IGNORED

Decent Indian Restaurant - Suggestions please

54-46

My personal favourite is the Raj Bari on Hotwells Rd. Just a short walk from the many bars/pubs around the docks and the Bear in Hotwells. 

I rate it highly and haven't been to a different Indian in Briz for ages but I'm  sure there are others that are just as good.

35 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

As per title

Its my lad’s 16th soon and he loves a Ruby.

Been to a few in town but usually at the end of a night on the beer so wondered if anyone could recommend one that’s a bit special for a “proper” evening meal. 

Thanks 

As @Kid in the Riot says, Urban Tandoor is great. If you want something a bit more upmarket, the Mint Room in Clifton is amazing, if pricey:

http://www.mintroombristol.co.uk/

14 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I have only been to the Urban Tandoor once, but I thought it excellent.

Lal Jomi (sp?) was always excellent, but since I last went there in 1990, every chance it has closed and the building is now a Starbucks. 

Urban Tandoor, in Small Street, is indeed very good, with excellent service and food.

Nevertheless, I think I prefer the food in Lal Jomi - I'm assuming you mean the restaurant on the corner in Redland - but, in all the years I have eaten there, I have never once been seated at my table at the time reserved. I must have spent hours sitting on those chairs in the reception area, and never once has there been even a hint of an apology.

So. for a special event, I guess I would plump for UT, especially as the surrounding area is far more interesting.

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Urban Tandoor, in Small Street, is indeed very good, with excellent service and food.

Nevertheless, I think I prefer the food in Lal Jomi - I'm assuming you mean the restaurant on the corner in Redland - but, in all the years I have eaten there, I have never once been seated at my table at the time reserved. I must have spent hours sitting on those chairs in the reception area, and never once has there been even a hint of an apology.

So. for a special event, I guess I would plump for UT, especially as the surrounding area is far more interesting.

Is the Lal Jomi still going? Must take a trip down memory lane, this time without Dermo.

3 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Is the Lal Jomi still going? Must take a trip down memory lane, this time without Dermo.

I last went there about 18 months ago.

Nothing had changed.

Table booked for 20H00, seated at about 20H30 and vowed 'Never Again'. 

Good service, though, and excellent food, so we shall probably go back....

• Admin
55 minutes ago, 54-46 said:

I’m in Whitchurch mate. Paprika and Blue Ginger are both pretty decent, but prob looking to go a bit more central

Had some crap food and service in Paprika a few years back, once Blue Ginger opened it became a regular haunt and I’m still friendly with the lads who ran it.  The other night popped into Paprika as it’s changed hands and the food was great, had Naga Mirchi, will definitely go back.  Going over to Saltford on NYE to see the lads in Golden Moments, never had a bad one in BG when they had it and the new guys aren’t too bad.

Away from Bristol, I like the Eastern Eye in Bath, fantastic high ceiling in an old building and have always had good food in there.

If you don't mind traveling, The Indian Accent is an amazing Indian Restaurant. It's about £150 for 4 courses a head and is by far the best Indian Restaurant in London, if not the UK. The one in India, is classed as the best Indian Restaurant in the world. Definitely worth a visit if anywhere near Mayfair.  

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Urban Tandoor sounds like it meets your requirements.  Centre of town, nice venue and has picked up several awards in the last few years since it's been open including best curry house in the UK.

www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/bristol-curry-house-officially-best-775273.amp 

I've been to the Urban three or four times and have never been overly impressed with it.

Nothing wrong with the food or service, it's just very average.

On 18/12/2017 at 20:54, 54-46 said:

As per title

Its my lad’s 16th soon and he loves a Ruby.

Been to a few in town but usually at the end of a night on the beer so wondered if anyone could recommend one that’s a bit special for a “proper” evening meal. 

Thanks 

If you're prepared to travel then look no further than this place, i used to travel up regularly, well worth it.

They don't sell alcohol in the restaurant, but they own the off license next door and you can BYO

http://www.adilbalti.co.uk/

On 12/29/2017 at 03:46, ForeverRed said:

Lal Jomi .....went there for my stag do 15 years ago. Booked for 20 but they only had 16 seats. so walked out and went somewhere else

Sounds familiar.

On one occasion some years ago, I booked for six, and they gave us one table for four and put two of us on a table on the other side of the restaurant until a table for six became available for the main courses.

Archived