IGNORED

any summer concerts planned??

pillred

22 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

How much do you think Erasure and B*Witched would cost?

Asking for a friend. 

@CyderInACan

Given Bewitched have done Yorkshire Wildlife Park and Butlins Minehead this year I would suggest a few grand, maybe 10k tops. 

Erasure arent expensive but they're not really interested in touring Bigger arenas. We tried to get them at the Manchester Arena last year and they simply weren't interested. Yet they are playing 5-10k capacity venues next year. 

• Admin
15 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Was at "stones at the gate 82" gig but don't think I have been to AG for a concert since..........82 was awesome .....weird thing is I stood in the same place on the enclosure terrace as I did for footy........well it was mine after all........twas a Good gig......Jagger even wore a city shirt for one song.......a few lads climbed onto the roof of the East end and no one seemed to want to go up there and get them off.....danced away for ages they did young rascals eh.....

That was a great day, shame it couldn’t be recreated now, as J Geils died earlier this year and no doubt the H&S nazis would ban the fireworks in the park at the end.

6 minutes ago, palmerred said:

Given Bewitched have done Yorkshire Wildlife Park and Butlins Minehead this year I would suggest a few grand, maybe 10k tops. 

Erasure arent expensive but they're not really interested in touring Bugger arenas. We tried to get them at the Manchester Arena last year and they simply weren't interested. Yet they are playing 5-10k capacity venues next year. 

I thought bugger arenas would be right up Erasures street. So to speak.

Sounds like the clubs best option would be a mini festival of bands of a type who wouldn't individually be overly expensive but would allow for high ticket prices and the opportunity for them to rinse people on food and drink.

A day of semi retired Indie/Britpop types would probably appeal to a demographic with a disposable income who would be quite happy to spend the day drinking pints at a fiver a time having dropped upwards of sixty quid on entry.

53 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That was a great day, shame it couldn’t be recreated now, as J Geils died earlier this year and no doubt the H&S nazis would ban the fireworks in the park at the end.

We were down on baltic wharf fishing that day. The sound was reverberating off the dock wall on the hotwells road side back to us. Can you say LOUD. Pity I was a bit to young to fully appreciate how amazing it was to have the Stones at the Gate., and I was probably more excited at the time that the J Geils band were there!

21 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

He wrote these lyrics for Tommy, so this maybe was an insight:

[Uncle Ernie: Verse 1]
I'm your wicked Uncle Ernie
I'm glad you won't see or hear me
As I fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !

Your mother left me here to mind you
Now I'm doing what I want to

Fiddling about
Fiddling about
Fiddle about!

[Verse 2]
Down with the bedclothes
Up with the nightshirt!
Fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !

You won't shout as I fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about
Fiddle about !
Fiddle, fiddle, fiddle

John Entwistle wrote Fiddle About.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_(album)

2 hours ago, palmerred said:

But those bands are already doing academy tours all over the country. Where they will play in front of 5-10K fans over maybe 20 nights a tour. None of those acts would command a 25-30K venue, or they would be doing the main arena's.

I think even the Colston Hall has these smaller acts performing there as well.

The fact Bristol is building it's own arena says a lot about Ashton Gate. The reality is it would cost 100-200K more a night to put on a gig here than at an arena. Bristol Arena will end up working in unison with the likes of O2 Arena and Manchester Arena and attract bigger acts as part of nationwide tours.

Unless you're a massive stadium it's very difficult to fund big acts and smaller acts simply wont sell enough to make a profit. 

about our arena, I admire your optimism.

2 hours ago, palmerred said:

Erasure arent expensive but they're not really interested in touring Bigger arenas. We tried to get them at the Manchester Arena last year and they simply weren't interested. Yet they are playing 5-10k capacity venues next year. 

They supported Robbie Williams on his Stadium Tour this year and were far the better act . 

12 hours ago, palmerred said:

Yes precisely, last year Little Mix done an arena tour for this year, they charged £100,000 per night and it sold out, they are now the biggest girl group in the UK, their 2018 dates are costing £250,000 a night,  the club in hindsight shoukd have booked them for this summer as a launch for the ground, it would have ended up a huge earner for the club, but instead 12 months ago they were talking to Take That, Justin Bieber and Ed Sheeran who wanted fees the club couldn't sanction, but those were the standard of artist the club wanted. 

In my opinion Pink should be who the club are contacting, she would sell out Ashton Gate in minutes and it would be a money earner. Although not a massive money earner for the cub, but would put Ashton Gate as a music venue on the map. 

Little Mix played Prenton Park, Tranmere's ground in the summer as part of 'Wirral Live', a 3 day event that saw Madness play on the Friday, the Libertines and the Coral on the Saturday (the gig where Corbyn turned up on stage just before the election), then Little Mix on the Sunday, plus assorted support acts for each of the 3 nights. Also in this part of the world, Wrexham's ground hosted the Stereophonics last year (and they've announced they're playing again next summer), then this summer they had UB40 one night, then Olly Murs on another.

As you mention, Little Mix are probably beyond our price bracket now, but if Wrexham can get Olly Murs and the Stereophonics then there's no reason why we couldn't. Both would easily sell out.

How about an all day event. Create a Ashton Gate fan village like matchdays.  Open the concession stands and have several small acts with a slightly larger headliner.  You can charge more for tickets where the staffing and set up costs would be not that much more than hosting a concert.

Brilliant insight @palmerred , really appreciate you passing on your knowledge. It helps to understand things, I've been as guilty as anyone wanting City to put on big acts. Although the bands I'd like to see are unlikely.
As we're talking :whistle:  Where does Nick Cave stand in the grand scheme of things. Seems to gig rarely but I saw lately he was supposed to have said he wanted to do more shows.  The others I wondered about were the Stone Roses, very expensive maybe but would sell out 2 nights easily, even the Pistols, Lydon et al would (seemingly) do anything for the right fee. 
I guess the other way to go would be , as said above, a sort of 'Gatefest'. Public Service Broadcasting, Manics , Slaves sort of thing (other bands are available ). A festival , even one day event , seem to demand higher fees. Plus you could have different music on different days.

Anyway, I like smaller venues so unless it was Cave/Roses/Pistols I don't know whether I'd go. I have tickets for Belly , the Spitfires and probably go to the Echobelly gig all in Bristol. Talking of prices I paid £54 for Weller but refsused to pay £100 or more for Van Morrison.
Thanks again for your input, very interesting.

21 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Beat me to it! 

Ive actually seen B*witched this year at Ashton Court so the bucket list is two fewer (having also seen Toploader there too!) 

Bloody hell mate , you set the bucket list bar low :clapping:

11 hours ago, myol'man said:

The Steps tour next summer (supported by Aqua and Blue!) is playing at small stadiums eg Huish Park Yeovil and Doncaster's ground. Sounds like a bit of a gamble to me 

Steps sold out 2 nights at the Manchester Arena (holds 22K) in 18 hours. Selling out Huish Park will not be a problem.

12 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Further to the above talk of Little Mix, they've released details today of next summer's tour, all outdoor gigs which include dates at various sporting venues - Swansea, Bolton, Huddersfield and Colchester football grounds, Hull KR rugby ground and Derby, Northampton and Sussex cricket grounds.

Indeed they have and we handled the negotiations for the gig at Bolton FC. They agreed a 15 night one month tour for £2.5m, based on capacities of stadiums each venue and hoster was charged differing amounts. Bolton have paid £174K for their gig. Which means the total outlay will be around 500k, and capacity will be around 21,500. Flat cost of ticket £24 to break even. Prices should be around £40-£65 but that will be finalised today with all other venues as when you're part of a grouped tour prices have to be the same. It'll be a good earner for Bolton as it's the only venue in the North West north of Manchester. Huddersfield will attract the Yorkshire fans. Lancs fans will go to Bolton. 

Archived