IGNORED

Will the goals dry up?

JamesBCFC

14 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

He is saying that Diedhiou, Reid, Brownhill, and Flint are all scoring more goals than would be expected for the amount of chances/opportunities etc that they get. They a very unlikely to able to sustain that for a whole season. Therefore they are likely (unless we can get them into threating positions more often) to start scoring less often. Which means our goals could dry up. Which could well lead to less positive results. 

However, I think we have goals in players just coming back and not on this list - Djuric and Taylor. And you would hope players like COD will start to score a few more. Add to that there are only 7 players on the chart and I think I read we have had something like 15/16 different scorers this season and I think we'll be ok.

Really interesting though, thanks, James.

We don't create enough from open play but look at Reading last year. Finished 3rd with a poor goal difference. A bit like our Windass final season. 

3 hours ago, bpexile said:

Spot on Tone, I think what JamesBCFC has forgotten is these words from a famous person.

"This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd."

Now if we can stick to this theory we'll blitz em :yawn:

Exactly, well put Sir  :clapping:

11 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

We don't create enough from open play but look at Reading last year. Finished 3rd with a poor goal difference. A bit like our Windass final season. 

we are 3rd on the shots, chances created and goals per game table, (behind wolves and cardiff), we are joint 4th top scorers in the league......what more do you want?

9 hours ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Problem I find with that graph:

1. His stats are based on him playing in midfield prior to this season, players are expected (exceptions excluded) to score less in that position. Its difficult to compare stats from previous seasons to this one as he's playing a whole new position and in a position that should yield more chances to socre , I don't think you can really draw any conclusions off of it to be honest.

2. Are the players scoring more because they have improved from last season? Young players are expected to. Is it because we are creating better quality chances/better service to players that its become easier to score? Our play and I think, the quality of service have improved this season which is most likely the biggest contributing factory to some players improved scoring.

Personal opinion is its more likely that if our general play and quality of service deteriorate, it will have a far bigger impact than some players just having a purple patch.

Reids stats are entirely based on him playing as a striker,  none of it is compared to his previous seasons

12 hours ago, bpexile said:

Spot on Tone, I think what JamesBCFC has forgotten is these words from a famous person.

"This is a very good question and topicold. I would say that if the forward line have a symmetrical teamworkers and that they can from the first passit of the ball... take in mind the measured beat of a one, two, throo or fido... so that the ball can falollop out to the wingers and a very fine trittly how in a run and drop-kick and carry one and shooting in the goal if they can get by without an offsiger which is known on the ref and don't throw the bottload because he's only doing his best. But, er, it'll be hard on their halfbackers because I don't think they'll get a chance to do a falolloper shooty on account of the front line with their deep joy of, shall we say, an express in their enthusiasm to the first who to clop falollop in the goalmouth. Oh yes. Anyway it's a very good question, sir. It's not much about music excepting that half-time in the band falolloped huffalo-dowd."

Now why didn't James put his theory as simply as that?       :dunno:

13 hours ago, Monkeh said:

we are 3rd on the shots, chances created and goals per game table, (behind wolves and cardiff), we are joint 4th top scorers in the league......what more do you want?

Cure for cancer?

Solve world hunger?

Eradicate poverty?

That'll do for starters.

Come on Johnson - sort it out!

17 hours ago, bpexile said:

for the first time in my life, I now understand Aussie rules football, just to fill in the gap and explain cricket, the best explanation yet "batsman Holding Bowlers Willey "

I don't think we are overachieving that much- marginally perhaps but not that much.

Certainly not like this time last year! Ipswich I think will hit the buffers soon for example, and though they have 21 points it's notable to see who they came against. I digress though, individual players might be scoring the odd goal more than they should but overall as a team  I think it seems a much sounder foundation. Whether we will finish 4th I don't know- chipping in as a team. Djuric and Taylor getting back to speed after time out...Expected goals we probably are roughly where we should be- now if other sides aren't that may drop us down a few places or it may improve our position but I don't see any evidence of us getting outrageously or blatantly lucky this year as a whole so far.

@Robert the bruce It means we are clinical yes...but it also means that form may turn and then suddenly the average may see us under-performing to compensate. As it happens I think we're fairly in line with where we should be but maybe a goal or 2 higher- point here, or win instead of draw that should have been there...we'll see.

Just one thing to add, though more relevant at the end of the season.

If a player is scoring goals above the shaded area for the whole season this is an indicator they would be able to step up at the next level.

Hopefully we will see Bobby or Diedhiou stay above that shaded area all year and get a promotion to find out!

14 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Just one thing to add, though more relevant at the end of the season.

If a player is scoring goals above the shaded area for the whole season this is an indicator they would be able to step up at the next level.

Hopefully we will see Bobby or Diedhiou stay above that shaded area all year and get a promotion to find out!

Big call here - but I genuinely believe Reid could and will.

Never thought I'd say that before this season, but he's a very unique style of forward and I believe he has the talent to play at the next level.

Archived