IGNORED

The Bristol City v Cardiff City Match Day Thread 16

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

There are more than 10 million sheep in Wales which accounts for over 80% of the Welsh agricultural economy. In New Zealand, while the number has fallen as the country has diversified into beef and swine, there are 30 million sheep. That is about 1 person for every 7 sheep and in Wales the proportion is 1 for every 3. The subject of sheep is relevant to the subject of football because in the relatively distant past a sheeps bladder was used in the manufacture of a football although it was usually procured from the pig family. I have no statistics on the best sheep bladder but if one assumes that the wool from the Welsh mountain sheep has historically been considered of inferior quality to the English sheep, according to Robert Trow-Smith in his book 'A History of British Livestock Husbandry' , the so too the internals. Sheep have often been used in a derogatory fashion, including on this forum, to talk about football fans from the other side of the bridge. Aside from it being a slight on a football fan, debatable for some, it is also for the sheep. And since I have written much about Cardiff, the city and Cardiff the club I was left with Cardiff the fan. May I request, therefore, that the large part of this opening to a thread is not considered my own personal slight on a Cardiff fan but merely to put forward or hypothesise on the subjects place in the hyperbole of the average English fan and how it all really came about.

To set the tone, in the lightest possible way, I derived a commercial from Toyota which, at the time of airing on New Zealand television in 2006, caused an equal measure of hilarity and outrage. The diaspora of British ancestry in New Zealand may very well have pointed toward a Welsh and English divide in those polarised opinions but, alas, that we shall never know. Perhaps it is more subtle in the New World.

The New Zealand Advertising Standards Authority determined the phrase 'sheep shagger' , as depicted in the TV commercial, was not viewed as offensive to the majority of New Zealanders. And so ended the issue. I have a friend who lives in Christchurch and he echoes my opinion that in New Zealand the authorities tend to debate an issue firstly and then, if they cannot decide, they usually allow it to be trialled and if nobody is hurt and if there is benefit to the local community then whatever it is one usually finds it being adopted. This pragmatic approach seems to have placed New Zealand in good stead down the years. I suspect this commercial would not even be aired let alone be debated, after the event, back in the motherland.

In Prestatyn the phrase was the subject of a 2013 court case, after Anthony Taaffe, yes that was his surname, from Bolton and a guest at a holiday park in Gronant, called an off-duty policeman and security staff "a bunch of sheep shaggers". In Taaffe's defence he claimed that the phrase was "a term for people living in the countryside". He also admitted a second similar offence in which he called a police officer at the custody unit to which he had been taken, a "Welsh sheep shagger". Taaffe was fined £150 after he admitted racially aggravated disorderly behaviour. They clearly don't like it 'up and at em' in Wales. 

There is not a lot of depth or need for such in understanding where this expression derived; in New Zealand, Like Wales, there are more sheep than people and Australia and England respectively have derogatively used the term because of it. Although the following conversation may have happened at some point in history and places a slightly different slant on the origin making out that the Welsh are perhaps rather cunning and the English, taking something at face value, deferentially fair. 

Englishman "You are going to have your hand chopped off with an axe because you stole a sheep." 

Welshman "I was in fact taking the sheep to f--k." 

Englishman "Oh, thats good then our law endorses sheep shaggers. You will only have to lose a finger.

In the Lleyn Peninsula and on the upland plateau between Abergwessin in Brecon and the Devils Bridge in Cardiganshire, to this day, live the purest breed of Welsh sheep. In almost all other areas of Wales the sheep is an amalgam of English and Welsh breeding. The Rhiw Sheep of these two areas is a small tan faced animal light in frame and fleece and virtually unfattable. No wonder Sheep from out yonder were bred in much greater numbers leaving these skinny mountain runts to engage in other obscure pursuits or provide meagre rations of sheep wool for tea towels and old rags. Wales will forever be known for sheep regardless of whether they are of a majority English blood line.

The Yorkshireman in charge of the highest placed Welsh team in the football pyramid crosses the border this morning full of outward bravado and not a little confidence. The Welsh may or may not have the last say on this thread. Marvellous folk they are really entrusting their rise to an Englishman who has certainly so far been doing is usual sterling job. That Wales even have teams in an English league is a unique anomaly that much of the world would not understand. I don't really understand it either but thats for another day. Many say this match is a barometer of how much the club have progressed. I doubt it and, moreover, we should simply place faith in the management to do their homework, set up their team and motivate them with their usual knowhow. The end result will not be season defining but it will be very satisfying to witness broad smiles on our faithful flock come 5pm.

Sheep jibes . 

This is our Justice for Bailey Wright match .

Justice for little Bristol City .

You can kick us but you won't keep us down .

My hope is that young Zac comes in and does himself justice if indeed Pisano is not fit .

If Baker is fit he goes straight back in . 

Otherwise  Joe , Mags, Flinty + Zac.

You can't take Korey out of midfield just when  he is at his best there .

Pato , COD, Bobby , Taylor to create mayhem.

Pack and Djuric to destroy the Budgies .

I am going for a home win and the Cardiff fans , like the fox who ate a duck , go home,  down in the mouth .

Come on me babbers ! 

I have a long term business acquaintance who is a Cardiff season ticket holder and we always have good sensible banter.

I saw him on Wednesday and he seemed genuinely surprised by my thoughts on Tomlin and reckoned he had a marvellous game the previous evening.

I noted he was subbed in the second half but assume that was to conserve his energy for today's game .

The point is we cannot be worried about who we face. If our aim is promotion we have to be able to beat whoever is in front of us and I have more faith in this squad than I have had for a long time.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Ewch i fwyta rhywfaint oen ac eistedd yn y gornel.

I got married in North Wales and the ceremony was in Welsh.

I didn't realise at the time that the vow I was taking was that I'd have to give my ex 75% of all my assets at the divorce stage. Oh well- easy come easy go and it could have been a lot worse if the FA had got involved.

( Will- if you're reading this- she deserved every penny- now stop surfing OTIB and get on with your exam preparation)

• Haha 3
54 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I got married in North Wales and the ceremony was in Welsh.

I didn't realise at the time that the vow I was taking was that I'd have to give my ex 75% of all my assets at the divorce stage. Oh well- easy come easy go and it could have been a lot worse if the FA had got involved.

( Will- if you're reading this- she deserved every penny- now stop surfing OTIB and get on with your exam preparation)

If you didn't understand the contract mate, it's null and void.

• Haha 1

Think they will sit deep, surrender position and try to hit us on the break. If you can defend well, which the number of goals conceded suggest they can and break fast its a very effective way of playing. Sometimes its now easier being the away team as we have proved this year. May not be a bad thing if we have Mags at the back today with a bit of pace.

Following on from Hav's Welsh industry made me think of this Not the nine oclock news sketch (link below) and the one I could not find, "Come home to a real fire, buy a holiday cottage in Wales" (for the ones not old enough to remember go on youtube and search for Not the nine o'clock news for some of the best comedy sketches going)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCEamUarOSI

Well I’m off to work seeing as I booked Friday off initially for the game and then went to change it back I wasn’t allowed, grr, my own fault, should’ve booked the whole weekend off! By the time I’m on my lunch break the game will be over, it’s pissing it down, the misses is time of the month and in my face, my work team is about as good as a chocolate tea pot, Wright is suspended and Tomlin’s still fat as ****, I hate Warnock, anyway I had to get that out! So 3 points to make my day please City, failing that 1 is ok but 3 would be the best

• Like 2

Horrible feeling that the confluence of injuries and Wright's suspension will give them the motivation to get at us from the start and put our makeshift defence under pressure.

Not saying our second string defenders are poor,, but I fancy they will be even more fired up to come at us from kick off and whatever we might think, they are a decent side and if they get on top early on can unfortunately see them coming out winners.

Feel our best chance is to defend high up the pitch, so need our pressing game to take pressure off the defence but might also need a bit of luck coming our way. Tough test for LJ's selection and tactical choices today, and hope he comes up with the right recipe.

The pessimism on here today is palpable....not sure why. Apart from a lacklustre display against Burton & Leeds, we've been right on it, brilliant against Palace, excellent against Sunderland and Fulham. We're in the top 4 on merit and results, not by fluke.

True, previous outings against the sheep shaggers haven't returned the best of results and the possible inclusion of a certain LT might provide added spice to the atmosphere but we're undoubtedly a better 'team' now, working hard, scoring goals, strength from the bench. LJ seems to be inspired this season so far and i hope that continues today against Colin.

Some more optimism please OTIB'ers...!

Going for hard fought 3-1 City win! COYR! :city:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

The pessimism on here today is palpable....not sure why. Apart from a lacklustre display against Burton & Leeds, we've been right on it, brilliant against Palace, excellent against Sunderland and Fulham. We're in the top 4 on merit and results, not by fluke.

True, previous outings against the sheep shaggers haven't returned the best of results and the possible inclusion of a certain LT might provide added spice to the atmosphere but we're undoubtedly a better 'team' now, working hard, scoring goals, strength from the bench. LJ seems to be inspired this season so far and i hope that continues today against Colin.

Some more optimism please OTIB'ers...!

Going for hard fought 3-1 City win! COYR! :city:

I was pretty optimistic until the Wright saga. Just looks like a pretty weakened defence now is all. 

I fear a Leeds, but hopefully we'll keep it much tighter from the start. 

Who would take a point? I can't decide, mainly because I can't decide whether we should be aiming for the top 2 or top 6!