IGNORED

Can Lee be Ruhless in Love ?

BobBobSuperBob

Post Match yesterday the very first words Lee said 'in interview was ' I Love my players .....'

Came across as a totally genuine / natural statement and personally thought it was a really nice thing to hear and bodes well in so many ways and explains the bond that exists at the moment and the reason for current success which appears to further increase the bond

Heard a player (unrelated to City) say in the week 'if you know the manager likes you , you will do everything you can to please him'

A potent mix

There were definite issues last season , for whatever reasons and the turn on and off the pitch has been outstanding , breathtaking and long may it continue - so good to be around and part of

What it does mean is that Lee is going to be rapidly confronted with difficult choices , leaving out or even moving on players that have sweated blood for him .......some stressful decisions ahead !

It will be interesting if with the obvious respect he has for these players whether he can find the ruthlessness to make those harsh decisions at the right time - a real tough one and a intensely difficult balance to manage and I don't envy him (I wonder whether Jamie Mc and DH may be more ruthless when needed and may help him in that respect / balance)

Thoughts anyone ?

I think he has, in another way, shown he can do this.

He has already hooked Djuric off at half time even though he himself was playing alright because Djuric on the pitch was letting our players hoof instead of playing as instructed (Preston game).

Also Pack was sensational on Wednesday but not starting yesterday, obviously tiredness can play a part, but all our players strike me as wanting to play every game.

Selling a player is a different prospect though.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think he has, in another way, shown he can do this.

He has already hooked Djuric off at half time even though he himself was playing alright because Djuric on the pitch was letting our players hoof instead of playing as instructed (Preston game).

Also Pack was sensational on Wednesday but not starting yesterday, obviously tiredness can play a part, but all our players strike me as wanting to play every game.

Selling a player is a different prospect though.

I have a feeling that he will make those tough the decisions come the time , but clearly he is a nice bloke who will find it tough

Having said that he's been in professional sport all his life so should be well used to this

I think he will have the stones to do it. Last season's run has taught him alot. 

It will be great times ahead when we have the ability to upgrade on Patterson Bryan etc.

The chemistry is right. He has the players pulling in the same direction. 

However if he had a fully fit squad likes of Engvall Hegeler Taylor Wright etc would see limited game time. 

LJ has created an environment of healthy competition. 

I think he will make the correct decisions and taken on the guidence of Mark Ashton. 

20 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Post Match yesterday the very first words Lee said 'in interview was ' I Love my players .....'

Came across as a totally genuine / natural statement and personally thought it was a really nice thing to hear and bodes well in so many ways and explains the bond that exists at the moment and the reason for current success which appears to further increase the bond

Heard a player (unrelated to City) say in the week 'if you know the manager likes you , you will do everything you can to please him'

A potent mix

There were definite issues last season , for whatever reasons and the turn on and off the pitch has been outstanding , breathtaking and long may it continue - so good to be around and part of

What it does mean is that Lee is going to be rapidly confronted with difficult choices , leaving out or even moving on players that have sweated blood for him .......some stressful decisions ahead !

It will be interesting if with the obvious respect he has for these players whether he can find the ruthlessness to make those harsh decisions at the right time - a real tough one and a intensely difficult balance to manage and I don't envy him (I wonder whether Jamie Mc and DH may be more ruthless when needed and may help him in that respect / balance)

Thoughts anyone ?

I am sure LJ will make the right decisions when he has to . The way the squad is giving it all every week and sometimes in different formations says it all about the overall collective belief and how they back each other up . QPR second half was real evidence of a tough minded team who simply do not know how to give up . Watched Flint closely from where I was sitting and he literally played like a man possessed and it rubbed off 

it is passionate times and good to hear the coach unhesitatingly express his feelings for the team .The concern is the squad is now significantly stretched . It will be interesting to see who if anyone he looks to bring in January.

merry Xmas all 

Last season LJ spent much of it 'filtering' the players to find out who he wanted to retain and those players he could trust. I posted previously that he was like a mechanic building an engine. 

That chopping and changing the team most weeks last season was a significant part in the topsy turvy campaign.

He now has created a squad who have bought in to his philosophy and are all very capable of meeting the demands of the high press, high energy style - and that's the difference between this and last season.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Think it’s a mixture of head over heart with football. I’m sure every parent on here will love their kids to death, but doesn’t mean they won’t tell them what’s what now and then 

My little ones 12 weeks old and I repeatedly tell them their terrible at football. I mean I’ll pass her the ball and it’ll hit her and she starts crying. Honestly she’s useless, watches too much of the primadonas. 

I might have to hit her with a Vinnie Jones tackle to toughen her up a bit

11 hours ago, MarcusX said:

He managed to (I assume) convince flinty to stay, but made tough decisions to drop him when his head was turned. I think he’ll be fine

More that no one matched our valuation and the fact he is bound to us on a long contract, but I concur he has ensured that Flint head was not screwed over loss of earnings on a bigger wedge than here ? Some players might have done a ‘Kodja’ and refused to play.

having listened to MA and LJ I have no doubt we will have RB on loan pretty quick and like wise a Mobile Target man with MD and FD out for still foreseeable. January will be interesting for us, think a few might go as well.  Both LJ and MA reinforce who ever arrrives will not mess up the spirit within the club.  

Lets enjoy the ride again 

8 hours ago, simon uk said:

I wonder how much of last season and the difference this season was down to tomlin?? Seems to me him being here was a massive detriment, and the unity now has significantly increased

I recall after the win at Brighton end of last season I put up a post that it was noticeable while the rest of the team and bench celebrated the points to assure us championship football Tomlin was not to be seen. Not part of it.  Seemed to vanish. I got shot at a bit for that but this season we are a totally different animal, no more Tomlins please in January. ( hindsight is a wonderful thing, I was chuffed when we signed him on a permenant, even more chuffed when he went. Strange old world)

Archived