IGNORED

Bah Humbug, Christmas Grouches Meet here thread

RedM

It’s that time of year again. Hate it with a passion. I’ve written in another thread about the only good thing about C*******s is the football and I’m right hacked off I’m not going to QPR today or Villa after that.

Hope you ‘believers’ have a nice one, but for some it’s not a great time.

M xx

34 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

That time of year when us kindred spirits must put up with the bullshit that infects society once a year, I bloody hate it.  Been a few years now that we have been soulmates on this @RedM

Absolutely, I was hoping you would respond, we stand together on this. Just a short while and a lot of crap to get through and once New Year well out the way things will settle down again. 

I don't give a stuff about the frippery of Christmas, don't have kids, and have seen my family on Christmas day itself once in the past 20+ years, but I love Christmas day here: meet on the beach and then late luncheon with friends.

Having said all that, New Year's Eve can go stand on an upturned plug and then a garden rake. This year I'll be spending it holed up at a Heathrow hotel and that's perfectly fine by me.

Another one joining this miserable band.

I can't wick Christmas. 2010 spoilt it for me when we had that bad weather and I couldn't get everything done, which in turn, me realise what a money making exercise it is.

Usually the TV detracts me but this year it's complete shite too (apart from Dr Who).

Noisy kids, too much food, crap TV, having to cook the dinner and then clean it all up after... I hate the lot. 

Don't mind New Year though. We always go to our neighbours and get pissed up playing stupid games. This year is Cards Against Humanity. No need to drive, can literally crawl 20 seconds door to door. It's amazing.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Another one joining this miserable band.

Noisy kids, too much food, crap TV, having to cook the dinner and then clean it all up after...

Don't mind New Year though.

I don’t have kids, so no noise from them, can you have too much food? I am not a big TV watcher, I am saving episode 3 of LoG for Xmas day....  cook dinner - I usually have beans on toast, nice and easy!

I used to do the going out getting pissed thing at NY, not anymore, I can drink in peace all year round, so tend to avoid the mass celebrations which inevitably involve part time drinkers who spoil it.  Although this year I have been persuaded to go to an Indian restaurant for the evening, last few years I have sat at home with a bottle or two, watching Jules Holland’s Hootenanny - that is the longest time I spend in front of a TV all year......

My biggest gripe, the bloody pub on Xmas day lunchtime.  Full of muppets with Xmas jumpers on, no idea of pub etiquette and probably the last time they were there was Ethel’s birthday or last Xmas day....  I have observed a group come in, they then sit at a table, the furthest from the bar and organise the deafest, least ambulant and mentally slowest of the family to go to the bar.  He then spends 20+ minutes of the very valuable 120 minutes the pub is open, tying up one barman/maid, as they inevitably forget what someone ordered, Uncle George ordered John Smiths, the pub doesn’t sell it — now recall they sat at the table furthest from the bar - so back they go and relay that Johns Smiths isn’t available ( foul muck only fit for pouring down the drain, but that’s by the by), Uncle George then takes several minutes to decide on Worthington ( also foul muck) the doddery old git buying the round goes back to the bar to relay this news.

By now, the queue is 3 or 4 deep, a few thirsty regulars, who know exactly what they want and another few doing exactly the same as the object of my wrath.  Finally the round is done and the assorted shite drinks, half pints of piss water keg beer and eggnogs ( Landlord happy to get rid of the out of date eggnog), when just as the barman is going to move onto a customer who has grown 5 o’clock shadow waiting, the annoying twat realises that he didn’t order Aunty Maud’s Harvey’s Bristol Cream, they don’t sell it, the gimpy shuffle back to the furthest table happens again, she decides on the house sherry, another 5 of the oh so precious 120 gone...... And you wonder why I hate Christmas!!!

One Landlord at my local pub used to have a barman, who was only allowed to serve regulars on Xmas morning, it was great, pub etiquette was observed, banter was had and the once or twice people a year visitors were left bemused by the fact that those who supported the business 52 weeks a year got preferential treatment over those who, were they birds, would have the twitchers out in force, given their rarity......

Roll on Jan 2nd!!!

I have a bottle of bourbon, lots of pate and crackers, sweets, and pizzas in the fridge - going to binge watch all the shows I have not had a chance to watch over the next 3 days off. Going to totally switch off from the outside world until Tuesday where I will venture out for my football fix before slinking home and turtling up again... see you the other side of this stupid holiday.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I don’t have kids, so no noise from them, can you have too much food? I am not a big TV watcher, I am saving episode 3 of LoG for Xmas day....  cook dinner - I usually have beans on toast, nice and easy!

I used to do the going out getting pissed thing at NY, not anymore, I can drink in peace all year round, so tend to avoid the mass celebrations which inevitably involve part time drinkers who spoil it.  Although this year I have been persuaded to go to an Indian restaurant for the evening, last few years I have sat at home with a bottle or two, watching Jules Holland’s Hootenanny - that is the longest time I spend in front of a TV all year......

My biggest gripe, the bloody pub on Xmas day lunchtime.  Full of muppets with Xmas jumpers on, no idea of pub etiquette and probably the last time they were there was Ethel’s birthday or last Xmas day....  I have observed a group come in, they then sit at a table, the furthest from the bar and organise the deafest, least ambulant and mentally slowest of the family to go to the bar.  He then spends 20+ minutes of the very valuable 120 minutes the pub is open, tying up one barman/maid, as they inevitably forget what someone ordered, Uncle George ordered John Smiths, the pub doesn’t sell it — now recall they sat at the table furthest from the bar - so back they go and relay that Johns Smiths isn’t available ( foul muck only fit for pouring down the drain, but that’s by the by), Uncle George then takes several minutes to decide on Worthington ( also foul muck) the doddery old git buying the round goes back to the bar to relay this news.

By now, the queue is 3 or 4 deep, a few thirsty regulars, who know exactly what they want and another few doing exactly the same as the object of my wrath.  Finally the round is done and the assorted shite drinks, half pints of piss water keg beer and eggnogs ( Landlord happy to get rid of the out of date eggnog), when just as the barman is going to move onto a customer who has grown 5 o’clock shadow waiting, the annoying **** realises that he didn’t order Aunty Maud’s Harvey’s Bristol Cream, they don’t sell it, the gimpy shuffle back to the furthest table happens again, she decides on the house sherry, another 5 of the oh so precious 120 gone...... And you wonder why I hate Christmas!!!

One Landlord at my local pub used to have a barman, who was only allowed to serve regulars on Xmas morning, it was great, pub etiquette was observed, banter was had and the once or twice people a year visitors were left bemused by the fact that those who supported the business 52 weeks a year got preferential treatment over those who, were they birds, would have the twitchers out in force, given their rarity......

Roll on Jan 2nd!!!

As a friend commented to me the other day, the sort of idiots who clutter up pubs for 1 week of the year around Christmas and New Year are akin to people who go to the gym for a couple of weeks in January and get in the way of the regulars.

10 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I'm a New Year grouch, W.T.F. is all the fuss about ?

Absolutely hate it.

(Love Xmas though :whistle:)

I agree, New Years Eve is utter crap. People standing around waiting to pull a party popper to signal the end of the  long christmas break. It should be a black armband event.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

As a friend commented to me the other day, the sort of idiots who clutter up pubs for 1 week of the year around Christmas and New Year are akin to people who go to the gym for a couple of weeks in January and get in the way of the regulars.

I see the similarity, as I frequent both the Gym and pubs all year round.....

And there was me thinking it was only me who hates Christmas & all the bullshit that comes with it but that was kind of down to my frame of mind of the last few years!!

But it’s got to be solely the biggest waste of space ever invented & whoever did invent it (and no I’m not going to google it to find out as I don’t give a shit) needed to have a rocket inserted up their jacksie, I absolutely hate turkey but **** it, let’s spend more on a meat that I hate, than a decent steak is worth & force me to eat it!! But it is only one day, the other 15lb of the dried out carpet will go in the bin after that one meal!!

No football on the day, wtf is that all about? Even the Yanks have got it right by having their football played on the day!! Absolute horse shit on tv for 2 weeks while people pretend to love each other, get real, half the population are shagging someone else at the Christmas do!!

BAH ******* HUMBUG!!

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

And there was me thinking it was only me who hates Christmas & all the bullshit that comes with it but that was kind of down to my frame of mind of the last few years!!

But it’s got to be solely the biggest waste of space ever invented & whoever did invent it (and no I’m not going to google it to find out as I don’t give a shit) needed to have a rocket inserted up their jacksie, I absolutely hate turkey but **** it, let’s spend more on a meat that I hate, than a decent steak is worth & force me to eat it!! But it is only one day, the other 15lb of the dried out carpet will go in the bin after that one meal!!

No football on the day, wtf is that all about? Even the Yanks have got it right by having their football played on the day!! Absolute horse shit on tv for 2 weeks while people pretend to love each other, get real, half the population are shagging someone else at the Christmas do!!

BAH ******* HUMBUG!!

F.M. backwards, I'm Saint Nick compared to you! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

I work with people who get themselves into a whole world of debt just to buy presents each year just to keep up with the neighbours!

Why!!!

Exactly. I have hardly spent much on tomorrow, not because I'm a mean cow but I couldn't think of what to buy my family. If they want/need things I often buy it and give it throughout the year instead of waiting for Xmas and birthdays. I don't need a stack of presents to show them I care on one particular day.

I really hate seeing  people saying 'look what X gave me for Christmas' when it's something ordinary like a handbag or shoes or something. If I want/need something like that I will buy it and use it, I'm not going to wait months and months for Christmas what's the bloody point!!!

Some goes for Weddings, hate them. I've known friends divorced before the expensive Wedding has been paid for. 

Archived