IGNORED

IF City beat Man C

22A

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We won't get pat the mighty Manchester Citeh. They're a fantastic team as the PL form shows. We'll lose both games probably by an agragate score of 5 or 6, maybe even 7 or 8.

The good news is two fold 1) City will have had a tremendous cup run and put City on the national map. 2) LJ will get the chance to meet his idol Pep and learn even more from the Man City set up and philosophy and that's a very positive factor for City under LJ.

Quite agree. Obviously we have to play to win over the two legs, but Manchester City are soooooooooo far in front of anyone else we won't survive a two legged semi final. Bristol City have gone beyond my wildest dreams in this seasons EFL, and fear a hugely unlikely victory over Manchester City would have a negative effect on our promotion bid. I'm hoping for the best, but fear a king sized walloping.

Man City and out and promoted to The Premier League in May would (for me) be a first class season

35 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We'll have a right go against Man City but they're streets ahead of everyone else. If Pep puts out the kids we might have a small chance but anything resembling their first 11 and we will probably get battered. Let's just enjoy the fact that we're in the semi final as, I would imagine, our run will, unfortunately, end against City. :(

Manchester Red put out a strong side and we matched the result Manchester Blue got against them in the league.

We would be in for a tough game but if you approach it with a defeatist attitude you will lose.

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Manchester Red put out a strong side and we matched the result Manchester Blue got against them in the league.

We would be in for a tough game but if you approach it with a defeatist attitude you will lose.

Totally appreciated James. Obviously, I would love us to win.

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember us playing Leeds over 2 games in '74 in the FA Cup in January when Leeds were unbeaten in all competitions at the time, it can be done

That was then and this now. Leeds, good side  that they were aren't a patch on the current Man Citeh team/squad

Who knows what will happen over the next month or so?

Man City could suffer some key injuries and their priority is the league and Champions League above the EFL cup. This may determine Pep’s approach to the tie against us. He may try and blow us away in the first leg and use second string players for the second leg. A lot of games for both teams before they play each other in the Semi final!

i didn’t think we would beat Man U but we did and there is something about our club and the atmosphere surrounding it that gives me the feeling they think they can give anyone a game

one thing we know is, football is unpredictable and miracles can happen and do

I just hope we are still in the tie come the second leg and the gate is a cauldron of noise - Then who knows? 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That was then and this now. Leeds, good side  that they were aren't a patch on the current Man Citeh team/squad

That Leeds side was incredible, I think you've forgotten how good they were. Football is different now with all the foreign players over here so it's difficult to compare but they were by far the best side in England when we played them, and we were near the foot of Div 2 whereas we're 3rd now so I think it's a fair comparison.

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That Leeds side was incredible, I think you've forgotten how good they were. Football is different now with all the foreign players over here so it's difficult to compare but they were by far the best side in England when we played them, and we were near the foot of Div 2 whereas we're 3rd now so I think it's a fair comparison.

it certainly was an incredible victory. The result even made the front page of The Times (unheard of at the time). However if history repeats... Liverpool beat us in the next round. I personally we feel we have as much chance as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, and would very much have preferred to pull Arsenal as I feel we may have neaten them over two legs.

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

it certainly was an incredible victory. The result even made the front page of The Times (unheard of at the time). However if history repeats... Liverpool beat us in the next round. I personally we feel we have as much chance as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, and would very much have preferred to pull Arsenal as I feel we may have neaten them over two legs.

We're saving Arsenal for the final.

37 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

People around the world will spontaneously combust if we beat the Citizens.

The result would be earth shattering .

We can do it .

I'll spontaneously ejaculate if we win. Out of my eyes.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

OK, we need to win 2 of our next 3 cup games.  Losing by the odd goal at manchester can be turned around in the 2nd leg.

Our next cup game is the FA cup 3rd round vs Watford, so technically we would need to win at least two of the next four cup games to reach the Karibou cup final. (Excluding Gloucestershire Senior Cup)

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Were they not unbeaten in 30 odd games before and never won for another 16 after ?

Just watched bournmouths attempt to beat man city and what I hope Lee Johnson takes from it is to play our normal game. They attempted 5-4-1 and keep it tight. Ended up 20% possession and conceding 4 goals. You could have all 11 players in the box all game and they would still pass there way through they are that good . Only tactic would be to try and play on the front foot and take the game to them constantly harass and close them down. Bournemouth players half heartedly closed them down but stood off when they reached the player.  Watford, Stoke, Crystal palace and man Utd couldn't deal with it maybe man city likewise.

9 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Just watched bournmouths attempt to beat man city and what I hope Lee Johnson takes from it is to play our normal game. They attempted 5-4-1 and keep it tight. Ended up 20% possession and conceding 4 goals. You could have all 11 players in the box all game and they would still pass there way through they are that good . Only tactic would be to try and play on the front foot and take the game to them constantly harass and close them down. Bournemouth players half heartedly closed them down but stood off when they reached the player.  Watford, Stoke, Crystal palace and man Utd couldn't deal with it maybe man city likewise.

It's the same with almost all of the PL sides lower down the table. The quality of footballer is way too good to stand off, unless you've got a very disciplined team with the character and ability to withstand a 90 minute bombardment. The only way you succeed is trying to play football on your terms.

They have played weakened sides so far in this cup, and have been taken to penalties twice. The one thing I am hanging on too!

Getting concerned however their lead is getting such that they could go pretty full strength in the semi against us, and rest players in a league match!

11 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

Our next cup game is the FA cup 3rd round vs Watford, so technically we would need to win at least two of the next four cup games to reach the Karibou cup final. (Excluding Gloucestershire Senior Cup)

If we're going to be pedantic. I think you mean carabao cup. It must be the time of year cos the karibou or caribou is a reindeer. 

3 hours ago, cityexile said:

They have played weakened sides so far in this cup, and have been taken to penalties twice. The one thing I am hanging on too!

Getting concerned however their lead is getting such that they could go pretty full strength in the semi against us, and rest players in a league match!

I'm sure there would be rules in place in the league to prevent this?

Think Pep will go with a strong side the first leg in hope of battering us 4/5-0 so that his players can be rested in the return leg. 

I don't think we'll be able to play through them like we did with Man U, but I think we could definitely trouble them more with our set pieces. 

8 hours ago, Redsi2 said:

They are so used to having teams sit back against them, but I hope we show them no respect. Go at them, get in there face, if we lose playing like we normally do so what, the chances of us winning the cup are minimal (we will dream though). All I’d asked from the players and Johnson is to not change our style of play. 

West Ham went there on the front foot and should’ve got a draw if not a win. 

Archived