IGNORED

World Cup Playoffs (Merged)

RaspberryRed

Grind of a game. Really thought Australia would balls it up so delighted!!

22 qualifying games and some serious airmiles clocked up.

4 world cups in a row now. Impressive achievement for a small(ish) nation where football is not the main sport.

Just returning home from game and a skinful of pre & post beers. Not a classic but job done. Honduras were poor & Socceroos deserved win. Bailey Wright had little to do but did his job at RB. We will be cannon fodder in Russia but ahead of Italy & Dutch! Happy Days!

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Bailey was the only player in the Aussie back 4 to not get a yellow card. 

At least we don't have to worry about him getting back and rested for Saturday... 

He should be OK come Tuesday I guess. I`m sure he`ll want to play v his old club and he did play in THAT game last season so some setting right of things would no doubt be in order for him.

Unfair on Italy tbh @havanatopia

Pragmatic? They mix it up. Some of the players they had down the years were fabulous technically.

Always had a 'fantasia' in the side. A Baggio or a Totti or a Del Piero. Sometimes had 2 of those in same team. Pirlo was a great passer, Nesta was greatly composed on the ball at the back and I suspect Cannavaro wasn't a long ball clogger (though worse than Nesta of course technically).

Certainly under Lippi in 06 they had a good balance... By no means Cattanecio (not maybe spelt right. Zambrotta especially and Grosso to an extent were definitely attacking full backs.

Of course they had steel also..Cannavaro, Gattuso was terrible technically, Perrotta provided defensive balance on flank and Cameronaise was decent technically but not amazing. Luca Toni held ball up well and was average technically.

So I'd take issue with your assessment of Italy. No, they weren't tiki taka but nor would I say your assessment is fully fair. They had some very fine players indeed down the years and I don't just mean defensively.

Archived