IGNORED

Johnson could be poached!!

Top Robin

Joking aside, I think LJ could be tempted but not for quite a while. I think he has a genuine love for this club & his connections with SL & family would make things very touchy indeed. In saying that, everyone has his price but I do believe LJ is a lot better person & manager than many of us gave credit, myself included.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

One of the funniest threads ever - " he might get poached" !! Really? 

He he has a lot to do before he will get poached by anyone!

Agree with most of this but with the amounts of overseas money being thrown around by wanna be owners nothing would surprise me.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Man City and Liverpool

In what role? I cannot believe it would be anywhere near the first team at either.

And if I am correct why would a young head coach leave a Championship club to join yes, a much bigger club, but in a much lower role.

Doesnt stack up at all for me.

LJ isn't stupid. He will know that if he takes a PL club and gets relegated that could be his one and only chance at the PL.

Wait for the right job. I believe (and reckon he also believes) that Bristol City is the ideal club for him at this moment in time - support from the board, a club he knows and a club who is willing to give him time to grow.

I'm not just saying this from biased point of view (although I am biased).

7 hours ago, joeyb said:

LJ isn't stupid. He will know that if he takes a PL club and gets relegated that could be his one and only chance at the PL.

Wait for the right job. I believe (and reckon he also believes) that Bristol City is the ideal club for him at this moment in time - support from the board, a club he knows and a club who is willing to give him time to grow.

I'm not just saying this from biased point of view (although I am biased).

But looking at mediocre 'journeyman' managers, once they get a job managing a prem side they seem to be able to get a job anywhere after.

10 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

In what role? I cannot believe it would be anywhere near the first team at either.

And if I am correct why would a young head coach leave a Championship club to join yes, a much bigger club, but in a much lower role.

Doesnt stack up at all for me.

Indeed....why would he want to leave, but it doesn't mean he won't get asked.

When you look at the amount of managers that are no longer in employment, it just goes to show that you can be a good manager, but if the fit at that club isn't right, then it can ruin your reputation and career.

You can have great success at some clubs, then absolute failure at others . Moyes is a great example of that. Does that make you a bad manager though?

Look at some of the managers we've had in the past....done amazing at previous clubs, yet failed here and elsewhere. SoD, Coppell are good examples. One now working for Wolves academy, the other managing in India.

Clubs allegedly do due diligence when choosing a manager/coach, however I'd suggest managers did the same with Clubs when applying to join.

Get it wrong and career over. Or find out early that you are a better Coach than Manager.

There are so many different factors as to what can bring you success...it's just finding the right balance.

Some managers surround themselves with a coaching team they like to work with...that can work, but also fail. Depends on the Club.

Get the balance right throughout the Club and you can succeed....

Most manager fail, because they aren't given the time to change things and get that balance right.

On 02/10/2017 at 14:24, Port Said Red said:

How many chairmen or boards out there are going to give him 3+ transfer windows to get the team right? Some of them struggle to give them 3 games. SL's approach is almost a blast from the past.

I see Steve Lansdown's  approach the same way Harry Dolman worked with Alan Dicks something very few clubs have done in the past. 

And like Alan Dicks, LJ is gathering a squad of young players who will hopefully emulate the likes of Merrick Collier Gow and Whitehead. To jump ship having started to build a squad for the future would, to me, seem very foolish. Of course if the history of last season were to repeat it's self I have no doubt SL wouldn't be so understanding.

But as others have said it's still early days, which means we can remain optimistic and see where the Johnson rollercoaster takes us.

5 minutes ago, numbeast said:

I see Steve Lansdown's  approach the same way Harry Dolman worked with Alan Dicks something very few clubs have done in the past. 

And like Alan Dicks, LJ is gathering a squad of young players who will hopefully emulate the likes of Merrick Collier Gow and Whitehead. To jump ship having started to build a squad for the future would, to me, seem very foolish. Of course if the history of last season were to repeat it's self I have no doubt SL wouldn't be so understanding.

But as others have said it's still early days, which means we can remain optimistic and see where the Johnson rollercoaster takes us.

I said as much several times during the dark times last year. In those days the discontent when we were struggling was confined to the terraces and the letter pages of the Green-un! 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I said as much several times during the dark times last year. In those days the discontent when we were struggling was confined to the terraces and the letter pages of the Green-un! 

The what?

Does this still exist?

I have so many memories of queuing up outside our local newsagents at, or just before, 18H00 to await the arrival of the Evening Post van, peering over the driver's shoulder to try and grab a glimpse of the headlines as he carried his bundles to the shop.

Never has a 5 minute walk back home taken 30 minutes, especially when City had a high-scoring win - quite rare, but certainly deserving of a slow stroll back home.

13 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not saying he's unsackable. I think he won't get us in a position where he deserves to be sacked. We look like a top championship side at the moment, with a young squad that are going to get even better. I think we will be comfortably upper half, possibly playoffs this season.  And then I expect we might improve again on that next year.

Apologies, when you said LJ has a 'job for life at City' I assumed you meant he was unsackable....who knows what lies ahead in the next few years? I really hope we are on the verge of something really special....but then again, Chelsea and Real Madrid have sacked managers who have won the champions league so no-one is unsackable I guess!

8 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Roy Hodgson, Tony Pulis, Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce, Ian Holloway,  Neil Warnock, Mick McCarthey..........

Only the first 3 still manage in the prem.

Tony Pulis and Mark Hughes are both good managers and have proven track records and never got relegated. Similar could be said of Hodgson.

If you get relegated then there are not many who get a second chance. Marco Silva now at Watford a slight anomaly as he nearly saved a sinking ship. Mark Hughes "failed" at Man City and will now never get such a high profile job in the prem unless he turns Stoke into a Side competing in Europe.

My point is essentially that you only tend to get one chance at a club of a certain level. Johnson should wait his time for the right job IMO.

Archived