IGNORED

Starting line up....

spudski

After last nights performance, and Leeds, and taking into consideration the injuries to Baker, Smith and Fammy....surely this is our most solid starting line up?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------steel/fielding-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pisano---------------------------------Flint---------------------------------------------------------Wright---------------------------------------Magners

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Pack---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Odowda-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan-----------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------Brownhill/Pato-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------Đurić----------------------------------------------Reid/Taylor----------------------------------------------------

Team for Sunderland:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Wright Bryan

Patterson Brownhill Pack O'Dowda

Đurić Taylor

Korey to replace Marlon when fit.

Bobby may be able to play alongside Milan - we shall see.

When Baker is fit, I am happy with any pairing from Flint, Baker and Wright at the back.

Seems like we are pretty much agreed, though Lee will adjust the side based on his gameplan, fitness and the type of threat Sunderland pose.

I too am not yet convinced by Fammy, Leko or Eliasson.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

After last nights performance, and Leeds, and taking into consideration the injuries to Baker, Smith and Fammy....surely this is our most solid starting line up?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------steel/fielding-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pisano---------------------------------Flint---------------------------------------------------------Wright---------------------------------------Magners

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------Pack---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------Odowda-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bryan-----------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------Brownhill/Pato-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------Đurić----------------------------------------------Reid/Taylor----------------------------------------------------

Don't think you can play 2 in goal. :cool2:

Personally, I'd just play Pisano* on his own and say to Sunderland "Try and get past eeeee"

*I'm a bit of a fan

I feel like Wright is so much more average on the left. Had a poor game imo last night. If he’s playing he has to be on the right side of the pitch. It won’t happen though as can’t realky drop Flint and he’s probably be worse than BW on the left. I’d go Wright/Flint and Mags personally. Mags looked assured last night especially at CB though they had given up by then. 

Fielding

Pisano Wright Mags Bryan

COD Pack Brownhill Pato

Reid Taylor

Steele, Milan, Eliasson, Leko, Flint, Kelly, Bakinson(no other CM fit)

• Admin

Personally think Taylor has to start up top with either Famara or Djuric, the team defends so much further up the pitch and lets our midfield more time on the ball

Yes the Bobby "experiment" worked up to now, but we look a greater threat with the others there - I wonder whether we could get Reid playing behind the front two?

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not sold on Magnússon as a left back really, I appreciate he needs a run of games but just doesn't seem to have the agility or awareness to play there. Definitely a downgrade on Bryan. Then again, I'm always telling people to judge players after a run of starts so should probably take my own advice. He's hardly had regular games. His long throw with Đurić is a real weapon though.

Other than that I like that team for the moment with the injuries. Some strong players to come back too - Smith, Baker.

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

Don't think you can put Mags up against McGeady at this point in time. Probably need to double up on him all afternoon as he's their biggest threat. Don't think Joe would double up too well?

34 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Team for Sunderland:

Fielding

Pisano Flint Wright Bryan

Patterson Brownhill Pack O'Dowda

Đurić Taylor

Korey to replace Marlon when fit.

Bobby may be able to play alongside Milan - we shall see.

When Baker is fit, I am happy with any pairing from Flint, Baker and Wright at the back.

Seems like we are pretty much agreed, though Lee will adjust the side based on his gameplan, fitness and the type of threat Sunderland pose.

I too am not yet convinced by Fammy, Leko or Eliasson.

Any?!! 

Baker first name on the team sheet for me, a level above Flint and Wright. 

3 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

The biggest dilemma is when Baker's fit. Can't see Johnson dropping our captain and Baker is a guaranteed starter. Will he drop Flint? And, would rather a natural RB playing RB. 

Would be a big call to drop Flint when all 3 are fit and firing. 

A far better situation than having no quality cover though.

55 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Bryan LB, Pato LM   happy with the rest though.

What he said. 

4 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

The biggest dilemma is when Baker's fit. Can't see Johnson dropping our captain and Baker is a guaranteed starter. Will he drop Flint? And, would rather a natural RB playing RB. 

Would be a big call to drop Flint when all 3 are fit and firing. 

I've been thinking that for a while. Pisano's injury made things easier for LJ as Wright slotted in, but when all fit???? Flint has been brilliant, Leeds showed how important Baker is and with Wright playing at RCB he has shown how good he can be. Glad I don't have to decide. I think Pisano and Bryan are nailed on if fit so perm 2 from 3, difficult. The option is a 3/5 at the back, both Pisano and Bryan can play WB but it limits width further up. 
Wouldn't be surprised to see something like

FF
        Wright-Flint-Baker
Pisano                           Bryan
       Brownhill-Pack-Pato
          Đurić - Reid

It's good we have options in formation, and types of player. Once we get them fit.

On the evidence of last night I would be amazed if Paterson started on Saturday.

It seemed very odd to me that he came on at all, at 4-1 up surely it was a good chance to give Vyner (or Eliasson) 20 minutes?

By the end he was really struggling and I noticed at the final whistle he was on his haunches for a couple of minutes, completely whacked.

Top player but that illness has clearly taken it right out of him and he may well miss out completely at Sunderland if we have the numbers.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

On the evidence of last night I would be amazed if Paterson started on Saturday.

It seemed very odd to me that he came on at all, at 4-1 up surely it was a good chance to give Vyner (or Eliasson) 20 minutes?

By the end he was really struggling and I noticed at the final whistle he was on his haunches for a couple of minutes, completely whacked.

Top player but that illness has clearly taken it right out of him and he may well miss out completely at Sunderland if we have the numbers.

Agreed. He was on a drop over the weekend so god knows how he managed to play. When he came on, I didn't even realise he was on the bench. And he did look rather thin. 

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

What he said. 

I've been thinking that for a while. Pisano's injury made things easier for LJ as Wright slotted in, but when all fit???? Flint has been brilliant, Leeds showed how important Baker is and with Wright playing at RCB he has shown how good he can be. Glad I don't have to decide. I think Pisano and Bryan are nailed on if fit so perm 2 from 3, difficult. The option is a 3/5 at the back, both Pisano and Bryan can play WB but it limits width further up. 
Wouldn't be surprised to see something like

FF
        Wright-Flint-Baker
Pisano                           Bryan
       Brownhill-Pack-Pato
          Đurić - Reid

It's good we have options in formation, and types of player. Once we get them fit.

I bloody hate 3-5-2. It may suit players like Bryan, but two things happen:

1. The 3 CBs just get in each others' way.

2. We get outnumbered in midfield.

Happened two season ago under Cotterill. Ok, we have better centre-backs now, but it's a massive risk. 

I can't see Johnson going with this either. One will have to be dropped. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yeah, I was surprised he was out there, he didn't look ready to be playing last night.

If he was ill enough to be on a drip he must have been pretty bad. That sort of illness takes a while to get your strength back from. 

Archived