IGNORED

If not a Bristolian

22A

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

A better question is if you moved to Bristol from another part of the country, who would you chooss to support?

1. A team challenging for promotion to the prem, playing in a shiny new ground with a positive owner and playing Manchester United in a League Cup quarter final  

or

?????????

See that’s the odd thing, if I had no family connection in a new town/City I think I’d choose the smaller club.  I think a lot is made of incomers choosing City just because we’re a class above.

9 hours ago, WessexPest said:

I lived in Dundee for a while and opted to follow the Dark Blues even though United had just reached the UEFA Cup final and were indisputably the top team in the city.

Their derbies were interesting, the proximity of the two grounds is well documented but when they played each other the allocation was something like 50:50 at Dens and maybe 60:40 at Tanandice.

It was a strange rivalry; nowhere near as vociferous as the Old Firm or even the Bristol Derby. Attended dozens of Tayside derbies and never saw anything close to crowd trouble.

That's cos they're all mates, mainly due to the proximity of the grounds. Imagine if the Gas played their home games 100 yards away, everyone using the same pubs etc.

Im sure I've read somewhere that they have the same 'firm' for both clubs.

13 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That's cos they're all mates, mainly due to the proximity of the grounds. Imagine if the Gas played their home games 100 yards away, everyone using the same pubs etc.

Im sure I've read somewhere that they have the same 'firm' for both clubs.

They did. The Utility. As you say, no obvious geographical disparity of the two supports’ catchment areas although Utd tended to have more fans from further afield due to their relative success in the 80s. Neither particularly well supported, and constant suggestions they should merge which never went down well. 

21 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Stoke-on-Trent: Port Vale

Having been a season ticket holder as a youngster at Port Vale for over 10 years, I can safely say you haven’t really missed much.

For me:- 

Glasgow :- Rangers.

Sheffield :- Wednesday.

Liverpool:- Liverpool.

Stoke on Trent:- Port Vale.

London:- Tottenham.

Manchester:- Man City.

Birmingham : Villa

Manchester : Man City

Liverpool : Liverpool

Nottingham : Notts County

Sheffield : Sheffield Wednesday

Edinburgh : Hearts

Stoke-on-Trent : Port Vale

Glasgow : Rangers

London : Chelsea

Other derbies : Saints over Pompey, Oxford over Swindon, WBA over Wolves, Swansea over Cardiff, Plymouth over Exeter, Arsenal over Spurs.

South Glos : Forest Green over the 15ers 

On 17/12/2017 at 14:38, 22A said:

I set this poser a few years ago and wondered if anyone had changed their mind, or if younger Members would like to add their opinion.

If you were not a Bristolian, but came from another city with more than one club which would you support? In the list below, my preference is first named.

Villa / Brum,    Utd / City,    'pool / Everton,    Blades / Owls,   Forest / County,   Hearts / Hibs.                                                                                                                                                  Hmm, funny coincidence; each time I've opted for the team that wears red (or a shade of it).

I've omitted London & Glasgow as the choice there would probably be determined by which part of the town you live in or family background.

Villa, Utd (used to live in Manchester and Citeh fans were obsessed by ManUre to the point they were happier when Utd lost than when they won), Everton, Owls, Forest (though don't really care), Hearts

If I was a Northern monkey i would support Man Utd

If I was a Welsh sheep worrier I would support Swansea

If I was a London spiv I would support Tottenham

If I was a North East coal miner I would support Roflcastlol

If I was a scouse car thief I would support Everton

If I minced about on the south coast I would support Bournemouth

If I farmed pigs in the East I would support Norwich

If I was a mouth breathing Scot I would support Rangers

If I was a cider drinking wurzel i would support Bristol City 

Archived