IGNORED

Matchday parking

bengalcub

I have a dashcam now, that's fun. One rather stupid woman in Portishead smashed my mirror and accused me of driving on the wrong side of the road.  You should have seen her face when I informed her that my video would prove differently.  Then in Filton a couple of months back, I was following a car which crossed 2 lanes smashing into the side of a young lady driving perfectly normally and lifting 2 wheels off the road.  He denied his reckless driving and put the blame on her.  Both her and her insurance company were most grateful for the video I supplied them with :)

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I have a dashcam now, that's fun. One rather stupid woman in Portishead smashed my mirror and accused me of driving on the wrong side of the road.  You should have seen her face when I informed her that my video would prove differently.  Then in Filton a couple of months back, I was following a car which crossed 2 lanes smashing into the side of a young lady driving perfectly normally and lifting 2 wheels off the road.  He denied his reckless driving and put the blame on her.  Both her and her insurance company were most grateful for the video I supplied them with :)

Sounds Like you are good with a camera.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 16:44, bengalcub said:

Quick update as I’m sure some of you were dying to hear , £50 ticket through today and paid , I’ll pass the baton on to the next poor city fan to get stitched up by the pick and choose police parking warden fellow...

Well done lad. A post that wasn't disliked by Redpanda.

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

If you drive a ******* stupid great Chelsea tractor and park in Tesco`s Launceston regularly then very probably!

If it is you just be careful parking next to crappy twelve year old Skodas.

Scum bag. Seems like a low life is a bit jealous of those with more money than you. 

6 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s it isn`t it? These tossers don`t think of the consequences to them. My particular bugbear is idiots in 4x4s who park in places like supermarket carparks and give themselves plenty of room to open their huge drivers doors resulting in their passenger side being about six inches from my door.

What they fail to notice though is that my car is a dented, rusty heap of crap and I couldn`t care less if it got a few more scratches or dents on it. The satisfaction of whacking my drivers door repeatedly into their passenger one `by accident` is extremely satisfying. I`ve sometimes even moved and parked in another space where I can see their reactions when they get back - priceless!

You are a rather naughty individual. 

10 hours ago, RedM said:

I had a PCSO here last Friday. He called the police to tell me to move my car as he was knocking down his shed. In the mean time he placed rubbish bags under my car and blocked me in with more rubbish. The PSCO told him to move it which he did. Her quote when seeing the photo above was ‘that’s either ridiculously bad parking or he’s trying to annoy you’ , well no Shite Sherlock I thought. He told her he was knocking down his shed to build a hard standing. She went away happy. The next day he to,d me different, he was putting gates to spite me basically. Hence I’m looking on this thread for the gates, dropped kerb parking advice.

it is a public maintained lane. We had confirmation from the council years ago. In fact their son had an untaxed car he used to park on the lane. He has long since left home and nobody has parked their for years so my daughter when she passed her test and got a car started to in the Summer. Then suddenly neighbour from hell decides he wants to and started blocking her in etc. Anyway he thought it was a private lane and argued when the car was towed away to the car pound, the council said it was public and has since put drains in for rainwater. The lane has street lighting too which apparently indicates it is a public lane.

we have previously has an harassment case against the wife, and an assault case against him. Both went to court and they pleaded guilty. He has since had an assault warning. I have never been warned or cautioned in anyway nor has any family member (just making this clear)

Have you had previous discussions about the issue? I may have missed that in earlier posts. If not the guy seemingly likes to antagonise whatever the consequences; I mean why not just knock on your door and ask politely to have an adult discussion about the issue. In fact, if you have not done so, go with another person, preferably a man, and do just that and be as nice as pie. In fact, if his wife is disabled take a Victoria Sandwich and just say 'look a piece offering, can we sit down over a cup of tea and piece of cake I made for your wife and see if we can sort this out and get on as neighbours' ... usually works, if you can get him to open the door and listen for 30 seconds. 

I know it takes an awful lot of pride swallowing on your part but you will be by far the better person for it and even if he somehow slams the door in your face you know you tried and he knows, in his heart, bad or not, you are a decent person and he is a bit of a smuck. Try it if you have not done so already. In fact might be better if you take another female, sister or Mum?

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

You are a rather naughty individual. 

Have you had previous discussions about the issue? I may have missed that in earlier posts. If not the guy seemingly likes to antagonise whatever the consequences; I mean why not just knock on your door and ask politely to have an adult discussion about the issue. In fact, if you have not done so, go with another person, preferably a man, and do just that and be as nice as pie. In fact, if his wife is disabled take a Victoria Sandwich and just say 'look a piece offering, can we sit down over a cup of tea and piece of cake I made for your wife and see if we can sort this out and get on as neighbours' ... usually works, if you can get him to open the door and listen for 30 seconds. 

I know it takes an awful lot of pride swallowing on your part but you will be by far the better person for it and even if he somehow slams the door in your face you know you tried and he knows, in his heart, bad or not, you are a decent person and he is a bit of a smuck. Try it if you have not done so already. In fact might be better if you take another female, sister or Mum?

He went to the police, actually he went into the Police station and demanded they came and talked to me. The person at the front desk had no knowledge and arranged for a PCSO to come out. She also had no knowledge as not met him before and accepted what he had told her about wanting to build a place to park.  Unfortunately the neighbourhood police officer and the pCSO who were involved a few months earlier had both left.

After incidents in the summer where he tried pushing me and was verbally and physically abusive he was advised to put any contact in writing and post through my door, so why he went to the police station is a mystery. The Police aknowledge there is no way to get a sensible conversation or dialogue with that household and are themselves tearing their hair out. I told the PCSO he had banged on my door demanding the car to be moved once in August( which isn’t outside his property at all) He was drunk and threatening with gestures so I shut the door in his face and she said I was right to do so.

There is no way to repair any neighbour relations. They have pretty much hated us since we arrived as the person who’s house we purchased used to do everything for them from diy, childcare, lending them money, giving them lifts, gardening etc. We arrived and didn’t offer any of that and drip by drip started making our lives hell ( both private houses by the way, not rented or council). Their family has a lot of problems, social, emotional etc whilst we are ‘normal’.  He puts a shirt and tie on and thinks he’s respectable and wants everyone to jump when he says so, he is a drunken bully who is a racist too. I’ve had it all. No Victoria cake is going to fix the things he has done, and the wife and 50 year old son. He in his 70’s and a nasty piece of work, he drinks and drives every day, I hoping with Karma or the Police will catch up with him soon, but as I said there is still his wife and son to deal with living there (and two sons who don’t). 

I know this thread has gone off on a tangent now, but as I said I wondered if anyone had knowledge of the parking laws as our Ashton Gate residents seem to be able to use cones to their advantage etc.

31 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

RedM if he drinks drives every day, why arnt you calling the police every time he is getting in the car?

Because I am assuming he is getting in just about sober enough to drive. I have told them when he normally arrives home, pub he is in and supermarket where he stocks up for the evening’s drinking at home in the past. I have tried, not only because he is a problem neighbour but more so for any paedestrian or road user out there, I don’t want any injury or death on my conscious. I have been driving home at the same time as him a few times and seen him mount pavements and make other drivers swerve.

I believe the police have to catch him driving or in control of a vehicle, eg just having the keys and attempting to drive is enough? But somehow he is invincible. I believe this is the main reason for wanting to park in the lane, he can easily get the space and doesn’t have to parallel park into a small space which the parking at the front of our houses is like, very tight.

Just having keys and knowing they are about to attempt to drive can be enough, the same as if you even sleep in your car drunk with the keys in the boot you can still be done.

You would be suprised how long booze stays in your system driving, a heavy night drinking, even 5/6 pints you can easily be over the limit the next day.

If you have any hint he has been drinking, id call the police, or call 101 and say you are worried about it and know he does it. The police will probably end up waiting for him to drive and then pull him over.

5 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Just having keys and knowing they are about to attempt to drive can be enough, the same as if you even sleep in your car drunk with the keys in the boot you can still be done.

You would be suprised how long booze stays in your system driving, a heavy night drinking, even 5/6 pints you can easily be over the limit the next day.

If you have any hint he has been drinking, id call the police, or call 101 and say you are worried about it and know he does it. The police will probably end up waiting for him to drive and then pull him over.

Assuming that their nails had finished drying :)

22 hours ago, Monkeh said:

my mum and dad have a lady across the road, her and her mother park like that and leave a note saying to park on your own side of the road,

it was quite funny seeing their neighbor hitting both those bints car's constantly until he got out,

If it didn't cause damage to your car then I'd suggest doing the same but sadly it won't help,

Sadly I think the only thing you can do is call the police and if they manage to come along they will issue a fixed penalty notice, but it may pay to ask @JulieH she may be able to help on the issue

I have scrolled back and read the original post.

you lot are truly testing my law knowledge!

the observation I have is this, is the lane a public road/ highway or private?

this is relevant as we can only carry out our work on public areas, however that is not to say if the lane is blocked by parking a car on a public road blocking it we can then action it.

i think your best bet is to ascertain the status of the lane from council/ highways and then I can advise from there. 

Sorry it’s a bit of a negative reply at this stage. In the meantime I will go and seek out traffic management at hq and ask them !! 

3 hours ago, JulieH said:

the observation I have is this, is the lane a public road/ highway or private?

this is relevant as we can only carry out our work on public areas, however that is not to say if the lane is blocked by parking a car on a public road blocking it we can then action it.

Not true. I live on an unadopted road and if a vehicle restricts emergency access or is used to commit a non motoring offence, obstruction, disorder et al then the police are entitled to act. I know like most other 'minor' offences these days they can't be bothered but act they may. Taken to a logical extreme you suggest police are powerless to act when on private property, which clearly isn't true save in diplomatic and Parliamentary settings. 

Note in the case of protecting emergency access it is not unreasonable to damage a vehicle when necessary to make safe.

30 minutes ago, Paul Turnip said:

ETM are a traffic management (amongst other things) contractor. Presumably employed by the council.

I'm fairly sure the cones put out on City & Bris matchdays are on behalf of the club (unless  this has changed recently) and therefore unenforceable unless in the case of dangerous or illegal parking. 

@RedM I've only read the top part of this page, so may have missed something, but have you got a dash camera in your car?

Reason I ask is that most now you can have set up to either film continuously (not great on your battery), or set it up so that if your car is "knocked" it will automatically come on and hopefully see him "moving away".

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

@RedM I've only read the top part of this page, so may have missed something, but have you got a dash camera in your car?

Reason I ask is that most now you can have set up to either film continuously (not great on your battery), or set it up so that if your car is "knocked" it will automatically come on and hopefully see him "moving away".

That might be a good idea. We are having a bit of a stand off at the moment, as it’s Xmas and family are not working we wanted to do some work on our hardstanding so offered that none of the households park there. We have kept our part and not done so, he on the other hand has continued to block the lane and my gates every day. I’m taking photos etc. I have had no further rubbish and contacted the PCSO who was going to talk to her boss, but I’ve not heard anything for about 10 days. I won’t bother them this time of year but as soon as NY is well clear I’m up to resume the battle. 

Archived