IGNORED

If not a Bristolian

22A

I set this poser a few years ago and wondered if anyone had changed their mind, or if younger Members would like to add their opinion.

If you were not a Bristolian, but came from another city with more than one club which would you support? In the list below, my preference is first named.

Villa / Brum,    Utd / City,    'pool / Everton,    Blades / Owls,   Forest / County,   Hearts / Hibs.                                                                                                                                                  Hmm, funny coincidence; each time I've opted for the team that wears red (or a shade of it).

I've omitted London & Glasgow as the choice there would probably be determined by which part of the town you live in or family background.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

I set this poser a few years ago and wondered if anyone had changed their mind, or if younger Members would like to add their opinion.

If you were not a Bristolian, but came from another city with more than one club which would you support? In the list below, my preference is first named.

Villa / Brum,    Utd / City,    'pool / Everton,    Blades / Owls,   Forest / County,   Hearts / Hibs.                                                                                                                                                  Hmm, funny coincidence; each time I've opted for the team that wears red (or a shade of it).

I've omitted London & Glasgow as the choice there would probably be determined by which part of the town you live in or family background.

Whoever my family supported for generations before me, why else would I as someone born in the Midlands and spending their childhood in Manchester support BCFC!

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

Exactly my reasoning for originally supporting CITY  when I first moved from London. When I was first old enough to watch football I lived in Woolwich, nearest club Charlton(Red) with a soft spot for a team that started out at Woolwich - Arsenal (Red) . So although I reside in the North of the city there was only ever going to be one team to support PLUS it was the only Bristol team that I had really heard of.

I lived in Dundee for a while and opted to follow the Dark Blues even though United had just reached the UEFA Cup final and were indisputably the top team in the city.

Their derbies were interesting, the proximity of the two grounds is well documented but when they played each other the allocation was something like 50:50 at Dens and maybe 60:40 at Tanandice.

It was a strange rivalry; nowhere near as vociferous as the Old Firm or even the Bristol Derby. Attended dozens of Tayside derbies and never saw anything close to crowd trouble.

22 minutes ago, 22A said:

Nailsea / Clevedon

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Nothing would make me want to go to Selhurst however. :pinch:

Yep, Selhurst sucked. But I still went. And still do go when Wimbledon come to the South West.

But nowadays I get my main fix taking my son to watch his local club: bcfc.

Nice to know there's at least one other on here keeping an eye out for the Dons. :)

34 minutes ago, 22A said:

In Birmingham, Villa.

In Manchester I'd probably go to one of the Greater Manchester teams, Oldham perhaps, can't stand either Manure or Citeh.

In Liverpool I'd probably travel down the road to Tranmere.

Sheffield FC.

Nottingham is tough to choose, don't care about either club.

Edinburgh City.

40 minutes ago, 22A said:

West Midlands - West Brom

Man City

Liverpool

Owls

Derby

Hearts.

London - Spurs, Glasgow - Rangers.

In Birmingham - Villa

In Manchester - As I'm old, I would probably have followed Citeh but enjoyed their rise even though it go's against everything I believe in.

In Liverpool (I nearly was) - Everton. I've alot of family in Scouseland and they are all toffees.

In Sheffield - United.

In Nottingham - Probably Forest as they were building their most successful side during my formative years. 

Glasgow- Celtic

Edinburgh - Hibernian

London - Tottenham Hotspurs or maybe even Millwall. Lived up there for a year a long time ago and found myself watching midweek games at the Den if City weren't in town. I quite enjoyed it TBH.

I have Family from Liverpool who support Everton, also Family in Huddersfield who support Huddersfield, Jon stead is a 2nd cousin of mine, never met or spoke to him but always see pictures on Instagram of my cousins with him regularly, can’t help but feel jealous :ermm: 

However Newcastle, the city, has always appealed to me, been there numerous times and the people are amazing. I may be moving there next year and buying a house, won’t get to many City games then that’s for sure! So that’s who I would pick, granted there isn’t another team in the city, that are any good anyway, so a bit of a different answer to your question. 

Birmingham - WBA or Walsall

Sheffield - Wednesday

Nottingham - County

Liverpool - Tranmere

Manchester - probably someone like Bury or Rochdale - Bury I expect as I like Gigg Lane and have always had good away days there.

Edinburgh - Hibs

Dundee - Utd.

Glasgow - one of the neutral ones so you don`t get caught up in all the sectarian stuff - probably Partick.

London - Charlton, Orient, Brentford or Fulham depending on where I was living I suppose.

It depends on so many outside factors though - where you live, family allegiances, school friends and so much else. For instance I`m from Taunton and started going to City because my mates did but it could just have easily been Exeter as quite a few did that too. The closest would have been Yeovil but they were non-league so didn`t really figure.

Birmingham: Neither Villa or Birmingham

Manchester: Man City

Liverpool: Everton

Nottingham: Notts County

Sheffield: Sheffield Wednesday

Edinburgh: Hearts

Stoke-on-Trent: Port Vale

Glasgow: Queen of the South

London: Brentford

Other derbies: Pompey over Saints, Oxford over Swindon, WBA over Wolves, Swansea over Cardiff, Exeter over Plymouth, Arsenal over Spurs.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

In Birmingham: Villa

In Manchester: City

In Liverpool: Liverpool

In Sheffield: Owls

In Nottinham: Forest

In Edinburgh: The Hi Bees

In London: Arsenal

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Ditto, except Hearts over Hibs.

Generally I favour the smaller club but exception for Sheffield Wednesday as a footballing side rather than the thuggish cloggers of Utd.

Yep. Having seen hears play this morning, I’m definitely a converted Hearts fan. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep. Having seen hears play this morning, I’m definitely a converted Hearts fan. 

Cracking performance.

Thinking about the football teams I am the polar opposite of @22A, not just for those examples but because I do not like / prefer / favour a single other team who plays in red.  I hadn't thought about it before but probably it's my subconscious thinking "There's only one team in red".

Archived