us. What an excellent problem to have after the last couple of seasons.

28 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Its not just what we have done its the way we have done it, we have defended strongly and played through very good teams.

I see our biggest problem now is when teams turn up to defend when we expect a win, the games against Millwall and Bolton were probably our hardest faught points and we will need ways to break this type of game down and increasing patients as more teams look to defend against us. What an excellent problem to have after the last couple of seasons.

Re having to break teams, agreed - a result of our growing reputation and number of goals scored.

"Johnson and Lansdown are ruining my club" I think was one titled post with a lot of agreeing comments if I recall correctly. .....

We all want success , believe it or not, but it takes patience and time and thank the Lord the leaders of our club understand this even if some, and it is only some, of our supporters do not.....

Our time is coming brothers. .....everything is pulling in the right direction, .....sit back, relax and enjoy....

SL was this week talking about how proud he is of the youth programme and the amount of Bristolians in or near the squad. He is very excited by Lloyd Kelly. He really does have our football club, and the whole of Bristol in his heart. I know a lot of people don't like Bristol Sport but I love the fact that he is trying to put Bristol on the map as a sporting city, whilst giving back through the community. He is a great combination of heart and head. Yes he is a winner and wants regular PL football, but I think there are many other goals as well that he has the City. There is one small camp site that is excluded, but apart from that everyone should be very happy with his vision for Bristol.

I'm glad I never jumped on the johnson out bandwagon, though i didnt publicly back him either so no smugness here - I'm just happy to see us stick by a manager for once and I think of the managers weve had over the last 10 years he's the best one to show patience with.

Let's hope this form continues!

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

We're BCFC not the NHS!!!

:whistle:

8 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

Let's get a song going for Steve l

with out him where would we be 

This! If ever a club owner deserved recognition as part of the squad, SL is that man. 

For his loyalty, generousity & vision to be acknowledged from the stands, would be a very appropriate "thank you" 

12 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

Let's get a song going for Steve l

with out him where would we be 

9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'm glad I never jumped on the johnson out bandwagon, though i didnt publicly back him either so no smugness here - I'm just happy to see us stick by a manager for once and I think of the managers weve had over the last 10 years he's the best one to show patience with.

With or without you u2

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I see our biggest problem now is when teams turn up to defend when we expect a win, the games against Millwall and Bolton were probably our hardest faught points and we will need ways to break this type of game down and increasing patients as more teams look to defend against us. What an excellent problem to have after the last couple of seasons

True.  Durjic is gonna be key.  We will have go long and fight for knock downs and he's probably the best I've seen at winning headers.  With Eliasson and Paterson we also have decent supply from the wings.

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

True.  Durjic is gonna be key.  We will have go long and fight for knock downs and he's probably the best I've seen at winning headers.  With Eliasson and Paterson we also have decent supply from the wings.

I think this is the plan as well. I assume this will mean dropping Bobby which will be hard decision politically because if it doesnt work the questions are obvious. It will be interesting to see if it works well enough.

• Admin

One of the damning statistics we used during last season was LJ overseeing a prolonged run of 3 wins in 25.

In determining what the form has been since, the last two games of that 25 game run often get overlapped into both runs (2 draws) so this next statistic can either be out of 24 or 26 games depending on your mood.

4 defeats in 24 / 26 games

or

14 wins in 24 / 26 games

For me, if the two draws are included in the first run to extend the "low win" run they shouldn't be included in the second run. Going from 3 wins in 25 to 14 wins in 24 is the sort of stuff I'd expect to be covered in the New Testament!

(win the Burton game and its 15 wins in 25 and a 60% win rate!)

With so many owners from other countries or not even from the area of the club that they own, we are so lucky to have a local owner who supports the club above and beyond the call of duty.

It will not last forever but while Steve is the owner we are in safe hands.

3 hours ago, Ian M said:

One of the damning statistics we used during last season was LJ overseeing a prolonged run of 3 wins in 25.

In determining what the form has been since, the last two games of that 25 game run often get overlapped into both runs (2 draws) so this next statistic can either be out of 24 or 26 games depending on your mood.

4 defeats in 24 / 26 games

or

14 wins in 24 / 26 games

For me, if the two draws are included in the first run to extend the "low win" run they shouldn't be included in the second run. Going from 3 wins in 25 to 14 wins in 24 is the sort of stuff I'd expect to be covered in the New Testament!

(win the Burton game and its 15 wins in 25 and a 60% win rate!)

Very interesting stats and I don't think anybody could have predicted such a turn around. Without wanting to apportion blame, out of interest, where does the exit of JP tie in with those runs?

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Pretty much how I felt. Did feel the need to defend him once it became obvious he was being backed but could never have really argued against a decision to sack him.

8 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

does the exit of JP tie in with those runs?

I was thinking this exact same thing. It's clear JP and LJ had issues. 

But I would like to spin it a positive manner as I think JP deserves the respect he is due and say it's more likely the appointment of Jamie Mac.

The instant turn around and the consistency of results stunning.

2 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I was thinking this exact same thing. It's clear JP and LJ had issues. 

But I would like to spin it a positive manner as I think JP deserves the respect he is due and say it's more likely the appointment of Jamie Mac.

The instant turn around and the consistency of results stunning.

Agree. Didn't mean it as in it could be his fault but it seems like it led to a change in working dynamics that has been much more successful. 

3 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

Agree. Didn't mean it as in it could be his fault but it seems like it led to a change in working dynamics that has been much more successful. 

100%. Management have to all buy in and pull in the same direction in order to be successful. I certainly questioned the timing of the switch. It must of been a tough decision to make. 

I wonder the amount of unrest caused by Tomlin and a clash it caused between LJ and JP was ultimately his downfall. 

But to bring in Jamie Mac was a masterstroke and results bear that out. Probaly not enough credit given to LJ on that one.

Stevo

I'm truly amazed.  I gave Lee a lot longer than most before calling for his head to roll last season, but even my tolerance ran out eventually.

You could see from the first game against Barnsley that something had changed.  At first, we thought it may be a flash in the pan, but as time has gone on, it is clear that it is more than that.

SL stood up for his manager and whilst most of us thought he was wrong at the time have to now eat humble pie.

Enjoying the season so far much more than I can remember for a long time.

3 hours ago, foghornred said:

With so many owners from other countries or not even from the area of the club that they own, we are so lucky to have a local owner who supports the club above and beyond the call of duty.

It will not last forever but while Steve is the owner we are in safe hands.

My thoughts too. To have an owner who is both very wealthy and a genuine fan of the club is a blessing.

I wonder if, when he was growing up, Vincent Tan even knew where Cardiff was?  Sure he's having good times with them now, but these foreign owners are often very quick to jump ship when the going gets tough.

5 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

We are looking strong all over the pitch at present. I just hope that when we have a poor run of results (as all teams do at some stage) people remember these games and don't start throwing their toys out of the pram again.

We all know the ones , or one especially that will raise their ugly head if we do lose a couple on the bounce. It'll happen. its how we react that counts

Archived